The Student Room Group

Please help a confused girl choose her A - levels ?

Hi, I'm just a very stressed girl about to do her GCSEs in a few months and still isn't sure what A - levels to take (a.k.a. life is crazy right now so please help ahh)

I would probably like to do an Economics degree as hopefully a top university like LSE etc.

So I will definitely be taking Economics as an A-level. (also because i find it interesting)

Maths is my strongest subject, i am predicted an 8/9 in my exams (A*) so I will definitely be taking Maths for A-level.

And then I don't know what to do...

Option 1: Take Geography as a third A-level although I find it interesting and fun I am not particularly good at it.
Predicted a 6 (B) for Geography at GCSE so I feel like if I can't even get an A* at GCSE, i won't be able to get an A* or even an A at A-level

Option 2: Take Further Maths as a third A-level, this would probably be the most secure option but from what I have heard and read, Universities don't like the combination of maths, further maths and eco as it is not a wide variety of subject etc.

Option 3: Take Maths, Eco, Geography and Further Maths for A - level.
Pros - Very attractive by universities, full range of subjects, can chose from more different degrees with these options
Cons - Very hard. Although I good at Maths, I fear that taking geo which I am not too confident in as well as further maths which is definitely going to be a challenge will be too much. This could take a toll on all my A - levels.

Option 4: Take 3 A-levels: Maths, Economics and Geography
Pros - Manageable, I can concentrate on the weaker subject (geography), much more likely to get good grades
Cons - Missing out on uni opportunities by not taking Further Maths?

So whats better? Taking 4 A - levels and getting ok grades in all 4? Or taking 3 A - levels but getting better grades in the 3?

If you are currently doing A -level or are in University, any and all advice would be very very appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I will help you but people here don't want that so I wont
Reply 2
I do geography as an A-level and I got a B at GCSE it's a good course but there is alot of writing! I reckon 3 A-levels would be a better choice so you can just focus on those as it is hard work.
Original post by soundgirl
Hi, I'm just a very stressed girl about to do her GCSEs in a few months and still isn't sure what A - levels to take (a.k.a. life is crazy right now so please help ahh)

I would probably like to do an Economics degree as hopefully a top university like LSE etc.

So I will definitely be taking Economics as an A-level. (also because i find it interesting)

Maths is my strongest subject, i am predicted an 8/9 in my exams (A*) so I will definitely be taking Maths for A-level.

Option 1: Take Geography as a third A-level although I find it interesting and fun I am not particularly good at it.
Predicted a 6 (B) for Geography at GCSE so I feel like if I can't even get an A* at GCSE, i won't be able to get an A* or even an A at A-level

Option 2: Take Further Maths as a third A-level, this would probably be the most secure option but from what I have heard and read, Universities don't like the combination of maths, further maths and eco as it is not a wide variety of subject etc.

Pros - Very attractive by universities, full range of subjects, can chose from more different degrees with these options
Cons - Very hard. Although I good at Maths, I fear that taking geo which I am not too confident in as well as further maths which is definitely going to be a challenge will be too much. This could take a toll on all my A - levels.

So whats better? Taking 4 A - levels and getting ok grades in all 4? Or taking 3 A - levels but getting better grades in the 3?

If you are currently doing A -level or are in University, any and all advice would be very very appreciated.

If you like maths, do Physics.

Maths, Eco, Physics, Further Maths.
Reply 4

3 A levels. There's not point doing 4 if you're only going to do ok in them.
A level geography isn't that hard really, especially if you enjoy it. Found it easier than my other subjects but this was years ago so I don't know what it's like now. I also don't think there's much of a problem in doing maths, further maths and economics. I think it's a good combination.
Are there no other subjects you're interested in?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Boyesy
I do geography as an A-level and I got a B at GCSE it's a good course but there is alot of writing! I reckon 3 A-levels would be a better choice so you can just focus on those as it is hard work.

Thanks for the reply, I was actually about to start a new thread on what geography a-level is like anyway but whats your take on it, how are you finding the course.
The writing part is kind of worrying at I am not the best at english
Reply 6
Original post by Fasih123
I will help you but people here don't want that so I wont

Of course I want help, thats why I posted this thread lol, please help if you can
Reply 7
Original post by TheRealAdam1
If you like maths, do Physics.

Maths, Eco, Physics, Further Maths.

Funny thing is, I am actually terrible at Physics, i don't know it just kind of confuses me lol
Reply 8
Geography A-level is good but I suppose it depends on the teacher. I am finding the writing part ok and I only got a 5 in English lang and lit. There are 20 markers but once you understand how to write them it's easy to do. Don't worry!
For an economics degree I heard that further maths is very recommended by the top unis.
Reply 10
Original post by blawan
3 A levels. There's not point doing 4 if you're only going to do ok in them.
A level geography isn't that hard really, especially if you enjoy it. Found it easier than my other subjects but this was years ago so I don't know what it's like now. I also don't think there's much of a problem in doing maths, further maths and economics. I think it's a good combination.
Are there no other subjects you're interested in?

Is there a lot of memorising?, what other A - levels did you take?
Reply 11

Hi!

I'm in my second year of A Levels and I take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Regarding the geography option - I know from looking at the course and friends that the step up from GCSE geography to A Level is a lot smaller than in most other subjects, so a decent Geography A Level grade definitely isn't unrealistic. The next part is really important though - you absolutely cannot take Further Maths as your third subject if you're looking to do economics at LSE. They don't accept it as a third subject as your A Levels will be "insufficiently broad for many of our programmes". They only like Further Maths in addition to 3 other A Levels.

