The Student Room Group

Of Mice and menn yr 8

How does Steinbeck use emotion to show the dream is over in OF Mice And Men?
Need help ASAP
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you only needing to talk about emotion or do you need to use language devices? Also have you read the last chapter, Chapter 6
Reply 2
Original post by NR22
Are you only needing to talk about emotion or do you need to use language devices? Also have you read the last chapter, Chapter 6

I need to use PEARL techniques and the question is mainly for chapter 5,
thanks
Reply 3
Never heard of PEARL technique what does that stand for, okay give me a minute to read chapter six haven’t done it in 2 years
Reply 4
Original post by NR22
Never heard of PEARL technique what does that stand for, okay give me a minute to read chapter six haven’t done it in 2 years

Pearl means Point Evidence Analysis Reader response. Link
Reply 5
Okay I never used techniques I found they restrict personal writing styles, are you okay with me just giving you a few quick ideas then you can develop them and find the quote in chapter 5
Reply 6
Original post by NR22
Okay I never used techniques I found they restrict personal writing styles, are you okay with me just giving you a few quick ideas then you can develop them and find the quote in chapter 5

Yes that's perfectly fine.
Reply 7
"I tell you I ain't used to livin' like this. I coulda made somethin' of myself." She said darkly, "Maybe I will yet." And then her words tumbled out in a passion of communication, as though she hurried before her listener could be taken away. "I lived right in Salinas," she said. "Come there when I was a kid. Well, a show come through, an' I met one of the actors. He says I could go with that show. But my ol' lady wouldn' let me. She says because I was on'y fifteen. But the guy says I coulda. If I'd went, I wouldn't be livin' like this, you bet."

^You can talk about this as showing the first sign of depression, that Curley’s wife had her dream just like everyone else, but she never gets her dream to come true which foreshadows (hints in advance) that George and Lennie’s dream won’t come true either. You can see through how she “hurried before her listener” that due to the American dream being dead it caused loneliness and just made people long for a feeling of belonging.
Reply 8
Original post by NR22
"I tell you I ain't used to livin' like this. I coulda made somethin' of myself." She said darkly, "Maybe I will yet." And then her words tumbled out in a passion of communication, as though she hurried before her listener could be taken away. "I lived right in Salinas," she said. "Come there when I was a kid. Well, a show come through, an' I met one of the actors. He says I could go with that show. But my ol' lady wouldn' let me. She says because I was on'y fifteen. But the guy says I coulda. If I'd went, I wouldn't be livin' like this, you bet."

^You can talk about this as showing the first sign of depression, that Curley’s wife had her dream just like everyone else, but she never gets her dream to come true which foreshadows (hints in advance) that George and Lennie’s dream won’t come true either. You can see through how she “hurried before her listener” that due to the American dream being dead it caused loneliness and just made people long for a feeling of belonging.

Thank you very much!
Reply 9
"Then—it’s all off?" Candy asked sulkily. George didn’t answer his question. George said, "I’ll work my month an’ I’ll take my fifty bucks an’ I’ll stay all night in some lousy cat house. Or I’ll set in some poolroom til ever’body goes home. An’ then I’ll come back an’ work another month an’ I’ll have fifty bucks more.

You can see through George’s lack of care that due to the Dream being dead he felt like everyone else (remember at start of the book He says that’s what everyone does with their money they go to the cat house and Lennie said “but not us George”) this shows that the American dream was a source of hope and once took away it took away the meaning of life for people.
Reply 10
Sorry I’m bit busy tonight so these are very rushed and not the best you’d need to develop them yourself, if I had more time I’d give you an A* answer or level 9 if that’s what it is now ahahaha
Reply 11
Just thought and then unfortunately I’ll have to leave it there, a good idea to develop would be talking about how Lennie kills Curely’s wife which leads to Lennie having to die, which led to the dream not coming true... you could go into how 1) it was due to selfishness that the American dream didn’t come true because no one wanted to help the other person achieve the their dream, this is shown through Lennie would rather let everything to feed his own desires than show control so that him and George could achieve together. 2) You could say that the consequences which were all knock on affects from Curely’s wife’s death represents how the American dream was impossible after the Wall Street crash which was caused by stock market investors selling their shares which caused a scare which made everyone want to sell their shares, which made businesses and banks collapse, which made people unemployed... therefore the rolling consequences of the wife dying then Lennie dying then the dream dying is just imagery of how real life caused everyone’s dreams to die. (This would require quite a deep analysis but if you put time into this you could pull of an amazing essay👍)
Original post by NR22
Just thought and then unfortunately I’ll have to leave it there, a good idea to develop would be talking about how Lennie kills Curely’s wife which leads to Lennie having to die, which led to the dream not coming true... you could go into how 1) it was due to selfishness that the American dream didn’t come true because no one wanted to help the other person achieve the their dream, this is shown through Lennie would rather let everything to feed his own desires than show control so that him and George could achieve together. 2) You could say that the consequences which were all knock on affects from Curely’s wife’s death represents how the American dream was impossible after the Wall Street crash which was caused by stock market investors selling their shares which caused a scare which made everyone want to sell their shares, which made businesses and banks collapse, which made people unemployed... therefore the rolling consequences of the wife dying then Lennie dying then the dream dying is just imagery of how real life caused everyone’s dreams to die. (This would require quite a deep analysis but if you put time into this you could pull of an amazing essay👍)

Okay thanks for the advice and the great ideas!

Quick Reply

Latest