Turn on thread page Beta

Please help a confused girl choose her A - levels ? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vXX)
    My opinion might not be as useful cuz I’m choosing my alevels this year too but from what I’ve heard universities don’t really care too much about a fourth a-level and doing at least one essay based subject is important. Even if ur predicted a 6 for geography just go for it because if u enjoy it u might just end up motivating urself to work hard for it. Good luck
    good luck at your gcses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalilbigboy)
    i would say do an an art like graphics so the stress load is relieved. It is like taking two a levels at times.
    honestly I wish I could but I am totally not creative and terrible in all creative subjects lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science99999)
    Coming from an independent school, whose population wanting to be a prospective applicant at LSE for economics, are dominated by Chinese. They do the same 4 subjects, regardless; Maths, Further maths, physics and economics. Win Gold in mathematical olympiads, compete in the Kangeroo etc.. So the competition is strong.
    oh nooo i feel like i'll never get in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baza2002)
    If you take 4 you can still get good grades. I'm in y11 and will be doing maths, further maths and physics. Once my GCSEs finish I will try and go through the a-level physics revision guide (I already have it). My further maths GCSE should set me up nicely for starting college as I will have started learning (well, self-teaching) matrices and calculus. If you take 4 then do this - try and cover everything between finishing the GCSEs and starting college for 1 or 2 of your subjects so everything you do in college will be revision for you.
    you think it's possible to do 2 a-levels in a summer whattttt?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Further Maths is a bit variable - however LSE notably requires a fourth subject with Further Maths for Economics, although as I recall Cambridge (and quite likely Oxford) are quite happy with Maths + FM and one other (usually Economics) for Economics.

Geography is a fine choice, and relevant on the human side. The physical side is perhaps less so, and if you dislike this and are mainly interested in the human side you may want to consider say, Government & Politics or Sociology which each consider some related areas.

As above, for the "top" courses (e.g. Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and similar) Further Maths is a huge benefit - it's well worth considering taking 4 subjects to include it. It's worth taking into account that Maths + Further Maths is usually considered to be less work, qualitatively, than two "unrelated A-levels.

That said, there aren't any "wrong" choices provided you're doing Maths firstly (and for those few at the top of the heap, Further Maths) - just take those you are most interested in/enjoy the most, as this will usually translate to you doing well in them.
    can you explain the LSE guidelines again please lol also do you think i will be at any disadvantage if i end up taking maths, eco and geography? will it lower my chances of doing economics and top unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundgirl)
    honestly I wish I could but I am totally not creative and terrible in all creative subjects lol
    lool in graphics you don't need any creativeness you just stick thing down and write about it (essays). If i was you i would do maths graphics and another subject and further maths if you like.

ReputationRep:
    you think it's possible to do 2 a-levels in a summer whattttt?!
    not fully, just like read through the revision guides then when you are is class you already have an understanding of everything

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd take law as universities tend to like that!!! I do law, psychology and criminology and I'm planning on going to Bristol next year to study law!!! Honestly, take law and you won't regret it x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    can you explain the LSE guidelines again please lol also do you think i will be at any disadvantage if i end up taking maths, eco and geography? will it lower my chances of doing economics and top unis?
    You can read it on their website - they only accept Further Maths as a fourth subject for a number of courses, including Economics and most relevant courses you'd take FM for.

Realistically you should consider taking at least AS Further Maths if you're aiming for Oxbridge/similar, and it's available to you. You can look through past freedom of information requests for e.g. Cambridge Economics admissions statistics - FM is very common among successful applicants, and beyond that is very helpful for when you actually are on the course.

You should keep in mind that getting onto the course is not the be all and end all, you need to actually then do the course, and the pace at university (anywhere, but certainly at Oxbridge and arguably LSE/Warwick and similar) is much greater than at school - and you have much less opportunity for individual attention from lecturers and so on. The additional work of another A-level (particularly one that "overlaps" with another, in terms of reinforcing work done in each) is pretty manageable comparably.

It's not necessary to study Economics generally, but if you feel you won't be able to cope with that workload then you may prefer to aim for less intensive courses than those noted anyway - as there are plenty of good courses which aren't quite as involved as those (for example KCL, UCL, most other RG unis etc). For those latter universities your combination is perfectly acceptable however, and will probably be considered by the former - but depending on the applicant cohort, you may or may not be at a slight disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    You can read it on their website - they only accept Further Maths as a fourth subject for a number of courses, including Economics and most relevant courses you'd take FM for.

Realistically you should consider taking at least AS Further Maths if you're aiming for Oxbridge/similar, and it's available to you. You can look through past freedom of information requests for e.g. Cambridge Economics admissions statistics - FM is very common among successful applicants, and beyond that is very helpful for when you actually are on the course.

You should keep in mind that getting onto the course is not the be all and end all, you need to actually then do the course, and the pace at university (anywhere, but certainly at Oxbridge and arguably LSE/Warwick and similar) is much greater than at school - and you have much less opportunity for individual attention from lecturers and so on. The additional work of another A-level (particularly one that "overlaps" with another, in terms of reinforcing work done in each) is pretty manageable comparably.

It's not necessary to study Economics generally, but if you feel you won't be able to cope with that workload then you may prefer to aim for less intensive courses than those noted anyway - as there are plenty of good courses which aren't quite as involved as those (for example KCL, UCL, most other RG unis etc). For those latter universities your combination is perfectly acceptable however, and will probably be considered by the former - but depending on the applicant cohort, you may or may not be at a slight disadvantage.
    so you suggest i should take further maths despite the workload? (also thank you so much for all the advice very appreciated)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    so you suggest i should take further maths despite the workload? (also thank you so much for all the advice very appreciated)
    If you're good at and enjoy maths, then definitely - otherwise no.

If you struggle with maths, or you hate it and are only taking it as a means to an end, I wouldn't recommend FM (or those specific courses, as you'll just spend a large amount of time doing what you hate - with the exception of PPE at Ox/LSE/Warwick, where you can tailor to less quantitative papers if you so chose, although I did mean when referring to Economics at those universities to mean the single honours or E&M at Ox rather than PPE).

ReputationRep:
    I would say take three because AAAA doesn’t equal A*AA

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.