Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 9. I don't know what GCSE options I should choose. I procrastinate a lot, which is bad I know, but I was thinking of picking Art and I've heard lots of opinions about it and I personally like to draw and experiment with things but I'm worried it's going to be consuming. I am also thinking about choosing Psychology because one of the topics is about criminology, which sounds interesting to me but I heard you have to write a lot. I'm thinking of picking both of them but I'm scared it's going to be too much for me to handle. I also, want to pick Computer Science but the only topic I liked was pivot animator. Any advice/suggestions on what I should choose?

ReputationRep:
    Pick ict not computer science computer science gets much different when you get to gcse. And do pick physicology it is amazing and so interesting .you should pick art if you really enjoy it but it is very time consuming but in the end you truly make a work of art.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehar.k101)
    Pick ict not computer science computer science gets much different when you get to gcse. And do pick physicology it is amazing and so interesting .you should pick art if you really enjoy it but it is very time consuming but in the end you truly make a work of art.
    Thanks for replying, I will look into it in more depth but I am not sure if my school has ict as an option...I might ask some teachers.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology GCSE was my favourite subject at GCSE. It was so interesting, and always held my interest. It's not like History or English where you write a lot, more a Biology or Geography kind of write a lot if you understand? There are essays you hae to write, but very few, and limited to six marks apiece (at least for AQA. Don't know which board you're doing). Some tick the box questions, definition questions, etc. So not loads.
    Art... I chose it because I wanted fun, and wanted to get away from all my academic subjects. Art was the only subject I failed. If you care about art, and enjoy it, by all means go for it. It was enjoyable, even if I didn't do well, because it took me out of my own head sometimes.
    I can't really help with CompSci, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewinterstudent)
    Psychology GCSE was my favourite subject at GCSE. It was so interesting, and always held my interest. It's not like History or English where you write a lot, more a Biology or Geography kind of write a lot if you understand? There are essays you hae to write, but very few, and limited to six marks apiece (at least for AQA. Don't know which board you're doing). Some tick the box questions, definition questions, etc. So not loads.
    Art... I chose it because I wanted fun, and wanted to get away from all my academic subjects. Art was the only subject I failed. If you care about art, and enjoy it, by all means go for it. It was enjoyable, even if I didn't do well, because it took me out of my own head sometimes.
    I can't really help with CompSci, unfortunately.
    It's ok...I love art for the same reason, thanks for sharing

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy there, I completely understand what you're going through at the moment, it was only last year I had to pick my options.

Computer Science is one of the subjects I have chosen, take it from me, only take it if you're completely passionate about it otherwise it's very hard to do well in it. There is a huge load of content to learn and memorize, and the exam questions are quite challenging (coming from someone who was flying their way through computer science in ks3). Although, if you didn't enjoy coding, there's some good news, the exam boards got rid of the coding coursework, however, I expect there will be a lot of problem-solving questions in the exam about programming so keep that in mind. I think you could only do well in computing if you genuinely enjoy it (that's true for me, I only do well on the topics I find interesting in it).

Pretty much all of my friends took art, and from what I've heard it seems extremely stressful yet very rewarding. If you enjoy it, I say go for it! Just a pre-warning, you may have to stay behind some school days in order to finish some artwork. Most of my friends who took art stay behind 2-3 days every week so they can stay on top off all their art coursework.

In terms of psychology, I can't help with that, but if you find it interesting I'm certain you will be able to do well in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowl-of-rice)
    Heyyy there, I completely understand what you're going through at the moment, it was only last year I had to pick my options.

Computer Science is one of the subjects I have chosen, take it from me, only take it if you're completely passionate about it otherwise it's very hard to do well in it. There is a huge load of content to learn and memorize, and the exam questions are quite challenging (coming from someone who was flying their way through computer science in ks3). Although, if you didn't enjoy coding, there's some good news, the exam boards got rid of the coding coursework, however, I expect there will be a lot of problem-solving questions in the exam about programming so keep that in mind. I think you could only do well in computing if you genuinely enjoy it (that's true for me, I only do well on the topics I find interesting in it).

Pretty much all of my friends took art, and from what I've heard it seems extremely stressful yet very rewarding. If you enjoy it, I say go for it! Just a pre-warning, you may have to stay behind some school days in order to finish some artwork. Most of my friends who took art stay behind 2-3 days every week so they can stay on top off all their art coursework.

In terms of psychology, I can't help with that, but if you find it interesting I'm certain you will be able to do well in it.
    Thanks for clarifying I'll keep that in mind...

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.