The Student Room Group

English language creative writing

Hey, so I was wondering if anyone could help me as I'm trying to make sense of the new marking system for creative writing (it makes no
sense!)
Basically, I know they are penalising you if your writing doesn't fit the question well, and for whether or not your story is realistic, but at the
same time wanting you to write as creatively as possible.
Does anyone know how closely you have to follow the prompt (i always go off topic)? and does the marking system mean you can't write
fantasy, or anything that the marker doesn't think would happen in real life- meaning my story would probably end up being boring and
uncreative, which they are apparently penalising you for ?:s-smilie:
Thanks in advance xx:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GemmaR7817
Hey, so I was wondering if anyone could help me as I'm trying to make sense of the new marking system for creative writing (it makes no
sense!)
Basically, I know they are penalising you if your writing doesn't fit the question well, and for whether or not your story is realistic, but at the
Does anyone know how closely you have to follow the prompt (i always go off topic)? and does the marking system mean you can't write
fantasy, or anything that the marker doesn't think would happen in real life- meaning my story would probably end up being boring and

https://youtu.be/iaEJ-HVpl9g Descriptive
https://youtu.be/SfBYZZD_UzU
Narrative
https://youtu.be/oSSJA5ng24c
These videos will help explain what the mark scheme really is, especually the last one.
Original post by GemmaR7817
sense!)

You do need to follow the prompt, but the question will usually give a wide range of options. For example, a description of a bus journey could include seeing something unrelated happening outside.
Don't confuse 'creative' with 'fantasy'. Creative means imaginative and showing skill with language. All of the AQA examples I have seen are written about events that 'could' have happened, but are almost certainly not written from real life experience. Whether they are boring or not is entirely up to you, the writer.
Fantasy writing can work well, and is not excluded by the mark scheme, but it is difficult to do in a limited time. You have to establish the boundaries of your fantasy world as well as tell the story. There are some very good science fiction short stories which could be used as models, but only go down this route if you are confident.
Reply 3
Thankyou so much x The links were especially helpful xx
depends on exam board

Latest

Trending

Trending