If yes, what games?
    Possibly steam, not necessary

Touchscreen needed?
    Yes

Are there any specific ports you need?
    USB port

What devices do you have currently?
    Apple iPhone 6S, galaxy s6, 2012 samsung laptop
    Macbook Air, or any MacBook really. Super reliable, last years, fast and just super good at what they can do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Macbook Air, or any MacBook really. Super reliable, last years, fast and just super good at what they can do.
    Considering they want a Windows laptop, there's reasonable chance the CAD software is therefore Windows based and Steam/touchscreen were preferences a Macbook is a terrible suggestion. Not to mention it doesn't even sit within the budget.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mollyj_)
    Budget
    £650

Subject being studied
    Studying civil engineering, working on films

Software that will be used
    Microsoft Word, CAD, Fireworks

Screen size
    15.6 inches

Operating system preference
    Windows

Minimum amount of RAM
    3GB

Minimum battery life
    6 hours

Minimum storage requirement
    Over 60GB

Weight limit
    no limit

Used for playing games?
    Yes

If yes, what games?
    Possibly steam, not necessary

Touchscreen needed?
    Yes

Are there any specific ports you need?
    USB port

What devices do you have currently?
    Apple iPhone 6S, galaxy s6, 2012 samsung laptop
    I'd recommend something along these lines, it's a good all round laptop that's well within your budget and should cover all your needs. It's not a gaming laptop so Steam might be out but in all honesty if gaming were a priority then we'd need more info on what games and possibly a bump in budget. At which point I'd explain why a gaming laptop is a wasate of money.

If we ignore the gaming and touchscreen preferences, the laptop I linked covers everything you'll need at well under budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Considering they want a Windows laptop, there's reasonable chance the CAD software is therefore Windows based and Steam/touchscreen were preferences a Macbook is a terrible suggestion. Not to mention it doesn't even sit within the budget.
    They don't want, they said they would 'prefer' bit of a difference. MacBooks are more used than Windows laptops for designing. You can make any know touchscreen laptop a laptop. If you want one get a 2 in 1 or just a tablet. iPad pros are good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neonode-Air...74f8de5ac923c5

It does can pick a decent second hand one up for the price.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jdddd)
    They don't want, they said they would 'prefer' bit of a difference.
    The whole "Operating System Preference" is from the submission form. It's not something the user manually writes. Generally when someone writes that they want a Windows laptop, they want a Windows laptop. If they were indifferent they would have written that they were indifferent. Given that they specifically mentioned Windows, it's fair to say they aren't after a Macbook.

(Original post by jdddd)
    MacBooks are more used than Windows laptops for designing.
    I presume you can back this up with statistics? As I said before, they wanted the device to run CAD software and specified Windows. This likely means the software they want to use runs on Windows. It may also run on a Macbook but this was never specified. With the information we have, we know that they need a Windows laptop. A Macbook may or may not work for them

(Original post by jdddd)
    You can make any know touchscreen laptop a laptop. If you want one get a 2 in 1 or just a tablet. iPad pros are good.
    I presume you mean you can make any laptop into a touchscreen? Those touchscreen bars are trash considering you now have another thing to carry and have to manually attach it each time you want to use it.

iPads and other tablets are heading even further away from what the OP wants. Given that they're doing creative work, they decent performance from a laptop. They're much better off with the laptop I suggested or something similar over an iPad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    The whole "Operating System Preference" is from the submission form. It's not something the user manually writes. Generally when someone writes that they want a Windows laptop, they want a Windows laptop. If they were indifferent they would have written that they were indifferent. Given that they specifically mentioned Windows, it's fair to say they aren't after a Macbook.

I presume you can back this up with statistics? As I said before, they wanted the device to run CAD software and specified Windows. This likely means the software they want to use runs on Windows. It may also run on a Macbook but this was never specified. With the information we have, we know that they need a Windows laptop. A Macbook may or may not work for them

I presume you mean you can make any laptop into a touchscreen? Those touchscreen bars are trash considering you now have another thing to carry and have to manually attach it each time you want to use it.

iPads and other tablets are heading even further away from what the OP wants. Given that they're doing creative work, they decent performance from a laptop. They're much better off with the laptop I suggested or something similar over an iPad.
    Why have you taken offence to a comment that wasn't for you? I literally don't care for what you have to say. Stop wasting your time and do some productive pal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Why have you taken offence to a comment that wasn't for you? I literally don't care for what you have to say. Stop wasting your time and do some productive pal.
    I've not. I simply pointed out that recommending a Macbook to someone that wants a Windows laptop is not helpful. You were the one that tried to justify that wrong recommendation. As for the comment about wasting time, that could be applied to you just as much. If it bothers you, don't reply.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.