The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge?

In terms of value around the world, teaching quality and student satisfaction (Extra-curricular activities, clubs, accomodation etc), which is better for reading a degree in Medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by Uranium Potato
In terms of value around the world, teaching quality and student satisfaction (Extra-curricular activities, clubs, accomodation etc), which is better for reading a degree in Medicine?

Whichever one you'd enjoy more.
Original post by Uranium Potato

"Reading a degree in medicine" - you sound like you've swallowed a prospectus.

What do you honestly think is the answer to your question?
Original post by Volibear
Did you do your own research before asking?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Yes but i couldn't come to a conclusion unfortunately
Original post by Democracy
"Reading a degree in medicine" - you sound like you've swallowed a prospectus.

What do you honestly think is the answer to your question?

honestly i have no clue lol
Oxford 100%. If you're more of an elitist, prefer an atmosphere with strong-held traditions, then Oxford is a much more preferrable choice. However, I enjoy a community with greater diverstiy in terms of a vartiety of subjects and size. Oxford is larger, and provides much more subjects; the Oxford Union and debating chamber provides greater influence than Cambridge, inviting and hosting a plethora of intellectuals which have made enormous contributions.

However, there are some "celebrities", which have only recieved admission into Oxford because of their identity, or being a nobel prize laureate, not because of skill.
Here are some differences between the unis:

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years at least.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- Transfers - at Oxford some students can go to London after 3 years (essentially any university you choose). At Cambridge you're there for all 6.
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford, although doing something completely tangential at Cambridge (law, economics etc) to is no longer allowed under normal circumstances.
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection. Oxford focuses on other aspects of medicine instead.
- Oxford gets much higher student satisfaction
tbh if you really can't make a decision, pick the one you would have a higher chance of getting into

Quick Reply