Turn on thread page Beta

I have my National 5 french Speaking Exam On March 6th watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just written out my speaking, can anyone tell me if this is okay? We have to speak about the topic of holidays which we have recently studied, we then have to have a conversation with our teacher which involves her asking me questions. To receive a high mark I should ask her questions too does anyone have any ideas on good questions to ask? Also any good tips for revising and being able to understand what is being asked?
    Here is my first draft of my presentation on my opinion and experience of holidays:
    Bonjour, je m'appelle Elleisha et j'ai quinze ans. J'habite dans Ecossse, avec ma famille,mon petite soeur, ma mere et mon pere.
    Ete dernier je suis alle a Ibiza avec ma famille. Habituellement, nous allons ici patrce que nous avons profiter de la culture. Nous avons voyage par avion, que le vol a dure trois heures. J'aime voler parce que c'est confortable et j'ai profiter de la vue depuis la fenetre.
    Nous avons passe de jours a Ibiza dans un cinq etoiles hotel de luxe. A mon avis, dix jours est une duree ideale. Je pense que la ville en que nous sommes restes etait magnifique, les plages ont ete excellents.
    Pendant les vacances, nous avons visite un parc aquatique, ma petite soeur et j'ai adore cela.
    Dans l'ensemble Ibiza e'tait d'excellents vacances.

L'annee prochaine, pendant les vacances d'ete, je vais aller a Tenerife et je vais rester dans un hotel dans le centre de Las Americas. Je vais aller avec ma famille et nous allons voyager en avion parce que c'est pratique. Je suis heureux d'aller l'annee prochaine car ce sera tres chaud.

Pour mes vacances e reve, je voudrais visiter la Finlande parce que j'aime la neige et la culture. En outre je voudrais aller a Rovaniemi, en particulier pour que je peux fair du ski. Ce serait genial d'aller ici dans le futur!

Any feedback at all would be highly appreciated, and if you think anything needs to be changed or there is a more advanced phrase I could have used please just say, also any ideas for questions would be great!

thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elleishaxo)
    I have just written out my speaking, can anyone tell me if this is okay? We have to speak about the topic of holidays which we have recently studied, we then have to have a conversation with our teacher which involves her asking me questions. To receive a high mark I should ask her questions too does anyone have any ideas on good questions to ask? Also any good tips for revising and being able to understand what is being asked?
    Here is my first draft of my presentation on my opinion and experience of holidays:
    Bonjour, je m'appelle Elleisha et j'ai quinze ans. J'habite dans Ecossse, avec ma famille,mon petite soeur, ma mere et mon pere.
    Ete dernier je suis alle a Ibiza avec ma famille. Habituellement, nous allons ici patrce que nous avons profiter de la culture. Nous avons voyage par avion, que le vol a dure trois heures. J'aime voler parce que c'est confortable et j'ai profiter de la vue depuis la fenetre.
    Nous avons passe de jours a Ibiza dans un cinq etoiles hotel de luxe. A mon avis, dix jours est une duree ideale. Je pense que la ville en que nous sommes restes etait magnifique, les plages ont ete excellents.
    Pendant les vacances, nous avons visite un parc aquatique, ma petite soeur et j'ai adore cela.
    Dans l'ensemble Ibiza e'tait d'excellents vacances.

L'annee prochaine, pendant les vacances d'ete, je vais aller a Tenerife et je vais rester dans un hotel dans le centre de Las Americas. Je vais aller avec ma famille et nous allons voyager en avion parce que c'est pratique. Je suis heureux d'aller l'annee prochaine car ce sera tres chaud.

Pour mes vacances e reve, je voudrais visiter la Finlande parce que j'aime la neige et la culture. En outre je voudrais aller a Rovaniemi, en particulier pour que je peux fair du ski. Ce serait genial d'aller ici dans le futur!

Any feedback at all would be highly appreciated, and if you think anything needs to be changed or there is a more advanced phrase I could have used please just say, also any ideas for questions would be great!

thank you
    Wow! This sounds great! I got an A in National 5 French last year, so if you want any help, just let me know.
    Your speaking presentation looks very similar to what I wrote so make sure you know it fluently and ensure your pronunciation is good! Also make sure you know your questions well - my teacher changed the order of them in the speaking exam. I'm sure you'll do great so be confident!

ReputationRep:
    Do not get upset by what seems like a lonnnng list. You have done a really good job here!
    Some of these are minor corrections you may not even need.
    In bold are important ones.

Quick note: words like étaient, you don't pronounce the ent.

Ask your teacher to talk through your speaking when it is written down and you can record it. This means you can really hit all the right pronunciations. You can do this with your questions as well.

