Turn on thread page Beta

Why so many people in Uk have a degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.
    My question is, why so many people in the Uk have a degree?
    Almost 49% of the population, while in Italy, where I live, just 18%.

ReputationRep:
    Because Tony Blair.

The real question should be 'how many graduates does the country need?'

ReputationRep:
    Over-promotion of academia and university being the be all and end all. Along with poor advertising of other routes of education and job routes such as apprenticeships, which has resulted in a perception of anything but a degree being a failure or less than.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Over-promotion of academia and university being the be all and end all. Along with poor advertising of other routes of education and job routes such as apprenticeships, which has resulted in a perception of anything but a degree being a failure or less than.
    You can tell which people are affected by this, just by the course they study haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Hi guys.
    È previsto per noi. E il governo metti molta enfasi all'universita circa dieci anni fa.

(To comply to TSR rules, translation: It's expected of us. And the government put a lot of emphasis on it about 10 years ago.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    È previsto per noi. E il governo metti molta enfasi all'universita circa dieci anni fa.

(To comply to TSR rules, translation: It's expected of us. And the government put a lot of emphasis on it about 10 years ago.)
    Why did you translated this?
    Anyway it's good to know the government want instructed people.

ReputationRep:
    What a comment, took the words out of my mouth. I'd be interested to know whether you plan on going/go/went to university. My bet is that you aren't/don't/don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Hi guys.
    Funding is given to students in the UK. Plus, most jobs in the UK need a degree, and some people do a degree because they enjoy a subject. The job market began undergoing reconstruction around the turn of the century. The Great Recession in 2008 accelerated the process. While, jobs now need a degree to be fair in order to be trained.. While, some people have a joy just to learn.

Compared to Italy, it's a growing country.

ReputationRep:
    Trade and apprenticeship routes are looked down on and not promoted. They're also routinely abused, see Subways "sandwich artist" apprenticeship.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, although many 'degrees' aren't that academic. Universities have seen that they can call just about anything a degree, and charge the full level of fees. There are plenty of people wanting to experience student life without having achieved much academically.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordon1703)
    What a comment, took the words out of my mouth. I'd be interested to know whether you plan on going/go/went to university. My bet is that you aren't/don't/don't?
    Lol, your bet is wrong. I’m currently studying at masters level

ReputationRep:
    Lol, your bet is wrong. I’m currently studying at masters level
    I'm surprised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordon1703)
    I'm surprised!
    I hate it to be honest, only reason I’m still at uni is i didn’t manage to get a job after finishing my undergrad and thought it was better than doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Why did you translated this?
    Anyway it's good to know the government want instructed people.
    I wasn't sure if it'd be easier for you if I spoke Italian, haha.
    It's good, but it means there are too many graduates and not enough jobs, too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    I wasn't sure if it'd be easier for you if I spoke Italian, haha.
    It's good, but it means there are too many graduates and not enough jobs, too...
    It's also what the Italian government told us, to many degree, and we have only 18% of the population with a degree, consider that in this, there are also people that do not work, because they are old.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Hi guys.
    Maybe you should consider why it is so low in Italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Maybe you should consider why it is so low in Italy.
    I know why, but I think that this interest no one here.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.