Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why can't I just focus? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm first year of A levels and I'm having a really hard time actually doing work when it's not under a pressing deadline.

I got through GCSEs and everything before it relatively easily and maybe that is contributing.

I just find myself prioritising other stuff... like writing this post even though I know A levels are massively important and I should really be reading around the subject and stuff like that.

Please help! My parents are pressuring me about it and I feel like crud about it and I still can't focus!

ReputationRep:
    Same here and don’t know how to get in the habit of doing something productive.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This is coming from an ex-A level student:

It's okay to procrastinate sometimes, but let me tell you this. You'll regret it a lot. (I mean I'm an exception, because I had bigger things to worry about)

Anyways, I'm going to give you some study tips alright? The first thing: 1) just take your book(whatever subject you're interested in, you don't have to open it. Just take it for a while). 2) After few minutes, just open the first page, just look at the contents. Once you're done looking at the contents, 3) wait for another few minutes, and 4) then just study the first page of the first chapter and that's it. You're done(I don't mean A levels, lol), just for the time being. 5) Treat yourself with sth(cookies, coffee, insta, fb, twitter etc). Meanwhile you do all this, don't leave your BOOK. And then repeat the same process, make your plan: like how many sub-topics you want to study(keep it few) in like 15 minutes , mark it, and go for it.

One reason you're procrastinating so much, is prolly because you don't participate actively in your class. Like asking questions(because you're afraid they might sound silly). Try asking questions more often in class because the more you question the more you'll know about that certain subject and the more you'll be interested. Try watching youtube videos about topics that you find confusing. Do you know the feeling of getting stuck in Math? it sucks. But what you need to do, is whenever you're stuck in any question, ask your teacher right away! or you can mark that question and move on, and ask your teacher later. P.S you can also ask your questions here, and you won't even feel guilty for using sns. :'D SOMETIMES, try studying beyond your book. It'll make things interesting for you.

will you mind telling me which subjects you find interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YasinZahra)
    This is coming from an ex-A level student:

It's okay to procrastinate sometimes, but let me tell you this. You'll regret it a lot. (I mean I'm an exception, because I had bigger things to worry about)

Anyways, I'm going to give you some study tips alright? The first thing: 1) just take your book(whatever subject you're interested in, you don't have to open it. Just take it for a while). 2) After few minutes, just open the first page, just look at the contents. Once you're done looking at the contents, 3) wait for another few minutes, and 4) then just study the first page of the first chapter and that's it. You're done(I don't mean A levels, lol), just for the time being. 5) Treat yourself with sth(cookies, coffee, insta, fb, twitter etc). Meanwhile you do all this, don't leave your BOOK. And then repeat the same process, make your plan: like how many sub-topics you want to study(keep it few) in like 15 minutes , mark it, and go for it.

One reason you're procrastinating so much, is prolly because you don't participate actively in your class. Like asking questions(because you're afraid they might sound silly). Try asking questions more often in class because the more you question the more you'll know about that certain subject and the more you'll be interested. Try watching youtube videos about topics that you find confusing. Do you know the feeling of getting stuck in Math? it sucks. But what you need to do, is whenever you're stuck in any question, ask your teacher right away! or you can mark that question and move on, and ask your teacher later. P.S you can also ask your questions here, and you won't even feel guilty for using sns. :'D SOMETIMES, try studying beyond your book. It'll make things interesting for you.

will you mind telling me which subjects you find interesting?
    Economics and maths. History not so much like the other two.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with you. It is normal to not feel pressured until it's last minute. We all feel that way at some point (a lot of us all the time). You just need to force yourself to sit down and push through it even if you don't want to. Trying to make yourself *want* to do it doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gerib17)
    Economics and maths. History not so much like the other two.
    hmmm I see. Don't worry, it's your first year right? Procrastination and distractions are common things in the first year. Ever wondered why majority of students get really bad grades in the first year of A levels? It's because no one really understands the seriousness of A level then. But don't worry. Everyday when you come back from college try studying the chapter that was taught to you and once that chapter ends, write down summary of that chapter so in the end of the year you can just revise the chapters and have enough time for Past papers! Try doing the topical solved past papers with the end of every chapter, it will help you you with your doubts or confusions. Also, mark the questions that you find difficult, so you don't forget to revise it in the end!

Anyways, Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YasinZahra)
    hmmm I see. Don't worry, it's your first year right? Procrastination and distractions are common things in the first year. Ever wondered why majority of students get really bad grades in the first year of A levels? It's because no one really understands the seriousness of A level then. But don't worry. Everyday when you come back from college try studying the chapter that was taught to you and once that chapter ends, write down summary of that chapter so in the end of the year you can just revise the chapters and have enough time for Past papers! Try doing the topical solved past papers with the end of every chapter, it will help you you with your doubts or confusions. Also, mark the questions that you find difficult, so you don't forget to revise it in the end!

Anyways, Best of luck!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi- you probably don’t need any more help but I felt inclined to add to this, being a first year A Level student who didn’t have many GCSE problems either.A Levels are HARD. And stressful and there’s a whole lot of work- especially in my opinion, in classes like maths. Being anxious about speaking out, I can’t ask the teacher for help even when I desperately need it. I too, go though this procrastination, and it’s because I feel like I need to perform perfectly in everything, which is impossible. You have to go easy on yourself, tell yourself even if you do a little bit, it’s good enough. Last week I did mock tests for a levels- almost all didn’t go good. And that left me with the determination to learn, to ask questions in class, to go onto this site if I need help, and to revise outside of school because I keep in mind how great it will be when I’m prepared at the end of the year. Make your notes colourful and you’ll enjoy making them more- treat it like a cleansing, fun experience, organising yourself and your studies. If you do a little bit every day or even every week you’ll soon be ready without the stress of last minute study 😊 sorry this was a bit of a boring rant and good luck!! Listen to wordless music too while studying to make it slightly more enjoyable 😊😊

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.