Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If you were a consultant or private doctor, what car would you buy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    a nimbus 2000, or a firebolt if i can afford one

ReputationRep:
    How much would say consults/private doctors earn and at what age?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by peeked)
    How much would say consults/private doctors earn and at what age?
    Private doctors can earn up to atleast £70k by the age of 27.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science99999)
    Just curious, in my opinion I would invest in a chain of private surgeries, and buy a Rolls Royce.
    I'll buy a Range Rover

ReputationRep:
    Lol I wish I expected to earn enough to buy an amazing car.

ReputationRep:
    Benz GLE coupe or jaguar f type, probably the f type

ReputationRep:
    £70k!! Wow! I mean if medicine is 6 years, you go to uni at 18 so you become a doctor at 24. You do Foundation years 1 and 2, so your 26 now, I thought the salary of FY1 and 2 is around £30k (starting salary of FY1 is £22k). So how would you be able to earn £70k at 27 with only 3 years out of med school? I'm not arguing with you btw, I just was really surprised and confused
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    HANG ON. Who told you that?

(Original post by peeked)
    £70k!! Wow! I mean if medicine is 6 years, you go to uni at 18 so you become a doctor at 24. You do Foundation years 1 and 2, so your 26 now, I thought the salary of FY1 and 2 is around £30k (starting salary of FY1 is £22k). So how would you be able to earn £70k at 27 with only 3 years out of med school? I'm not arguing with you btw, I just was really surprised and confused
    Unless you are locuming (i.e. out of training) you will not earn that. You will hope to be a consultant then work privately. You don't want to locum forever as an SHO (which is probably what Science99999) is suggesting.

Guys calm down you are all dreaming here. Listen to REAL doctors (me, @chief wiggum, @democracy etc.) and we earn nowhere near what you think (at whatever level you are thinking of).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ecolier)
    HANG ON. Who told you that?

Unless you are locuming (i.e. out of training) you will not earn that. You will hope to be a consultant then work privately. You don't want to locum forever as an SHO (which is probably what Science99999) is suggesting.

Guys calm down you are all dreaming here. Listen to REAL doctors (me, @chief wiggum etc.) and we earn nowhere near what you think (at whatever level you are thinking of).
    What about private doctors? They surey earn more? Especially if you practice abroad in Canada or the USA.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What about private doctors? They surey earn more? Especially if you practice abroad in Canada or the USA.
    In the UK there are very few (possibly no) private, junior doctors.

If you want to be a consultant, you would have to train in the NHS. That's it. No ifs, no buts. The youngest you can work as a private consultant in this country is 32 years old.

By all means go and practise elsewhere, just be prepared to jump through the hoops that they set for international medical graduates (loads of exams, designed by / for local doctors)

ReputationRep:
    My dad is a consultant colorectal surgeon, a FRCS, 50 years old and makes £90,000.

That's 26 years of experience with full time work.

If your prerogative is to make money, go with dentistry, or purse an IB job. Medicine isn't worth the effort for just getting money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    My dad is a consultant colorectal surgeon, a FRCS, 50 years old and makes £90,000.

If your prerogative is to make money, go with dentistry, or purse an IB job. Medicine isn't worth the effort for just getting money.
    That's with zero private work, I assume?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    That's with zero private work, I assume?
    Yes
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

26 years' experience?

Consultants start on £76761/year, raising to £86369/year after 5 years, then £92078 after 9 years (as a consultant), £97787 after 14 years and finally £103490 after 19 years. This is before any Clinical Excellence Awards, which for someone as experienced as him surely he would have applied for them. Unless he works part-time....

ReputationRep:
    How many years' experience?

Consultants start on £76761/year, raising to £86369/year after 5 years, then £92078 after 9 years (as a consultant), £97787 after 14 years and finally £103490 after 19 years. Unless he works part-time....
    Honestly I say 90 because he said he earns close to a 100k so I went with that, and every time I ask him he says "I earn enough"

he might make over a 100 or a bit less. He won't give us a straight answer

We also live in Wales if that means anything financially

I don't know what his schedule is like. Sometimes he's in on weekdays and then others he's working on weekends

Edit; he really, really does not like people who focus on finance while practising medicine. I dont know if he did apply

ReputationRep:
    Range Rover.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Honestly I say 90 because he said he earns close to a 100k so I went with that, and every time I ask him he says "I earn enough"

he might make over a 100 or a bit less. He won't give us a straight answer

We also live in Wales if that means anything financially
    I think he must be working part-time (perhaps teaching / research?). The NHS pay scale is easily available online and it applies to the whole of the UK.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My friend's father earns £1million as a private consultant to an arab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Tesla model X, help the environment while in a super nice looking and comfortable car.
    Help the environment by using an electric car, being powered by a coal power plant, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think he must be working part-time (perhaps teaching / research?). The NHS pay scale is easily available online and it applies to the whole of the UK.
    I presumed when that person said "26 years experience", he meant in total as a doctor, rather than as a consultant?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.