...j'habite enEcosse... Dans isn't what you use for countries.
    ...avec ma famille, y compris mon... this means 'this includes'. You don't have to change that, it just introduces it better.
    make sure when you say words like mère and père, you really roll your r's. The language guy does a good video on this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9W8qchd6xA
    L'éte dernière. Make sure you pronounce the r here too. Also it's feminine because éteis feminine that's why it will change the pronunciation a bit.
    ...je suis allée... You may not know this as its nat. 5, but when we use past tense and its an action verb (like aller, to go) you have to use être, and that means that the verb has to agree in number and gender, so we add an e for you because you are female.
    ..nous allons y parce que... ici means here, wheras y refers to Ibiza. the parce part was probably just a typo, but still.
    ...parce quenous aimons... That didn't make much sense, the literal translation was 'we have to enjoy'. Nous aimons means we like.
    ...Nous avons voyagéenavion, le vol a duré trois heures. We say en for travel, I went there by bus = J'y suis allé(e) en bus. This is only really different for going by foot, which uses à. Take out the que. It adds an extra 'that' which is unnecessary.
    ...c'est confortable et j'aime la vue... Avoid the profiter verb. It seems that you are using it in the past tense which is difficult to use at nat. 5. Using I like can be dull at times so you can also change it up by using j'apprécie or even saying the sentence and adding je pense/crois que c'est bien (I think/believe that it's good.) at the end.
    ...nous avons passé nos journées en Ibiza. Nos is our for plural. Again en for countries.
    ...dans un hôtel de luxe. Using the five star part if you want, (although it is unnecessary) would mean saying: un hôtel de luxe de cinqs etoiles. Five becomes plural because the stars are plural, though it isn't pronounced and it goes after the noun as it acts as an adjective. It's kind of like colours, they come afterwards.
    ...À mon avis, dix jours est un moment idéal. this avoids saying the r sound as I know they can be tricky.
    ...Je pense que la ville nous sommes restes était magnifique, les plages étaient excellents. So où is just where, it makes it simpler. The étaient is the conjugation for plurals. Again, past tense is tricky. If you're studying Higher, try buying this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bescherelle.../dp/2218951983 In hardback (it won't work with kindle, it's like a dictionary) It helps you to pick it up.
    ...soeur et moi avons adore ça. As you're using and me it should be et moi, because you can get confused with the je like you did there. You use the we conjugation for past tense here as a result. The ça refers back to the park.
    'Dans l'ensemble Ibiza e'tait d'excellents vacances'. Not really sure what you're trying to say here. I'm assuming it was 'Overall, Ibiza was a great holiday'. You can change this to, 'tout ma famille pense que Ibiza était une bonne éxperience'. Which is: all of my family think that Ibiza was a good experience. It gives an opinion and clarifies who thought it was good.
    ...pendant l'éte je voudrais... L'année prochaine is future tense, so now you have to speak in future tense too. Je voudrais is I would like.
    ... et rester... we don't need the extra 'je voudrais' here.
    'Las Americas' Not sure what this is either. Las isn't what we use in french. If you mean USA, you would say dans la centre d'états-unis which is United states. Because of the hyphen, make sure you say it like 'zuni' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm_Lh_lZXFs). If you mean America, then you would say l'Amérique. Its feminine but we drop the a in La because of the vowels.
    Je voudrais aller... Again, would like for future tense.
    'Je suis heureux d'aller l'annee prochaine car ce sera tres chaud' Doesn't make sense logically. It implies that as the years increase temperature rises exponentially. It should be 'Je suis heureux d'aller l'éte prochaine parce qu'elle sera plus chaud que maintenant'. This means: I am happy to go next summer because it will be hotter than it is now. We use elle after the que because America is feminine. If you use the united states make sure to write elles.
    ...La vacance de mes rêves est... We use this because it means: the holiday of my dreams is... What you said before didn't make any sense, but I got what you meant.
    Aussi je voudrais aller a Rovaniemi, en Finlande car je voudrais faire du ski quand j'y suis. This means: I would like to go to Rovaniemi in Finland (I didn't know what that was so its best to explain it in the exam.) because I would like to go skiing while I am there.
    ...ça serait genial d'aller en Finlande dans le futur! This avoids saying ici again, which means here.

Now for possible questions.

They may ask:
    As-tu déjà visité la France? - Have you ever visited France. It may even be Avez-vous visité la France?

If yes, they might ask Qu'est-ce tu as fait? - What did you do?

Quelles sont les meilleures vacances que tu as passée - Whats your favourite holiday that you've been on?

Quelles sont les avantages de partir en vacances avec ton parents? - What are the advantages of going on holiday with your parents?
    Quelles sont les inconvenients de partir en vacances avec ton parents? - What are the disadvantages of going on holiday with your parents?

Tu préfères aller à l'étranger ou rester en Ecosse? - Do you prefer to go to a foreign country(or somewhere foreign) or stay in Scotland?

