Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dismissal at work watch

Announcements

Hi,

I work for a large delivery company. I am being accused of two counts of fraudulently claiming overtime, one is serious and the other count is less serious.

1. Less serious, I did some overtime (around 2 hours) but did not get authorisation from my boss but I 100% did what I said I did in the time I claimed and I have witnesses that saw me still at work doing the tasks on the given day. The boss acknowledges that I did do the work that I stated I did.

2. More serious, I went to a training course (a Tuesday), the course finished after my allocated finish time. I booked the overtime on that day. The day after (wedensday) I found out that I wasn't allowed to book overtime for that course. I submitted the overtime docket the following (Monday after) week as requested.

I was brought into a formal meeting a few weeks later. My reasons of I should be paid for the less serious overtime as I actually did it were accepted but I was reminded to seek authorisation. The second case - my reasoning was that I forgot to remove it 4 days after I had written it was running an operational floor with over 100 staff every day and processing the 9 family deaths in 4 months was not accepted.

I fully admitted I put the overtime down and signed for it, but it was a genuine mistake and I have been off with depression for a period before due to the deaths. It has basically cost me my job for 40 minutes of overtime. I understand that I should be punished and have a warning but to be dismissed I think is a little harsh.

Does anyone have any knowledge on what route I could look into.

ReputationRep:
    Look for a new job and follow the rules if you get one.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    So they reminded you to seek authorisation then dismissed you. Why bother reminding you? Bit stupid.

(Original post by Student-95)
    Look for a new job and follow the rules if you get one.
    The rules have never been explained to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The rules have never been explained to me.
    Then ask, don't assume.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Student-95)
    Then ask, don't assume.
    Well I have learnt that the hard way. But it seems a little harsh and wondering if there is anything I can do?

ReputationRep:
    How long did you work there? If it's under 2 years then you can't do anything. Over 2 years you could try for unfair dismissal but TBH would you want the job back? And all the stress of a hearing? And that's if they even think you have a case... you did something serious, regardless of your reasons. Just move on and find a new job.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.