The 3/4 A Level dilemma is a tough one in this situation. I take 4 and I honestly regret it - it's really tough, especially when you have a weak subject (which for me is chemistry). So I'd normally say it's better to get 3 top grades than 4 mediocre. However if you're looking at LSE, having that 4th Further Maths A Level will really give you the edge.

Take a look at their requirements: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements

Hope this helps!
Reply 12
Original post by Jman10101
For an economics degree I heard that further maths is very recommended by the top unis.

Thats what I heard as well, so do you think it is worth is?
Reply 13
Original post by Bobeth
Hi!

I'm in my second year of A Levels and I take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Regarding the geography option - I know from looking at the course and friends that the step up from GCSE geography to A Level is a lot smaller than in most other subjects, so a decent Geography A Level grade definitely isn't unrealistic. The next part is really important though - you absolutely cannot take Further Maths as your third subject if you're looking to do economics at LSE. They don't accept it as a third subject as your A Levels will be "insufficiently broad for many of our programmes". They only like Further Maths in addition to 3 other A Levels.

The 3/4 A Level dilemma is a tough one in this situation. I take 4 and I honestly regret it - it's really tough, especially when you have a weak subject (which for me is chemistry). So I'd normally say it's better to get 3 top grades than 4 mediocre. However if you're looking at LSE, having that 4th Further Maths A Level will really give you the edge.

Take a look at their requirements: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements

Hope this helps!

This has been the best reply, thank you so so much, very helpful, have a nice day!
I'm gonna be doing econ at uni next year and took econ, maths, f.maths and history.

As far as I know, the only university that has stated a strong lack of preference for further maths is LSE, to the point where if you want to apply for straight economics at LSE, you need 3 a-levels, excluding further maths even though further maths is appreciated by them. If you take maths, f.maths and econ then you can still apply for maths and economics at LSE though.

Taking further maths and doing well is a good indicator for universities given that economics at university has a LOT of maths in it, and doing further maths can make your first year easier compared to those who haven't taken it at a-level depending on the course. However, further maths is significantly harder than normal maths so be prepared to work for this one far more than your normal maths a-level.

However, Geography is also very related to economics so that is also helpful.

Imo, if you can, take all 4. Doing so gives you the variety and the benefit of the maths proficiency unis like.

If you are worried that doing 4 could lead to you getting lower scores, then I'd say maths, econ and geography because I think the variety is quite important - are you okay doing maths for 2/3rds of your a-level life? Also, given what I've said about LSE, if you want straight econ at LSE you can't just do maths, f.maths and econ.

Perhaps try talking your form tutor or a teacher you feel comfortable with and ask them how they think you will cope with 4 a-levels. If they are experienced they will have seen other students go through your process and seen how some cope and some struggle a bit.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
This has been the best reply, thank you so so much, very helpful, have a nice day!

No problem, and you!

I would HIGHLY recommend Further Maths as a fellow maths lover though. It's really great - you do a far wider span of maths and the core stuff goes to a really high level which is just a good challenge
I don't think if this advice will be helpful to you or not since I didn't take economics in A levels so....but I'll still try.

Okay so, I studied A level Mathematics, Chem, Physics and ALSO Biology. lol Why did I do this? Firstly because Physics and Chem were compulsory subjects for students studying bio(pre-medical) or math(pre-engineering). Secondly, I really didn't mind studying them because I was interested in all four of them. but what I do regret is that I never got to study Computer sciences in O levels or A levels because over here you can either take bio or computer sciences. :frown: if I could back in time, I'd prolly choose computer sciences over biology because it's SO NEEDED EVERYWHERE. I mean if you love to study economics then go for it but if you can take side subjects that'll help you in future studies or even job, then that'll be a bonus! Computer studies, if you may. lol

Anyways, good luck because A levels is one bumpy roller coaster.
Reply 17
Original post by YasinZahra
I don't think if this advice will be helpful to you or not since I didn't take economics in A levels so....but I'll still try.

Okay so, I studied A level Mathematics, Chem, Physics and ALSO Biology. lol Why did I do this? Firstly because Physics and Chem were compulsory subjects for students studying bio(pre-medical) or math(pre-engineering). Secondly, I really didn't mind studying them because I was interested in all four of them. but what I do regret is that I never got to study Computer sciences in O levels or A levels because over here you can either take bio or computer sciences. :frown: if I could back in time, I'd prolly choose computer sciences over biology because it's SO NEEDED EVERYWHERE. I mean if you love to study economics then go for it but if you can take side subjects that'll help you in future studies or even job, then that'll be a bonus! Computer studies, if you may. lol

Anyways, good luck because A levels is one bumpy roller coaster.

thank you good luck!
Reply 18
Is there a lot of memorising?, what other A - levels did you take?

I did bio, chem, geog and AS maths. I found it pretty straightforward to be honest. There were a lot of notes but it's quite easy to get your head around it all so I didn't feel like I had to actually memorise stuff like with the sciences. That said, if you're not particularly good at it now then it's not exactly going to get any easier. What is it about it that you find difficult? If you can understand it and find it interesting and it's just a problem of learning it all then that's fine, but if you struggle to understand at gcse then I probably wouldn't bother with A level.
Reply 19
Original post by blawan
I did bio, chem, geog and AS maths. I found it pretty straightforward to be honest. There were a lot of notes but it's quite easy to get your head around it all so I didn't feel like I had to actually memorise stuff like with the sciences. That said, if you're not particularly good at it now then it's not exactly going to get any easier. What is it about it that you find difficult? If you can understand it and find it interesting and it's just a problem of learning it all then that's fine, but if you struggle to understand at gcse then I probably wouldn't bother with A level.

Honestly I don't know, I love human Geography and am not so keen on the Physical side so perhaps thats whats bringing my grade down.

Quick Reply

Latest