Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I have to choose my GCSE options soon and I need some advice on what to do. I want to be an engineer or work in STEM (I’m not sure what type yet, but NOT aerospace). I’m taking the core subjects and triple science and I get 3 other options after that. I would like to go to a good university too and I don’t know if I should do Spanish, computer science and resistant materials OR Spanish, computer science and geography. (The thing I am concerned about is the amount of coursework with computer science and resistant materials.) Please give some suggestions and tell me about past experience with these gcse’s if you can.
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I was once in your situation 2+ years back

Want to work in STEM/Engineering, just like you, and I'll give you the lowdown, I even did the same subjects as you almost, language, computing/compsci, and geog.

I did Geography, French and Computing, and am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry for A Levels.

Resistant Materials/DT gives you absolutely no advantage, sure, do it at GCSE if you genuinely enjoy the subject, but under no means does it give you any sort of feasible advantage in the end for STEM/Engineering, most, if not all unis care more about how you are with your maths and your sciences. That being said, there are still some advantages to go from doing the subject, however it is by no means an actual requirement or advantage for engineering, so choose based on what you enjoy, seeing as the subjects you're gonna be wanting to pick for A Level to do engineering are likely going to be subjects you have to do already (maths etc).

Computing/CompSci had a notorious reputation in my time, by my time I mean, in 2017, when I sat GCSEs :rofl:

From what I've heard, I'm pretty sure the programming coursework for CS had been scrapped this year? That is because of it being badly taught and structured, allowing everyone and their mothers to cheat, so correct me if I'm wrong, but your cohort's CS tuition will be almost entirely theory based, and grade dictated entirely by exam performance, in contrast, when I did it Coursework counted 60% of your overall grade. Sure you will still get programming experience but unlike the previous cohorts, it won't actually be of any meaningfulness, in the context of final grades, UMS, etc.

Besides the coursework debacle, I genuinely enjoyed my GCSE Computing/CS, and found it a remarkably useful facet of learning that made me have better appreciation around the industry, as well as tech in general.

My past experience for French (It was the same exam board as Spanish so was pretty much entirely the same tasks etc, so from a language point of view), and Geography:

French/Spanish/Insert Language here: Initially difficult, but manageable in the end. I got an A in GCSE French, but this may be outdated since what could be said as roughly 40-50% of our overall grade was dictated by coursework, by speaking, and writing assessments. In general, from what I assume, your cohort again, will be determined entirely based on exam performance alone for languages, so the best way to revise really was just practice practice practice, it may come across as slightly dull, depending on who you're asking as most of it is just grammar drill, again my own opinion, but if you have an appreciation of the language and culture, you will potentially enjoy and be good at it.

Geography: Easy, fun, enjoyable: I'd say second to Maths/Sciences/ in fun factor, was Geography, you learn about current day events, the course is highly varied, and relishing, you learn most things from physical land formations to population, tourism, even dipping into economical topics, it also really develops your critical thinking also, and is probably comparatively easier to History, and much more relaxed as a lesson.

If you have any other questions, shoot!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I was once in your situation 2+ years back

Want to work in STEM/Engineering, just like you, and I'll give you the lowdown, I even did the same subjects as you almost, language, computing/compsci, and geog.

I did Geography, French and Computing, and am currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry for A Levels.

Resistant Materials/DT gives you absolutely no advantage, sure, do it at GCSE if you genuinely enjoy the subject, but under no means does it give you any sort of feasible advantage in the end for STEM/Engineering, most, if not all unis care more about how you are with your maths and your sciences. That being said, there are still some advantages to go from doing the subject, however it is by no means an actual requirement or advantage for engineering, so choose based on what you enjoy, seeing as the subjects you're gonna be wanting to pick for A Level to do engineering are likely going to be subjects you have to do already (maths etc).

Computing/CompSci had a notorious reputation in my time, by my time I mean, in 2017, when I sat GCSEs :rofl:

From what I've heard, I'm pretty sure the programming coursework for CS had been scrapped this year? That is because of it being badly taught and structured, allowing everyone and their mothers to cheat, so correct me if I'm wrong, but your cohort's CS tuition will be almost entirely theory based, and grade dictated entirely by exam performance, in contrast, when I did it Coursework counted 60% of your overall grade. Sure you will still get programming experience but unlike the previous cohorts, it won't actually be of any meaningfulness, in the context of final grades, UMS, etc.

Besides the coursework debacle, I genuinely enjoyed my GCSE Computing/CS, and found it a remarkably useful facet of learning that made me have better appreciation around the industry, as well as tech in general.

My past experience for French (It was the same exam board as Spanish so was pretty much entirely the same tasks etc, so from a language point of view), and Geography:

French/Spanish/Insert Language here: Initially difficult, but manageable in the end. I got an A in GCSE French, but this may be outdated since what could be said as roughly 40-50% of our overall grade was dictated by coursework, by speaking, and writing assessments. In general, from what I assume, your cohort again, will be determined entirely based on exam performance alone for languages, so the best way to revise really was just practice practice practice, it may come across as slightly dull, depending on who you're asking as most of it is just grammar drill, again my own opinion, but if you have an appreciation of the language and culture, you will potentially enjoy and be good at it.

Geography: Easy, fun, enjoyable: I'd say second to Maths/Sciences/ in fun factor, was Geography, you learn about current day events, the course is highly varied, and relishing, you learn most things from physical land formations to population, tourism, even dipping into economical topics, it also really develops your critical thinking also, and is probably comparatively easier to History, and much more relaxed as a lesson.

If you have any other questions, shoot!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.