The Student Room Group

Is it normal for some people to have ketones in urine?

Im not diabetic (had blood tests for other issues in the past to rule out). Ten yearsago i started feeling shaky after eating but a fasting blood test showed normal results. Yet on the occassions i have tested my urine using dipstick it has still always shown very high for ketones. I remember years ago when I tested it was the same then.

Two years ago i had an episode of visible dark blood in my urine when i had a cold, The nurse confirmed blood and high ketones so she did my blood glucose which was normal then advised me to see my gp about the blood. I saw a urologist who couldnt identify why (kidney ct scan was normal) he said a virus likely affected my kidneys. Ive been checking my urine by dipstick now and again and its been clear of blood and protein but still shows high ketones
Original post by Anonymous
Im not diabetic (had blood tests for other issues in the past to rule out). Ten yearsago i started feeling shaky after eating but a fasting blood test showed normal results. Yet on the occassions i have tested my urine using dipstick it has still always shown very high for ketones. I remember years ago when I tested it was the same then.

Two years ago i had an episode of visible dark blood in my urine when i had a cold, The nurse confirmed blood and high ketones so she did my blood glucose which was normal then advised me to see my gp about the blood. I saw a urologist who couldnt identify why (kidney ct scan was normal) he said a virus likely affected my kidneys. Ive been checking my urine by dipstick now and again and its been clear of blood and protein but still shows high ketones

It could possibly be down to your diet or exercise routine. It's worth taking to your doctor if you're worried about it and to be tested (presumably) more accurately
Reply 2
See a doc and be honest with. Ketones can be in breathe and urine and sign of damage. Key is Diabetes is oil based, excess fried foods. Check out Plant based doctors. Dr McDougall. Dr Neil Barnard. They can kill it off in 30 days. Key is diary, fats and meat. So high in fat/energy, it supplies cells with food to grow and causes massive problems. God bless. JK
Ketones in your urine usually means you’re not eating enough, you’re fasting or it’s taken just before a meal. It’s a normal physiological finding and doesn’t mean you have diabetes.

Quick Reply

Latest