Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student

For my IGCSEs I got
    7A*s (Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, French, Maths, ICT, Physics)
    2Bs (English Language, English Literature)

I'm currently doing AS Level in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. I will be continuing all 4 subjects for A levels. My aim is 4As this year and A*A*AA next year.

I did a mock UKCAT without any practice or studying and got 2560.

I've gotten 8.5 in ILETS

ReputationRep:
    Not Oxford, probably not Edinburgh (but check their scoring system yourself after doing the UKCAT), potentially not Birmingham? (but i think you would be okay- check their offer calculator online). Probably everywhere else is okay IF you get high scores on your UKCAT/BMAT. Theyre the main things tbh. Don't waste any more UKCAT mocks without doing prep first- you're going to want as much practice as you can get when it comes to preparing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello2906)
    Not Oxford, probably not Edinburgh (but check their scoring system yourself after doing the UKCAT), potentially not Birmingham? (but i think you would be okay- check their offer calculator online). Probably everywhere else is okay IF you get high scores on your UKCAT/BMAT. Theyre the main things tbh. Don't waste any more UKCAT mocks without doing prep first- you're going to want as much practice as you can get when it comes to preparing.
    What schools do you think I've got a high chance at getting an interview from?

ReputationRep:
    get a higher ukcat and you can get in to most places that require ukcat. avoid cardiff and Edinburgh and oxford etc. as they want a higher number of GSCE a*s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryPotter11)
    I'm an international student

For my IGCSEs I got
    7A*s (Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, French, Maths, ICT, Physics)
    2Bs (English Language, English Literature)

I'm currently doing AS Level in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. I will be continuing all 4 subjects for A levels. My aim is 4As this year and A*A*AA next year.

I did a mock UKCAT without any practice or studying and got 2560.

I've gotten 8.5 in ILETS
    Probably a few places tbh. Your UKCAT needs to be higher, everything else is great. UKCAT/BMAT cutoffs tend to be very high for internationals since they're under quota

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverGrowUp.)
    get a higher ukcat and you can get in to most places that require ukcat. avoid cardiff and Edinburgh and oxford etc. as they want a higher number of GSCE a*s
    Edinburgh would be fine. I think they expect the typical applicant to have 6-8A*, so I don't think it's a huge detriment to the OP to apply there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Edinburgh would be fine. I think they expect the typical applicant to have 6-8A*, so I don't think it's a huge detriment to the OP to apply there
    according to them their the top one third of applicants have between 8*and 11 A*. Being an international student, I'd aim to be in the top third as their competition is even greater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverGrowUp.)
    according to them their the top one third of applicants have between 8*and 11 A*. Being an international student, I'd aim to be in the top third as their competition is even greater.
    Fair enough, momentarily forgot he was international

ReputationRep:
    This isn't America, we don't shoot up schools...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryPotter11)
    What schools do you think I've got a high chance at getting an interview from?
    Most places really, depends on your entrance test scores:

If you get a high UKCAT (as high above 700 as possible)

Barts (you'll have an even higher chance because of your four a levels)
    Birmingham (but beware they are known to be quite GCSE heavy)
    Cardiff (most applicants have 7/8 A* GCSEs though)
    Dundee
    Exeter
    Glasgow
    King's (also has a reputation of being quite GCSE heavy, but a high UKCAT would probably make up for the Bs)
    Newcastle (they score based only on the UKCAT)
    Nottingham (they score your top 8 GCSEs only)
    St Andrews

If you get a high BMAT (minimum 5s)

Imperial (they don't even look at GCSEs)
    Cambridge potentially, but you would want a very high BMAT to have a comfortable chance. Also need very high AS UMS scores).
    UCL

If you get a low UKCAT

Bristol
    St Georges
    Liverpool
    Sheffield
    You can probably still apply to the other ones, but be strategic about it, depending on what your score actually is.

Would probably avoid Oxford, Edinburgh, and Queens Belfast as they are quite GCSE heavy (especially Edinburgh where a lot of people applying have perfect academics and there's no interview to differentiate between them and others). By the way I've just told you what I found out when I was deciding where to apply and what teachers etc told me so if its wrong....sorry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.