Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are the preparations I should take to for the Inner Temple Scholarship Interview which is due on 3rd March 2018.

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview on 3rd March too. My interview is at 1650hrs so they'll hopefully be too exhausted from interviewing to press me too hard!

I am preparing by researching the types of questions that have been asked previously and writing down my answers.
    I find the hardest questions are the ones like "why do you want to be a barrister", "what qualities do you have that would make you a good barrister" as they are very opened ended. As a very talkative Taff I find it difficult to rein myself in and not waffle too much!

Read the paper, I read Thursday's Law pages in The Times to keep up on current affairs. Research areas of law reform that interest you so you can talk about them. Read up on recent cases. We will not only have to demonstrate our abilities and motivations for a career at the bar but also a genuine interest in the vocation and law as a whole.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    My interview was with Middle rather than Inner, but broadly speaking, the panels are pretty much the same. You can absolutely try to keep abreast of legal developments – especially ones that are being reported in the media – as it couldn't hurt, and you should definitely know what you would say if you were asked the basic questions such as "why the Bar?" and "what practice area?". However, it's very likely that they will ask you things you can't prepare for. I was asked 2-3 questions based on my application form, but they were on really obscure parts that I'd never have predicted and therefore could only give an organic answer. Then I was asked whether I thought court proceedings should be televised, so I just reasoned it out loud.

Based on my experience, and the experience of many of my friends who had similar interviews, the best thing you can do to prepare is look over your application in great detail and just think about every single thing you mentioned and be prepared to talk about it. Why did you do X? What was it about? What did you get out of it? What was the hardest part of it? The panel wants to see what you're like when you're speaking comfortably about a familiar topic, not like a robot or a wooden actor reciting rehearsed lines.

Good luck for your interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    My interview was with Middle rather than Inner, but broadly speaking, the panels are pretty much the same. You can absolutely try to keep abreast of legal developments – especially ones that are being reported in the media – as it couldn't hurt, and you should definitely know what you would say if you were asked the basic questions such as "why the Bar?" and "what practice area?". However, it's very likely that they will ask you things you can't prepare for. I was asked 2-3 questions based on my application form, but they were on really obscure parts that I'd never have predicted and therefore could only give an organic answer. Then I was asked whether I thought court proceedings should be televised, so I just reasoned it out loud.

Based on my experience, and the experience of many of my friends who had similar interviews, the best thing you can do to prepare is look over your application in great detail and just think about every single thing you mentioned and be prepared to talk about it. Why did you do X? What was it about? What did you get out of it? What was the hardest part of it? The panel wants to see what you're like when you're speaking comfortably about a familiar topic, not like a robot or a wooden actor reciting rehearsed lines.

Good luck for your interview!
    Great advice, I am going to dig out my application tonight and start reading it.

Did you ask any questions at the end of your interview? I know it's a good thing to do but I can't think of any questions that wouldn't sound rehearsed and being asked for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gym Bunny)
    Great advice, I am going to dig out my application tonight and start reading it.

Did you ask any questions at the end of your interview? I know it's a good thing to do but I can't think of any questions that wouldn't sound rehearsed and being asked for the sake of it.
    Nope, I don't think I asked any questions. You're absolutely right, there's no point asking something pointless and rehearsed. Inns scholarships interviews are really short and TBH there's nothing to ask, really. It's not like a pupillage interview; you're not going to see these people again.

Other general advice you'll probably get from everyone:
    – Make sure your buttons are all done up, shoes polished and so on
    – Clean fingernails
    – Smile when you go in and say hello/good morning. Not creepily, mind, just brightly
    – Sit still and don't fidget. If you gesticulate wildly by nature and can't trust yourself, sit on your hands
    – Make sure you make good eye contact. Go with what's natural. I tended to start off addressing my answers to the person who'd asked the question, but engaging all the other panel members at other points, too. Makes it easier to break off prolonged eye contact with one person, which can be awkward.

I should say, I was awarded The Queen Mother's Scholarship from Middle Temple, so while nothing in life is guaranteed, my advice can't be that bad!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck - I ****ed mine up on Saturday. So annoyed with myself, I know I can do far better than yesterday's performance.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine at 16:10 on Saturday! Initially thought it went well, then played it back in my mind and imagined how much better my answers could have been. The panel know it's hard to condense who you are as a person and an advocate into 15/20 minutes, so don't worry. Did anything go really wrong or do you just know you could've done better? There's always room for improvement but being overly self-critical isn't good. They mentioned my C in A level Physics and I wanted to melt into the floor! When do we find out?

ReputationRep:
    I was taken to the library at 1610hrs, which case did you take?
    My interview was at 1650hrs and I had worked myself up into a panic by then. I don't feel like I really answered their questions as specifically as they wanted, I came across too forceful and I don't know if one of the panel asked loads of questions on the legal problem because I wasn't giving the right answer or if she was just seeing what I was like under pressure. Then they asked about my daughter and my voice cracked. So all in all, a bit of a disaster.
    But I'm planning on studying the BPTC part time so I can always try again next year, so all is not entirely lost.

Well done on your interview, I hope it proves fruitful for you.
    We should find out in a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    what sort of thing do they ask? thinking about applying when i finish my degree in 2 years but seems a bit intimidating...

ReputationRep:
    I was really happy with mine, best of luck to everyone else. Results out by post at the end of March.

ReputationRep:
    super nervous about my interview! any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I thought my interview went terribly too! Like literally awful. I didn't know you could apply twice if you were a part time student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipupillage)
    I thought my interview went terribly too! Like literally awful. I didn't know you could apply twice if you were a part time student?
    I spoke to Georgina about it. If you don't get a scholarship this year, you can reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to Georgina about it. If you don't get a scholarship this year, you can reapply next year.
    ah this is great news thank you. Good luck with the outcome!

ReputationRep:
    Nervously waiting for the letter to come through letting me know of the outcome. So stressful with it being post and living in a college at Uni so have to check at the porters lodge every evening.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody had a letter yet? Very anxious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelenaSorrows)
    Anybody had a letter yet? Very anxious
    They won't be out any time soon, only been 9 days since last interview, will likely be late March, thats what my panel chair said to me, especially when you consider the snow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rump0le)
    They won't be out any time soon, only been 9 days since last interview, will likely be late March, thats what my panel chair said to me, especially when you consider the snow
    At my interview I was told I would receive a letter within 2 and a half weeks from the date of my interview. My interview was on March 3rd so they said I would find out by this Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelenaSorrows)
    At my interview I was told I would receive a letter within 2 and a half weeks from the date of my interview. My interview was on March 3rd so they said I would find out by this Wednesday.
    Hoping you're right and it's this wednesday. I had my interview on 3rd March too, although managed to royally screw it up so not predicting good news.

ReputationRep:
    Hoping you're right and it's this wednesday. I had my interview on 3rd March too, although managed to royally screw it up so not predicting good news.
    I'm also March 3rd

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2018

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.