Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I will probably get 3 5s or 6s will that stop me getting into medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Due to a poorly organised PE course and being naturally bad in both English Language and Literature, however, the rest of the subjects I'm estimated grades in 7s 8s and 9s. Will this stop me getting into medicine?

ReputationRep:
    you need to make sure ou meet the minimum requirements for GCSEs, which you can check on each universities website. English language is the most important one which you should aim for a 7 in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yipyipee)
    you need to make sure ou meet the minimum requirements for GCSEs, which you can check on each universities website. English language is the most important one which you should aim for a 7 in

So I should focus a lot of my time and energy on english language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afit247)
    So I should focus a lot of my time and energy on english language?
    English language is very important, but remember to get good grades in all your other subjects as well, particularly the sciences and maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yipyipee)
    English language is very important, but remember to get good grades in all your other subjects as well, particularly the sciences and maths.
    Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    its cool (Just remember to try your hardest and to not give up, applying for medicine is hard but its all worth it in the end)

ReputationRep:
    How many subjects do you do ? If unis score GCSEs, they usually score the top 9. However, this must include maths, sciences and English language. So you’re fine for most places if you get a couple of 5/6s if you have 9 7/8/9s.

However, even if you don’t apply to places which score GCSEs, you need to be getting English language past a 5. Most places require a B, which is equivalent to a 6, at least. Try and get it to a 7. Remember that being a doctor requires good communication skills, so English language should be something you’re really trying to work on if you aren’t already. Get the idea that you’re ‘naturally bad’ at it out of your head- you’re clearly a smart person if you’re doing well in other subjects, so I’m sure that you can get a 7 with enough work.

If you don’t do so well, there are unis which look more/only at your ukcat score. But why limit your options ? Work hard and you will do well !

Good luck ! :-)

ReputationRep:
    To be honest the answer is no, but you need to think that you’ll be up against people who have all 7’s 8’s and 9’s. Obviously getting into medicine isn’t all about the grades, you need specific individual attributes so if you have these then that is more important than dropping under a 7 in one maybe two subjects.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.