Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what are the chances of getting admission for phD program once you complete your M Res ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaee s.)
    what are the chances of getting admission for phD program once you complete your M Res ?
    really depends how good your CV is (particurly if you have published research and a good reference), and how many PhD applications you can make. its not particularly easy as the main obstacle is getting funding for the phd from somewhere (usually quite competitive), unlike getting onto an MRes program is fairly easy as your paying for the privilege.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi, I'm not sure if you've already completed your MRes or are deciding on whether to start one, but if it is the latter, some universities (such as Bath, Bristol, Exeter, etc.) do a 1+3 pathway into PhD. You have to select that before you start your MRes, but the university should help you apply for funding, etc. from the start. Progression into the PhD is subject to academic achievement, but I think as long as you have a 2.1 in the MRes you should be fine. Do have a look here for some more information.

Generally, I think it is easier if you have identified a research topic and potential supervisor to contact them with the idea and apply for funding together. There is, of course, the other option of applying for the PhD and then getting funding for it or funding it yourself. I think generally an acceptance into a PhD program will depend on your research proposal (e.g. is it doable, will there be an appropriate supervisor, etc.) and your personal statement/CV.

The last bits are just my opinion though and I am currently not planning on continuing on to a PhD (or at least not yet) after my MRes, so it might not be entirely accurate.

Good luck with it!

Danny
    MRes Psychology

ReputationRep:
    ohh thanks a lot! that was really quick and informative.
    I am planning to go ahead with my MRes.
    one important thing,
    as you have mentioned that there are some universities which offer 1+3 program.

so while applying for MRES we have to mention it?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    ohh thanks a lot! that was really quick and informative.
    I am planning to go ahead with my MRes.
    one important thing,
    as you have mentioned that there are some universities which offer 1+3 program.

so while applying for MRES we have to mention it?

Hey, I am no sure about other universities, but I'd assume it's the same - the 1+3 pathway has a different unit code than the standard MRes course so when you apply you should be able to select which course specifically you are applying for.

If there is no such option but there is a 1+3 course, I recommend emailing the particular university's PG admissions team to ask about specifics.

Good luck with your applications!

P.S.: If you have any more specific questions, please do ask me but make sure to quote my post so we receive a notification for it and respond to you faster.

Danny,
    MRes Psychology

ReputationRep:
    Hi am
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am considering applying for an MRes in Psychology at Bath. How was the course and what was the application process like? I have been trying get a list of potential supervisor but I am not sure who might be able to supervise. I have an idea of what I want to study but not a complete proposal?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Psych_MA)
    Hi I am considering applying for an MRes in Psychology at Bath. How was the course and what was the application process like? I have been trying get a list of potential supervisor but I am not sure who might be able to supervise. I have an idea of what I want to study but not a complete proposal?
    Hey, I'm glad you're considering Bath!

Personally, I found the application process quite easy in the practical sense. You just have to create an account on here and then upload all the documents you need to such as CV, personal statement, research proposal, etc. and also give your referees' details so they can upload your references. This, along with email, will be where you would receive any information requests, etc. and where you would be able to check the progress of your application, as well as (hopefully) receive an offer letter.

However, in terms of writing up all the documents, etc. I was struggling a bit as I am the type of person who needs a deadline to press them a little (therefore I submitted my application quite late, but should definitely have done it earlier in terms of potential issues with finding accommodation when submitting late), etc. You seem to be quite on it though, so I think this would not be as much of an issue for you.

In regard to your research proposal - it is not necessary to stick to that proposal when you get to uni, but it will be easier for the department to potentially consider who could be your supervisor, as well as get a taste of your academic writing.

You will not need to have a supervisor right away, most people come from different countries, and sometimes completely different courses, so everyone is kind of in the same boat. Doing your research early does help though, and I realize it is also a requirement for the proposal to come up with a person or two to supervise you. If you don't mind letting me know what area you are interested in, I could give you some pointers about a supervisor. They might not be available to supervise you once you come to uni, but the department will try to get someone who is at least somewhat knowledgeable in your area, and if not - they are all great researchers, so they should be able to help you out whether they are experts in the field or not.

It is also possible to get a supervisor from a different department if necessary as the MRes course is not just a Psychology option and a lot of the units are shared with all other MRes Social Sciences courses. If you are unable to decide on a supervisor on your own, or the ones you contact are unavailable - you will be asked to write a short summary of what you would like to do (around two weeks in) and the department will try to find the best match for you.

