Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should the British taxpayer fund the sexual exploitation of third world children? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What it says on the tin. The Oxfam outrage.

I say, hell no, where's our moral conscience as a country??

We now hear that this sort of abuse if endemic throughout the corrupt and overbloated world of the mega NGO's. Of the multi billion dollar western aid racket.

But it isn't just the (effective) rape of children. Corrupt third world criminals, the politicians of these hellholes are siphoning off much of these billions. Using our money to buy multi million pound bolt holes in Knightsbridge.

So what is to be done? These people need help, we can't just walk on by?

The answer is to give them the money directly. Give them the power and end the neo Colonialism of the Oxfams of this world with their paternalism and prostutution. Revamp the whole Aid racket and cut out the middlemen. Not easy to organise, I grant you, but nothing that is worthwhile is easy.

Whatever you do, don't personally donate to Oxfam of any of these mega agencies. Find another way to help. Let's make the world better, not abuse children with our tax dollars.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not a loaded question at all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Not a loaded question at all :rolleyes:
    Sure it was framed in a provocative manner, (you have to do something to drum up interest for a thread in this moribund website) but it is a serious question.

Are you comfortable with your taxes (you probably don't pay any tax, but imagine you do if that is the case) being used for the purposes of prostituting desperate and hopelessly poor young girls? The weakest of the weak, starving, forced to sell their virginity and then their bodies to ugly middle age aid workers?

Only you can honestly answer that, but personally I am not. I think it is wrong and must be stopped.

ReputationRep:
    No. Simple.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by generallee)
    Sure it was framed in a provocative manner, (you have to do something to drum up interest for a thread in this moribund website) but it is a serious question.

Are you comfortable with your taxes (you probably don't pay any tax, but imagine you do if that is the case) being used for the purposes of prostituting desperate and hopelessly poor young girls? The weakest of the weak, starving, forced to sell their virginity and then their bodies to ugly middle age aid workers?

Only you can honestly answer that, but personally I am not. I think it is wrong and must be stopped.
    Everybody pays tax...
    I take the view, in this scenario, that it is the lesser of two evils the greater one being they get no aid period. It is always nice to try and cling to the moral high ground but, alas, it usually doesnt help any one in any way what so ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Everybody pays tax...
    I take the view, in this scenario, that it is the lesser of two evils the greater one being they get no aid period. It is always nice to try and cling to the moral high ground but, alas, it usually doesnt help any one in any way what so ever.
    Not everyone pays tax in net terms. In fact less than half (46.6%) supports the entire public sector edifice, up to and including third world child prostitutes...

http://www.cps.org.uk/publications/t...and-transfers/

You don't seem to have actually read my original post, because you are positing a false dichotomy. I wasn't arguing that the aid shouldn't be given, but that it should be paid directly in cash.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...o-9760920.html
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not everyone pays tax in net terms. In fact less than half (46.6%) supports the entire public sector edifice, up to and including third world child prostitutes...

http://www.cps.org.uk/publications/t...and-transfers/

You don't seem to have actually read my original post, because you are positing a false dichotomy. I wasn't arguing that the aid shouldn't be given, but that it should be paid directly in cash.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...o-9760920.html
    I was more talking about how everybody pays VAT etc.
    Apologies, i went off on a tangent there.
    In theory it might be better but i imagine in practice such a system would be open to even more abuse and as another poster said it incentives laziness just handing over fistfuls of cash.

ReputationRep:
    What it says on the tin. The Oxfam outrage.

I say, hell no, where's our moral conscience as a country??

We now hear that this sort of abuse if endemic throughout the corrupt and overbloated world of the mega NGO's. Of the multi billion dollar western aid racket.

But it isn't just the (effective) rape of children. Corrupt third world criminals, the politicians of these hellholes are siphoning off much of these billions. Using our money to buy multi million pound bolt holes in Knightsbridge.

So what is to be done? These people need help, we can't just walk on by?

The answer is to give them the money directly. Give them the power and end the neo Colonialism of the Oxfams of this world with their paternalism and prostutution. Revamp the whole Aid racket and cut out the middlemen. Not easy to organise, I grant you, but nothing that is worthwhile is easy.

Whatever you do, don't personally donate to Oxfam of any of these mega agencies. Find another way to help. Let's make the world better, not abuse children with our tax dollars.
    This whole media storm is really rather transparent and your faux outrage does little to convince me otherwise.

Oxfam do really wonderful work in some of the poorest ares of the world, work that government should be doing but aren't. Volunteers and workers who work tirelessly, often for little money.

It's a massive organisation with tens of thousands of people who work and volunteer for it.Often such structures are loose and the idea that Oxfam is responsible for the acts of a few of it's volunteers, whom it has little control over, is laughable.

So what is this case really about?
    Pure and simple, people want to stop spending money on foreign aid. That's all it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeBruyne18)
    This whole media storm is really rather transparent and your faux outrage does little to convince me otherwise.

Oxfam do really wonderful work in some of the poorest ares of the world, work that government should be doing but aren't. Volunteers and workers who work tirelessly, often for little money.

It's a massive organisation with tens of thousands of people who work and volunteer for it.Often such structures are loose and the idea that Oxfam is responsible for the acts of a few of it's volunteers, whom it has little control over, is laughable.

So what is this case really about?
    Pure and simple, people want to stop spending money on foreign aid. That's all it is.
    Someone else who didn't actually read my OP. I am am not arguing that foreign aid should be stopped, but that the current system is broken.

I used to work in the sector myself so I admit the experience makes me disillusioned and cynical. If people who give money to large charities (out of the goodness of their hearts) knew how a lot of the money was actually being spent they would be appalled.

I have even been in meetings with the CEO of Oxfam, Mark Goldring (when he worked for another Charity). He is a really nasty piece of work and I am not in the least surprised he has made such a hash of the PR fallout from this.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.