Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

Section Leader
    Doctors can stop providing life support to toddler Alfie Evans who has a mystery illness against his parents' wishes, the High Court has ruled.

Alder Hey Children's Hospital argued that continuing to treat the 21-month-old from Bootle, Merseyside was "unkind, unfair and inhumane".

His parents Tom Evans and Kate James had hoped to prolong Alfie's life with treatment at a hospital in Rome.

Mr Justice Hayden said Alfie requires "peace, quiet and privacy".

The hospital is set to withdraw ventilation on Friday.

His mother left the court hearing before the ruling while his father broke down as the decision was announced.

About 30 supporters of the family's campaign had gathered outside Alder Hey as the decision about his treatment was delivered.

The conclusion was made after a hearing at Liverpool Civil and Family Court earlier this month was told Alfie was in a "semi-vegetative state".

He has a degenerative neurological condition doctors had not definitively diagnosed, the court heard.

What do people think about this? Personally I think it's the right thing to do, particularly when such a view is being given by those who have dedicated their lives to becoming experts in this field. I can understand of course why the parents wish to keep on fighting, but I can't help but side with the doctors on this one.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    This is sounding like another Charlie Gard case.

Very sad. Like you, I do understand the parents wanting to fight for their son and I'm sure Alder Hey are doing everything they can to help Alfie. But keeping him alive sometimes may not be fair on him.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Terrible situation for all involved be it the parents, the child or indeed the Doctors.

Obviously the largest tragedy here is the case of a little by severely ill. Secondary to that is the huge distrust or views of ‘corruption’ of the medical team by the general public, the parents, and the press covering it. Makes me all the more upset to see people are entirely convinced the doctors don’t want what is best for little Alfie.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    These decisions are always impossible to make and I'd hate to be the doctor who decides it but ultimately I think it's in the best interest of the parents, the doctors and the child.

It's not fair on anyone to artificially prolong the life of a baby who you know will never get better.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.