Why so many people in Uk have a degree?

Watch this thread
WiSi
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys.
My question is, why so many people in the Uk have a degree?
Almost 49% of the population, while in Italy, where I live, just 18%.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Because Tony Blair.

The real question should be 'how many graduates does the country need?'
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Over-promotion of academia and university being the be all and end all. Along with poor advertising of other routes of education and job routes such as apprenticeships, which has resulted in a perception of anything but a degree being a failure or less than.
jdddd
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SophieSmall)
Over-promotion of academia and university being the be all and end all. Along with poor advertising of other routes of education and job routes such as apprenticeships, which has resulted in a perception of anything but a degree being a failure or less than.
You can tell which people are affected by this, just by the course they study haha
AuroraNyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WiSi)
Hi guys.
È previsto per noi. E il governo metti molta enfasi all'universita circa dieci anni fa.

(To comply to TSR rules, translation: It's expected of us. And the government put a lot of emphasis on it about 10 years ago.)
WiSi
Rep:
(Original post by CastCuraga)
È previsto per noi. E il governo metti molta enfasi all'universita circa dieci anni fa.

(To comply to TSR rules, translation: It's expected of us. And the government put a lot of emphasis on it about 10 years ago.)
Why did you translated this?
Anyway it's good to know the government want instructed people.
jordon1703
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What a comment, took the words out of my mouth. I'd be interested to know whether you plan on going/go/went to university. My bet is that you aren't/don't/don't?
MKaur18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WiSi)
Hi guys.
Funding is given to students in the UK. Plus, most jobs in the UK need a degree, and some people do a degree because they enjoy a subject. The job market began undergoing reconstruction around the turn of the century. The Great Recession in 2008 accelerated the process. While, jobs now need a degree to be fair in order to be trained.. While, some people have a joy just to learn.

Compared to Italy, it's a growing country.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Trade and apprenticeship routes are looked down on and not promoted. They're also routinely abused, see Subways "sandwich artist" apprenticeship.
RogerOxon
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Agreed, although many 'degrees' aren't that academic. Universities have seen that they can call just about anything a degree, and charge the full level of fees. There are plenty of people wanting to experience student life without having achieved much academically.
SophieSmall
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jordon1703)
What a comment, took the words out of my mouth. I'd be interested to know whether you plan on going/go/went to university. My bet is that you aren't/don't/don't?
Lol, your bet is wrong. I’m currently studying at masters level
jordon1703
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Lol, your bet is wrong. I’m currently studying at masters level
I'm surprised!
SophieSmall
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jordon1703)
I'm surprised!
I hate it to be honest, only reason I’m still at uni is i didn’t manage to get a job after finishing my undergrad and thought it was better than doing nothing.
AuroraNyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WiSi)
Why did you translated this?
Anyway it's good to know the government want instructed people.
I wasn't sure if it'd be easier for you if I spoke Italian, haha.
It's good, but it means there are too many graduates and not enough jobs, too...
WiSi
Rep:
(Original post by CastCuraga)
I wasn't sure if it'd be easier for you if I spoke Italian, haha.
It's good, but it means there are too many graduates and not enough jobs, too...
It's also what the Italian government told us, to many degree, and we have only 18% of the population with a degree, consider that in this, there are also people that do not work, because they are old.
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WiSi)
Hi guys.
Maybe you should consider why it is so low in Italy.
WiSi
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
Maybe you should consider why it is so low in Italy.
I know why, but I think that this interest no one here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (28)
25.69%
As I expected (37)
33.94%
Harder (37)
33.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.42%

Watched Threads