Dans le futur, tu aimerai partir en vacances avec tes copains/amis? - In the future, would you like to go on holiday with your friends?
    Por quoi/ Pourquoi pas? - Why/ Why not?
    Quels sont les avantages de ca? - What are the advantages of that?
    Quels sont les inconvenients de ca? -What are the disadvantages of that?

Tu préfères rester dans une auberge de jeunesse ou un hôtel?- Do you prefer to stay in a youth hostel or hotel?

Questions you can ask:
    note : try and use vous when referring to your teacher.
    Et vous? - And yourself?

Quelles sont les meilleures vacances que vous avons passée - Whats your favourite holiday that you've been on?

Vous préfères aller à l'étranger ou rester en Ecosse? - Do you prefer to go to a foreign country(or somewhere foreign) or stay in Scotland?

Vous pense quoi au sujet de ca? - What do you think about that?

Quelle est votre destination de vacances de reve? - What is the destination of your dreams?
    Porqoui? - Why?

Overall though, a really good job!!

That is all I can think of. Let me know if you have any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedTalksWithJoy)
    Wow! This sounds great! I got an A in National 5 French last year, so if you want any help, just let me know.
    Your speaking presentation looks very similar to what I wrote so make sure you know it fluently and ensure your pronunciation is good! Also make sure you know your questions well - my teacher changed the order of them in the speaking exam. I'm sure you'll do great so be confident!
    Thank you so much!! How did you revise for french to achieve an A? I got a B in my speaking and an A in my writing assignment so both of these greats contribute 40% to my overall grade which should be a good boost, any tips would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freya Jackson)
    Do not get upset by what seems like a lonnnng list. You have done a really good job here!
    Some of these are minor corrections you may not even need.
    In bold are important ones.

Quick note: words like étaient, you don't pronounce the ent.

Ask your teacher to talk through your speaking when it is written down and you can record it. This means you can really hit all the right pronunciations. You can do this with your questions as well.

...j'habite enEcosse... Dans isn't what you use for countries.
    ...avec ma famille, y compris mon... this means 'this includes'. You don't have to change that, it just introduces it better.
    make sure when you say words like mère and père, you really roll your r's. The language guy does a good video on this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9W8qchd6xA
    L'éte dernière. Make sure you pronounce the r here too. Also it's feminine because éteis feminine that's why it will change the pronunciation a bit.
    ...je suis allée... You may not know this as its nat. 5, but when we use past tense and its an action verb (like aller, to go) you have to use être, and that means that the verb has to agree in number and gender, so we add an e for you because you are female.
    ..nous allons y parce que... ici means here, wheras y refers to Ibiza. the parce part was probably just a typo, but still.
    ...parce quenous aimons... That didn't make much sense, the literal translation was 'we have to enjoy'. Nous aimons means we like.
    ...Nous avons voyagéenavion, le vol a duré trois heures. We say en for travel, I went there by bus = J'y suis allé(e) en bus. This is only really different for going by foot, which uses à. Take out the que. It adds an extra 'that' which is unnecessary.
    ...c'est confortable et j'aime la vue... Avoid the profiter verb. It seems that you are using it in the past tense which is difficult to use at nat. 5. Using I like can be dull at times so you can also change it up by using j'apprécie or even saying the sentence and adding je pense/crois que c'est bien (I think/believe that it's good.) at the end.
    ...nous avons passé nos journéesen Ibiza. Nos is our for plural. Again en for countries.
    ...dans un hôtel de luxe. Using the five star part if you want, (although it is unnecessary) would mean saying: un hôtel de luxe de cinqs etoiles. Five becomes plural because the stars are plural, though it isn't pronounced and it goes after the noun as it acts as an adjective. It's kind of like colours, they come afterwards.
    ...À mon avis, dix jours est un moment idéal. this avoids saying the r sound as I know they can be tricky.
    ...Je pense que la ville nous sommes restes était magnifique, les plages étaient excellents. So où is just where, it makes it simpler. The étaient is the conjugation for plurals. Again, past tense is tricky. If you're studying Higher, try buying this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bescherelle.../dp/2218951983 In hardback (it won't work with kindle, it's like a dictionary) It helps you to pick it up.
    ...soeur et moi avons adore ça. As you're using and me it should be et moi, because you can get confused with the je like you did there. You use the we conjugation for past tense here as a result. The ça refers back to the park.
    'Dans l'ensemble Ibiza e'tait d'excellents vacances'. Not really sure what you're trying to say here. I'm assuming it was 'Overall, Ibiza was a great holiday'. You can change this to, 'tout ma famille pense que Ibiza était une bonne éxperience'. Which is: all of my family think that Ibiza was a good experience. It gives an opinion and clarifies who thought it was good.
    ...pendant l'éte je voudrais... L'année prochaine is future tense, so now you have to speak in future tense too. Je voudrais is I would like.
    ...et rester... we don't need the extra 'je voudrais' here.
    'Las Americas' Not sure what this is either. Las isn't what we use in french. If you mean USA, you would say dans la centre d'états-unis which is United states. Because of the hyphen, make sure you say it like 'zuni' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm_Lh_lZXFs). If you mean America, then you would say l'Amérique. Its feminine but we drop the a in La because of the vowels.
    Je voudrais aller... Again, would like for future tense.
    'Je suis heureux d'aller l'annee prochaine car ce sera tres chaud' Doesn't make sense logically. It implies that as the years increase temperature rises exponentially. It should be 'Je suis heureux d'aller l'éte prochaine parce qu'elle sera plus chaud que maintenant'. This means: I am happy to go next summer because it will be hotter than it is now. We use elle after the que because America is feminine. If you use the united states make sure to write elles.
    ...La vacance de mes rêves est... We use this because it means: the holiday of my dreams is... What you said before didn't make any sense, but I got what you meant.
    Aussi je voudrais aller a Rovaniemi, en Finlande car je voudrais faire du ski quand j'y suis. This means: I would like to go to Rovaniemi in Finland (I didn't know what that was so its best to explain it in the exam.) because I would like to go skiing while I am there.
    ...ça serait genial d'aller en Finlande dans le futur! This avoids saying ici again, which means here.

