Turn on thread page Beta

Should my mum pay for train tickets? watch

(Original post by uberteknik)
    Sounds very much like the OP is crap at both financial management as well as poor planning and is behaving with petulance.

Maintenance grants can be supplemented with part time and holiday work. Low income family maintenance loans exceed £11,000 for London and £8300 outside.

A return train ticket London to Edinburgh can be had for £45 booked in advance with a railcard.

It's not meant to be punitive, neither is it meant to be a free lunch.

We do not know the full circumstances, but it does appear that leaving £250 to last until April including rent, is not living a hard student life.
    My maintenance loan is £8300 and my accommodation £8000 (not out of choice); I'm struggling to get a job at the moment as I'm suffering from anxiety, depression and PTSD after my father died and my mother had told me she would be contributing far more while I worked through therapy etc to be able to get a job.

But of course, since someone struggles financially they must be a brat with poor organisation and not someone going through a **** time with a family that delivered false promises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My maintenance loan is £8300 and my accommodation £8000 (not out of choice); I'm struggling to get a job at the moment as I'm suffering from anxiety, depression and PTSD after my father died and my mother had told me she would be contributing far more while I worked through therapy etc to be able to get a job.

But of course, since someone struggles financially they must be a brat with poor organisation and not someone going through a **** time with a family that delivered false promises.
    These do seem extenuating circumstances and I’m sorry to hear about your current predicament.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

You won't just be getting £8300 though. You'd be getting a bursary on top. Knowing that you'd struggle to afford your accommodation and live, you really should have found somewhere cheaper.

A room in a student house would have been cheaper.

It's quite difficult to have sympathy when you've got expensive accommodation.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Have you applied for hardship funds?

There’s other ways to earn money than having a job. Find a market for your skills (or just your time) online, cook for your flatmates/do their washing up/laundry for a reasonable price.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try a megabus if there is one going to where you are. They're ridiculously cheap at times. Might not be the most reliable transport but desperate times call for desperate measures.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I'm an 18 year old uni student from a low income single parent household receiving no financial aid from home - I can't even afford my rent and come next week will have missed the past 2 months of payment.

I have to spend £100+ on tickets to get to a family wedding which I have no choice but to go to but my mum isn't helping me finance this - am I being unreasonable to think she should at least split the cost with me? She never comes to visit me but always asks me to visit her so I have already spent so much money on going home without her financial aid and I won't even be able to afford food if I buy these tickets myself
    no

ReputationRep:

It's a shame you're having a hard time and can't work. But it's an important ,money lesson to learn you don't have money until you have it. You can't rely on loans, promises or anything else. If the money isn't in your account you shouldn't spend it. Sounds like your mum didn't make 'false promises' but just doesn't have the money.

You did choose an 8000 a year accommodation. I was offered uni halls I couldn't afford and I turned them down and lived somewhere cheaper. TBH you could probably find soemthing cheaper even in London.

You're 18. Grow up and sort out your own finances. If you're a student from a low income household surely you have enough money from your maintenance loan to pay for your accommodation? Your mother does not control your life- if you choose to pay to visit her then your financial problems are your own fault. Don't go to the wedding if you can't afford it- you have to prioritise your cash. I find it helpful to write down how much I am allowed to spend a month taking into account things I have to pay for e.g. food. You can get all your food for a week with £10 if you're really careful with money and know where to look.
    Actually some people's loans don't cover accommodation and food. Remember that student finance only pays you in installments too. Don't be so ignorant of personal situations.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Multifaceted)
    Actually some people's loans don't cover accommodation and food. Remember that student finance only pays you in installments too. Don't be so ignorant of personal situations.
    It would be far more understandable if the OP was on the minimum amount of loan; but they're on the full amount of loan.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It would be far more understandable if the OP was on the minimum amount of loan; but they're on the full amount of loan.
    Regardless, what is the point of judging the situation now that they can't change their spending habits to correct for their current worry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multifaceted)
    Regardless, what is the point of judging the situation now that they can't change their spending habits to correct for their current worry?
    The point as I see it is that they got into this financial situation so shouldn't expect to be bailed out when they really cannot afford to go, nor can their mother afford to help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.