Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much would say consults/private doctors earn and at what age?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by peeked)
    How much would say consults/private doctors earn and at what age?
    Private doctors can earn up to atleast £70k by the age of 27.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science99999)
    Just curious, in my opinion I would invest in a chain of private surgeries, and buy a Rolls Royce.
    I'll buy a Range Rover

ReputationRep:
    Lol I wish I expected to earn enough to buy an amazing car.

ReputationRep:
    Benz GLE coupe or jaguar f type, probably the f type

ReputationRep:
    Private doctors can earn up to atleast £70k by the age of 27.
    £70k!! Wow! I mean if medicine is 6 years, you go to uni at 18 so you become a doctor at 24. You do Foundation years 1 and 2, so your 26 now, I thought the salary of FY1 and 2 is around £30k (starting salary of FY1 is £22k). So how would you be able to earn £70k at 27 with only 3 years out of med school? I'm not arguing with you btw, I just was really surprised and confused
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ecolier)
    HANG ON. Who told you that?

Unless you are locuming (i.e. out of training) you will not earn that. You will hope to be a consultant then work privately. You don't want to locum forever as an SHO (which is probably what Science99999) is suggesting.

Guys calm down you are all dreaming here. Listen to REAL doctors (me, @chief wiggum etc.) and we earn nowhere near what you think (at whatever level you are thinking of).
    What about private doctors? They surey earn more? Especially if you practice abroad in Canada or the USA.

ReputationRep:
    What about private doctors? They surey earn more? Especially if you practice abroad in Canada or the USA.
    My dad is a consultant colorectal surgeon, a FRCS, 50 years old and makes £90,000.

That's 26 years of experience with full time work.

If your prerogative is to make money, go with dentistry, or purse an IB job. Medicine isn't worth the effort for just getting money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    My dad is a consultant colorectal surgeon, a FRCS, 50 years old and makes £90,000.

That's 26 years of experience with full time work.

If your prerogative is to make money, go with dentistry, or purse an IB job. Medicine isn't worth the effort for just getting money.
    That's with zero private work, I assume?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    That's with zero private work, I assume?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    How many years' experience?

Consultants start on £76761/year, raising to £86369/year after 5 years, then £92078 after 9 years (as a consultant), £97787 after 14 years and finally £103490 after 19 years. Unless he works part-time....
    Honestly I say 90 because he said he earns close to a 100k so I went with that, and every time I ask him he says "I earn enough"

he might make over a 100 or a bit less. He won't give us a straight answer

We also live in Wales if that means anything financially

I don't know what his schedule is like. Sometimes he's in on weekdays and then others he's working on weekends

Edit; he really, really does not like people who focus on finance while practising medicine. I dont know if he did apply

ReputationRep:
    Range Rover.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My friend's father earns £1million as a private consultant to an arab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Tesla model X, help the environment while in a super nice looking and comfortable car.
    Help the environment by using an electric car, being powered by a coal power plant, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think he must be working part-time (perhaps teaching / research?). The NHS pay scale is easily available online and it applies to the whole of the UK.
    I presumed when that person said "26 years experience", he meant in total as a doctor, rather than as a consultant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xopher_)
    Help the environment by using an electric car, being powered by a coal power plant, lol.
    Doesn't need to be powered by a coal plant does it? Why aren't we increasing coal power plants instead of decreasing then? Never knew Electricity wasn't renewable lol

ReputationRep:
    Well that's different isn't it. If any consultant doctor earns £1million in this country there would be a massive outcry. See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...-gap-revealed/

One doctor in the country earned £740k, but the average male consultant (higher-earning gender) "only" earned £127k / year.
    That is just NHS though. Thankfully would be a good bit higher with private practice.

But yeah, doctors definitely aren't as rich as others seem to think (sadly ).

Well we can work it out. If he is 50 years old, and we assume he became a doctor at 23 years old, then he would have had 27 years as a doctor (as you have deduced). Then he would have been a consultant for about 15-20 years?

If, even after 14 years a consultant would earn £97k/year, with CEA on top there is no way he wouldn't be on >£100k unless he is doing part time.
    Yeah, £90000 does seem rather low. Still, perhaps with no private practice and no clinical excellence awards, that would be roughly accurate? I don't know how common such clinical excellence awards are.

ReputationRep:
    I think he must be working part-time (perhaps teaching / research?). The NHS pay scale is easily available online and it applies to the whole of the UK.
    Well he lectures but a lot of consultants in a university hospital do? Part of the job right?

ReputationRep:
    Remapped F80 M3 Saloon w/ Competition Pack

ReputationRep:
    Second hand Renault 5 obviously
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.