Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, after perusing the somewhat limited information on the accommodation at Surrey, I couldn't find any pictures of Halls where it didn't have cream/brown/wooden furnishings all over the place. A friend of mine is going to Bournemouth University, and is staying in Dorchester House, which has a very modern and clean aesthetic (and is notable cheaper). So, put simply, which campus has been renovated/built most recently, and does it look like a*se?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by IsThisAUsername?)
    So, after perperusing the somewhat limited information on the accommodation at Surrey, I couldn't find any pictures of Halls where it didn't have cream/brown/wooden furnishings all over the place. A friend of mine is going to Bournemouth University, and is staying in Dorchester House, which has a very modern and clean aesthetic (and is notable cheaper). So, put simply, which campus has been renovated/built most recently, and does it look like a*se?
    Hi @IsThisAUsername?,

Our Manor Park campus (which is mainly Band D rooms) is the most recently built, with another 1000 or so rooms currently under construction. Its interior is more modern than the halls on the Stag Hill campus, but unfortunately you cannot request to be allocated to a specific court of residence.

I will say that although the décor in the Stag Hill rooms isn't as modern, you do have everything you need and can make the room your own with pictures, fairy lights, plants etc. I stayed in Twyford Court on the Stag Hill campus during my first year of uni and to be completely honest, you don't really pay much attention to the room's design - you'll likely be too busy going to lectures, taking part in clubs/societies, studying at the library or going on nights out, so a lot of people don't actually end up spending that much time in their room! Even if you do get allocated a room on Stag Hill campus, there are definite pros - like being a 5 minute walk away from lectures and the library, and not having to do the 20 minute walk to Manor Park from Rubix (or 30-40 minute walk from town!) after a night out

If you are desperate to get a room in Manor Park, there is a room swap scheme that opens at the end of October, and loads of people normally want to switch from Manor Park to campus, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a room in Manor Park that way if you choose to

All the best,
    Ashley

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Ashley. Just out of curiosity, when was Manor Park built?

Thanks again for the quick response!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you Ashley. Just out of curiosity, when was Manor Park built?

Thanks again for the quick response!
    Hey IsThisAUsername?,

No problem at all!

Manor Park was built in stages. I'm not sure of the exact year, but I think it was the late 00's as it was only recently constructed when I started in 2012

Some of my friends lived in Manor Park and their rooms were a bit more spacious and had more modern décor than my room in Twyford Court.

-Ash
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    So, after perusing the somewhat limited information on the accommodation at Surrey, I couldn't find any pictures of Halls where it didn't have cream/brown/wooden furnishings all over the place. A friend of mine is going to Bournemouth University, and is staying in Dorchester House, which has a very modern and clean aesthetic (and is notable cheaper). So, put simply, which campus has been renovated/built most recently, and does it look like a*se?
    Hi there!
    My name is Alice and I am a student ambassador at BU. If you or your friend has any questions about BU or the area, please feel free to ask!
    Thanks,
    Alice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2018

University open days

1. University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Surrey
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.