Now for possible questions.

They may ask:
    As-tu déjà visité la France? - Have you ever visited France. It may even be Avez-vous visité la France?

If yes, they might ask Qu'est-ce tu as fait? - What did you do?

Quelles sont les meilleures vacances que tu as passée - Whats your favourite holiday that you've been on?

Quelles sont les avantages de partir en vacances avec ton parents? - What are the advantages of going on holiday with your parents?
    Quelles sont les inconvenients de partir en vacances avec ton parents? - What are the disadvantages of going on holiday with your parents?

Tu préfères aller à l'étranger ou rester en Ecosse? - Do you prefer to go to a foreign country(or somewhere foreign) or stay in Scotland?

Dans le futur, tu aimerai partir en vacances avec tes copains/amis? - In the future, would you like to go on holiday with your friends?

Tu préfères rester dans une auberge de jeunesse ou un hôtel?- Do you prefer to stay in a youth hostel or hotel?

Questions you can ask:
    note : try and use vous when referring to your teacher.
    Et vous? - And yourself?

Quelles sont les meilleures vacances que vous avons passée - Whats your favourite holiday that you've been on?

Vous préfères aller à l'étranger ou rester en Ecosse? - Do you prefer to go to a foreign country(or somewhere foreign) or stay in Scotland?

Vous pense quoi au sujet de ca? - What do you think about that?

Quelle est votre destination de vacances de reve? - What is the destination of your dreams?
    Porqoui? - Why?

Overall though, a really good job!!

That is all I can think of. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!! How did you revise for french to achieve an A? I got a B in my speaking and an A in my writing assignment so both of these greats contribute 40% to my overall grade which should be a good boost, any tips would be appreciated
    I first of all, make sure to complete all the SQA past papers on the website, particularly focusing on the listening section of the exam as that can be the most difficult.
    I also created a list of key words to remember for both the listening and the reading section. Even just learning a few difficult words that the SQA may throw in there makes all the difference as you save a little time!
    Something that really helped me was listening to France24. This is a French news channel, but really makes a difference when getting to grips with the French accent and common words to listen out for.
    Finally, make sure you know your four bullet points word for word. Getting these marks stands you in great stead for the rest of the exam - also trying to prepare for the two unpredictable bullet points is hard but if you can try and learn a few phrases, it does help.

Well done for both your speaking and writing results! I'm sure you'll do great in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedTalksWithJoy)
    I first of all, make sure to complete all the SQA past papers on the website, particularly focusing on the listening section of the exam as that can be the most difficult.
    I also created a list of key words to remember for both the listening and the reading section. Even just learning a few difficult words that the SQA may throw in there makes all the difference as you save a little time!
    Something that really helped me was listening to France24. This is a French news channel, but really makes a difference when getting to grips with the French accent and common words to listen out for.
    Finally, make sure you know your four bullet points word for word. Getting these marks stands you in great stead for the rest of the exam - also trying to prepare for the two unpredictable bullet points is hard but if you can try and learn a few phrases, it does help.

Well done for both your speaking and writing results! I'm sure you'll do great in the exam!
    Thank you so much, this is very helpful! I will certainly take on board this advice. And I appreciate the support
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, this is very helpful! I will certainly take on board this advice. And I appreciate the support
    You're welcome!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.