Also, because of the way the MRes courses are currently structured, you start writing your dissertation during the summer and start off with two smaller pieces of work (first is basically a proposal) on which to build on for your dissertation. You will be able to potentially change supervisor for each piece of work if you feel the direction of your research is changing and someone else is more suitable, or if for some reason you and your first supervisor just don't click.

If you would like any suggestions about supervisors in your area, please make sure to quote this post so we get a notification about it and can reply swiftly.

Danny,
    MRes Psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Bath)
    Hey, I'm glad you're considering Bath!

Personally, I found the application process quite easy in the practical sense. You just have to create an account on here and then upload all the documents you need to such as CV, personal statement, research proposal, etc. and also give your referees' details so they can upload your references. This, along with email, will be where you would receive any information requests, etc. and where you would be able to check the progress of your application, as well as (hopefully) receive an offer letter.

However, in terms of writing up all the documents, etc. I was struggling a bit as I am the type of person who needs a deadline to press them a little (therefore I submitted my application quite late, but should definitely have done it earlier in terms of potential issues with finding accommodation when submitting late), etc. You seem to be quite on it though, so I think this would not be as much of an issue for you.

In regard to your research proposal - it is not necessary to stick to that proposal when you get to uni, but it will be easier for the department to potentially consider who could be your supervisor, as well as get a taste of your academic writing.

You will not need to have a supervisor right away, most people come from different countries, and sometimes completely different courses, so everyone is kind of in the same boat. Doing your research early does help though, and I realize it is also a requirement for the proposal to come up with a person or two to supervise you. If you don't mind letting me know what area you are interested in, I could give you some pointers about a supervisor. They might not be available to supervise you once you come to uni, but the department will try to get someone who is at least somewhat knowledgeable in your area, and if not - they are all great researchers, so they should be able to help you out whether they are experts in the field or not.

It is also possible to get a supervisor from a different department if necessary as the MRes course is not just a Psychology option and a lot of the units are shared with all other MRes Social Sciences courses. If you are unable to decide on a supervisor on your own, or the ones you contact are unavailable - you will be asked to write a short summary of what you would like to do (around two weeks in) and the department will try to find the best match for you.

Also, because of the way the MRes courses are currently structured, you start writing your dissertation during the summer and start off with two smaller pieces of work (first is basically a proposal) on which to build on for your dissertation. You will be able to potentially change supervisor for each piece of work if you feel the direction of your research is changing and someone else is more suitable, or if for some reason you and your first supervisor just don't click.

If you would like any suggestions about supervisors in your area, please make sure to quote this post so we get a notification about it and can reply swiftly.

Danny,
    MRes Psychology
    Thank you so much that has been quite informative. I am interested in Autism, I am not quite sure what the research design might be but I know what area I want to look into.

I have also been told that the MRes comprises of a dissertation, a small project and a larger project, is that correct? Also any benefits of doing the course part time?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Psych_MA)
    Thank you so much that has been quite informative. I am interested in Autism, I am not quite sure what the research design might be but I know what area I want to look into.

I have also been told that the MRes comprises of a dissertation, a small project and a larger project, is that correct? Also any benefits of doing the course part time?
    Hey, I'm sorry for the delay in replying, it has been quite a busy time for us before Easter.

We have recently established Center for Applied Autism Research here at Bath so there are a few members of staff who do quite a bit of research in the field.

Particularly, Dr Chris Ashwin and Dr Mark Brosnon. Both of them have thought me and I would personally love it if either of them were to be my supervisor. On the pages I've hyperlinked you can see some of their published work to get an idea of what areas they are interested in. You might get a bit of inspiration regarding your proposal as well.

Yes, the MRes is currently structured so that students who have not done Social Sciences, or have just not written a dissertation before, can get an idea of what it is like to do so before the actual big piece of work. It is also a great way to get to know your supervisor better, to see if you work well together, etc. You can have a different supervisor for each of these elements of the MRes (short project, long project and dissertation). However, there are currently focus groups being held regarding the structure of the programme, so there may be slight changes in the future.

In terms of the benefits of studying an MRes part-time, I don't think they are much different from why people choose part-time in general. For example, you might want to/need to work as well to support yourself or others, etc. You might want to gain some experience by doing research within a lab or research center and focus on that while also getting a degree. However, there might be some downsides to part-time study, e.g. you might not be eligible for some discounts and and benefits available to full-time students only.

Again, sorry for the late reply and let me know if there is more I can help with.

Danny,
    MRes Psychology

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.