The Student Room Group

Is government and politics considered as a traditional subject?

On the websites of Oxford and Cambridge it says they like 'traditional' subjects. I take government and politics but I'm not sure if it's seen as traditional. Any ideas?
(edited 6 years ago)
It's not an 'academic' subject in the way that (say) Maths, English, Biology, History etc. are, but - and I quote directly from an Oxford tutor - "any subject is academic if you study it in depth".

What are you applying for, and what other subjects do you take? As long as you are predicted a As/A*s, and have subjects which are appropriate for the course to which you are applying, it won't hinder you.
Original post by nxvina
On the websites of Oxford and Cambridge it says they like 'traditional' subjects. I take governement and politics but I'm not sure if it's seen as traditional. Any ideas?

No, it's not.

History, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English Literature, MFL are regarded as traditional subjects

These aren't neccessarily the most useful subjects. For example, Economics and Psychology can be more useful than a lot of these depending on what you want to do
Reply 3
Original post by SummerStrawberry
It's not an 'academic' subject in the way that (say) Maths, English, Biology, History etc. are, but - and I quote directly from an Oxford tutor - "any subject is academic if you study it in depth".

What are you applying for, and what other subjects do you take? As long as you are predicted a As/A*s, and have subjects which are appropriate for the course to which you are applying, it won't hinder you.

Thanks, I want to apply for economics/ economics and management. I also take maths, further maths, economics.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nxvina
Thanks, I want to apply for economics/ economics and management. I also take maths, further maths, economics.

I wouldn't worry - Government & Politics will give you something extra to talk about in your personal statement (how do global, national, and even local events influence organisations and the field of economics?).

The Russell Group's list of facilitating subjects is a list of subjects that keep options open - not a list of subjects you must take to be considered seriously by top universities. I fell foul of that when choosing my A-Levels and put more value on that list than I should. What gets you into top universities is having the subjects the course requires, good grades, and a personal statement that shows you're capable of at least some original thought. What gets you into Oxbridge is the same thing alongside an admissions test and an interview where you demonstrate your obsession with the subject you intend to take, and a lot of luck.

Think creatively. Think laterally. Think beyond - and especially between - your syllabuses. Most importantly, think a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending