The Student Room Group

Snooker cue

So i have this question where i'm given a snooker cue of uniform density taking the form of a rod with decreasing diameter towards the end and am asked to mark the position of the centre of gravity-- but i don't know how to draw it :/. I know that the centre of mass would be toward the thicker side of the snooker cue but how do i draw and mark this?
Reply 1
Sorry we all seem to be ignoring this, I think maybe noone's exactly sure what you mean.

I can picture the cue, do you just have to estimate and mark it or do you have to calculate how far along it would be?

If it's just marking it, all I would do is place a dot just where you say and label it as centre of gravity. Sometimes you have to show the forces acting, in which case I'd also draw the W=mg arrow vertically down from that point.

Does that help?
Sorry, I'm guessing a bit about what you've actually been asked to do here.
Reply 2
Well that’s what I’m confused about as well... here’s the question: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Physics/A-level/Topic-Qs/Edexcel/02-Mechanics/Set-M/Moments%20QP.pdf
it’s question 1 b
Reply 3
The mark scheme gives a small range where the centre of gravity may lie so you may be right in just marking it where the centre of gravity would most likely be... but no free body force diagram or arrows indicating forces acting on the cue
Reply 4
Yes, it's only one mark, you only have to mark an approx position.
Reply 5
Thanks so much :smile: can’t believe that one mark question gave me such a headache

Quick Reply

Latest