Turn on thread page Beta

How can I move on from a crush? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am very shy and had a crush on a girl I was too shy to speak to. When I eventually managed to gain the courage to ask her out she said yes but later said she wasn't going to turn up.

How can I move on from her?

I was wondering if anyone could offer any thing I can try to help me get over her.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it seems impossible at the time
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Yes. People come and go and there are plenty of fish in the sea. Fact of life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ada_786)
    Yes but it seems impossible at the time
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes. People come and go and there are plenty of fish in the sea. Fact of life
    Thank You. I was wondering if anyone could offer any thing I can try to help me get over her.

ReputationRep:
    I am going through a similar situation right now and there is nothing you can really do about the feelings. I've been through the same situation before. It just heals and goes away with time, as you move on with your life and meet new girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RetroBeatles1970)
    Thank You. I was wondering if anyone could offer any thing I can try to help me get over her.
    Put it like this, don’t give a crap about her because remember your in a forced environment I.e same girls everyday, however what we don’t realise is that there are many girls up there

ReputationRep:
    Out there*

ReputationRep:
    Put it like this, don’t give a crap about her because remember your in a forced environment I.e same girls everyday, however what we don’t realise is that there are many girls up there
    Little bit of a repcon on this, do care about her, but try to distance yourself from her. Not completely, don't ignore her, just don't go out of your way to talk to her. She should understand, if she doesn't. Tell her "hey, I'm trying to get rid of the feelings gal so if we could talk less that'd be fab ty".

That's how I did it, took a while, it hurts, but yeah. You got this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grav3)
    I am going through a similar situation right now and there is nothing you can really do about the feelings. I've been through the same situation before. It just heals and goes away with time, as you move on with your life and meet new girls.
    Thanks, the only thing is that I already lack confidence and having this happen hasn’t done me much good in terms of self esteem...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spuddylicious)
    Little bit of a repcon on this, do care about her, but try to distance yourself from her. Not completely, don't ignore her, just don't go out of your way to talk to her. She should understand, if she doesn't. Tell her "hey, I'm trying to get rid of the feelings gal so if we could talk less that'd be fab ty".

That's how I did it, took a while, it hurts, but yeah. You got this.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, the only thing is that I already lack confidence and having this happen hasn’t done me much good in terms of self esteem...
    It would be stupid to let this knock your confidence, though. At-least you made an attempted outreach to the girl you like and that should boost your confidence, if anything. I did allot of cool things with this girl but it turns out, she didn't like me back in the romantic sense. You can at-least be happy with the brave attempt you made and just continue to look elsewhere, for a relationship.

The only other option here is self-defeating, in-which you become the victim over this incident and that just promotes a vicious cycle, which will only end in misery. The unfortunate reality is, that the girl in the class that a guy likes often doesn't end up liking them back. That happens the *majority* of the time and as you have found out, you are not an exception to this rule.

ReputationRep:
    It happened to me once but my friends just told me to leave it behind and move on and now i dont even remember her cuz i had to change countries

ReputationRep:
    Moving on seems completely impossible to start with. You cannot imagine not having any feelings towards them or being able to move past this crush. During the majority of 2017, I obtained and remained with a crush on one of the rugby players at my school, with my feelings towards him being so very strong. I became besotted by him, which made it extremely difficult to move on. But my moment of bliss was short lived, and soon came to an end and I was thrown back to reality when he got a girlfriend. I knew that this was the time to move on, but the thought of doing so made me sad. I wondered to myself that if I just hung onto my intense feelings, one day he would like me back. I felt the pressure to move on, as I wanted to get out of it as quickly as I could, so I could stop feeling hurt. But then I stopped and realised something- moving on takes time, so I stopped forcing myself to get over him and just got on with my everyday life. Everybody moves on at different rates and it’s very important to remember that. As weeks and months went by, my feelings began to decrease for him. 6 months later at this present moment, he is single again, yet I no longer have any form of a crush on him, nor would I ever date him. But there is one thing that I have realised... I will always have feelings for him and that is perfectly acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grav3)
    It would be stupid to let this knock your confidence, though. At-least you made an attempted outreach to the girl you like and that should boost your confidence, if anything. I did allot of cool things with this girl but it turns out, she didn't like me back in the romantic sense. You can at-least be happy with the brave attempt you made and just continue to look elsewhere, for a relationship.

The only other option here is self-defeating, in-which you become the victim over this incident and that just promotes a vicious cycle, which will only end in misery. The unfortunate reality is, that the girl in the class that a guy likes often doesn't end up liking them back. That happens the *majority* of the time and as you have found out, you are not an exception to this rule.
    Yes I suppose.. There is one thing bothering me and that is I really worry/care about her in a sense since she's started hanging around with this girl who's a bit dodgy and I've seen the girl I used to like has started smoking. I know this sounds really cliche and maybe even creepy but I'm genuinely concerned for her. I've spoken to somebody else about the way I have been feeling towards her and they have told me that it just means that I am a caring person which made me feel a little better but I still can't move on.

How about stop being a little B I T C H?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebony55)
    Moving on seems completely impossible to start with. You cannot imagine not having any feelings towards them or being able to move past this crush. During the majority of 2017, I obtained and remained with a crush on one of the rugby players at my school, with my feelings towards him being so very strong. I became besotted by him, which made it extremely difficult to move on. But my moment of bliss was short lived, and soon came to an end and I was thrown back to reality when he got a girlfriend. I knew that this was the time to move on, but the thought of doing so made me sad. I wondered to myself that if I just hung onto my intense feelings, one day he would like me back. I felt the pressure to move on, as I wanted to get out of it as quickly as I could, so I could stop feeling hurt. But then I stopped and realised something- moving on takes time, so I stopped forcing myself to get over him and just got on with my everyday life. Everybody moves on at different rates and it’s very important to remember that. As weeks and months went by, my feelings began to decrease for him. 6 months later at this present moment, he is single again, yet I no longer have any form of a crush on him, nor would I ever date him. But there is one thing that I have realised... I will always have feelings for him and that is perfectly acceptable.
    Thanks, I'll give it time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.