Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TC with a medical degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    I switched over, this is the best advice you can get.

Make sure you are aware of the huge financial investment necessary. The necessary courses aren't cheap.
    Also, do you mind if I ask what your story is? How did you go through the process, what firm did you end up with, etc?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hihg)
    J-SP is far more experienced than I in this, and can probably give you a more accurate answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    J-SP is far more experienced than I in this, and can probably give you a more accurate answer
    I don’t know anything about you 🤔
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I don’t know anything about you 🤔
    Mea culpa, a hastily typed reply which didn't edit on beta.

Tried to edit to: could help you on the more general and important points for you, as my route was particularly complex and involved far too much luck!

Have changed for clarity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Mea culpa, a hastily typed reply which didn't edit on beta.

Tried to edit to: could help you on the more general and important points for you, as my route was particularly complex and involved far too much luck!

Have changed for clarity
    The short answer is you apply like everyone else. There is no difference to the process, application and recruitment processes vary from firm to firm.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    A casual glance at that poster's history reveals 1 TC offer relatively recently (and still undertaking GDL/LPC) from a regional firm up north with a funny name.

To be honest, this kind of switch is not common. I haven't seen anyone with a medical degree in city law firms. Not suggesting there is discrimination against the degree, but I am suggesting most people in that position who do consider the pros and cons of a legal career decide that the cons outweigh the pros, and are put off by the idea.

It sounds like you're disillusioned with the NHS and are looking for exit options. That's understandable. The idea you can make significant changes as a city lawyer is hilarious. Commercial decisions are made by clients. Especially when you're junior, you'll lack any sort of independence - you'll be at a partner's (and client's) beck and call throughout private practice. Attrition is very high - 70-80% of the original trainee cohorts have left private practice by 5-6 PQE. You need to get off this forum and speak to partners/associates at some of these firms. If you have, I don't believe you. The first thing I would tell anyone is that we don't do God's work, we're trying to make rich clients a little bit richer, and much of what we do is extremely tedious paper shuffling and basic project management which you can find in many other jobs. I have also worked until 10-11pm every night for the last 3 weeks straight, I get it...you're hard as nails, everyone knows the hours are bad so you may be undeterred...but most sensible people realise it isn't doable long term.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.