Turn on thread page Beta

Road to all 9s GCSE!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm currently in year 11 and I decided to make this thread to show updates on my progress and to motivate me. I was going to make a GYG earlier this year (around September) but decided not to (maybe next year). In this thread I will be discussing how much revision I'm doing and also giving tips as to how to grade 8s/9s.

What I'm aiming for
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maths - 9
    English Language - 8
    English Literature - 8
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Biology - 9
    French - 8
    Religious Studies - 9
    Computer Science - 9
    Business Studies - A*

What I've achieved so far (mocks etc)

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths - 9
    English Language - 7
    English Literature - 6
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 8
    Biology - 8
    French - 6
    Religious Studies - 6
    Computer Science - 9
    Business Studies - A

As you can see I'm close to hitting my target of all 9s however in certain subjects like French and RS I need to improve. I find English Literature and French quite difficult so would appreciate support for them.

I am doing these A-levels and in the future, I am not 100% sure but I think I'd like to do medicine.

Spoiler:
    Show

Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Maths

In the summer holidays I'm hoping to get some work experience but I don't have much extra curricular activities. It would be great if some of you could advise some stuff that maybe you do outside of school
    I will try and update this thread as much as possible saying what I've been doing and test results, etc.

ReputationRep:
    20/02/2018
    To do:
    Go over French writing assessment, and do corrections
    Computing exam questions (from workbook)
    Sign of Four revision
    Maths Vectors

Later I will update saying how much of this I've done and how long I've spent.
    Update:
    Did about 45 minutes of computing
    Went over french writing assessment - around 30 minutes
    Read Sign of four for a bit not really actual revision of it though.
    Did about 1 hour 15 mins today, not too good but hoping to increase this to around 2-3 hours over the next few days and weeks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by peeked)
    20/02/2018
    To do:
    Go over French writing assessment, and do corrections
    Computing exam questions (from workbook)
    Sign of Four revision
    Maths Vectors

Later I will update saying how much of this I've done and how long I've spent.
    Update:
    Did about 45 minutes of computing
    Went over french writing assessment - around 30 minutes
    Read Sign of four for a bit not really actual revision of it though.
    Did about 1 hour 15 mins today, not too good but hoping to increase this to around 2-3 hours over the next few days and weeks.
    Wow you’ve gotten a lot done!
    Congrats on your grades achieved...they’re exceptional
    Good luck, I look forward to seeing more from this gyg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    Wow you’ve gotten a lot done!
    Congrats on your grades achieved...they’re exceptional
    Good luck, I look forward to seeing more from this gyg
    Thank you very much, I also enjoyed looking at your GYG. Good luck!!
    I'll be posting on here later btw
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you very much, I also enjoyed looking at your GYG. Good luck!!
    I'll be posting on here later btw
    Thank you (ngl it took me a minute to realise what you were talking about lmao)
    I’ll be sure to check it out *clicks watch this thread*

ReputationRep:
    Update 22/02/2018:
    Did some revision today, vectors, b6 revision, computing questions and some french vocab.
    Got a maths test back (past paper that was from another exam board), got 57/60 which was pretty nice!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    well done on your mocks, they're amazing! what board are you for computer science, out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    well done on your mocks, they're amazing! what board are you for computer science, out of curiosity?
    OCR
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OCR
    oh, same- though it's probably my weakest subject out of all of them what do you use to revise for it?; i really need to revise the subject more but i just find the algorithms super tricky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    oh, same- though it's probably my weakest subject out of all of them what do you use to revise for it?; i really need to revise the subject more but i just find the algorithms super tricky!
    Do you have the CGP revision guides? I read them a lot during Christmas and made notes out of them everything and for paper one I got 73/80, 91%. So i’d recommend them also there is a exam practice workbook by CGP which is really useful.
    Here are the links
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Comput...6020/ref=nodl_

[url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1782946039/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8

Also search up and go thorough the specimen papers they are super useful and give you great exam practice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you have the CGP revision guides? I read them a lot during Christmas and made notes out of them everything and for paper one I got 73/80, 91%. So i’d recommend them also there is a exam practice workbook by CGP which is really useful.
    Here are the links
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Comput...6020/ref=nodl_

[url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1782946039/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8
    ah, i didn't know there was a workbook thank you so much, i'll be ordering it tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    How do you get from grade 4s to grade 9s

ReputationRep:
    how u revise english language and maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gent2324)
    how u revise english language and maths?
    For English I’d recommend:
    Mr Bruff, I have his English language book
    Also I’d recommend searching up questions and then just doing them
    Just search up the specimen papers and then do them, get lots of practice

For maths:
    I got a 9 last year in maths and it’s one of my easiest subjects.
    For maths you need PRACTICE, lots of it.
    I have the CGP exam practice workbook
    The cgp grade 9 targeted book
    Also I use math genie and do lots of questions on there
    And I do maths papers, it’s quite easy to find maths papers online, doesn’t matter about the exam board - maths is maths
    Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freshyeezys01)
    How do you get from grade 4s to grade 9s
    Which specific subjects?
    Generally speaking, you need to do lots of revision, like a few hours a day and you need to as many questions as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 24/02/2018:
    I made notes for computing - spent about 1.5 hours on this. Just made notes for the first part of paper 1. Hoping to have a full set of notes for both papers done by around Easter. Did some questions on B6, from my CGP workbook. I also did a maths past paper, I got 69/80 which is 86.25%, I would've like 90%+ so I feel I could've done better but it wasn't too bad, only around 4% off. It was quite a productive day actually
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Saturday 24/02/2018:
    I made notes for computing - spent about 1.5 hours on this. Just made notes for the first part of paper 1. Hoping to have a full set of notes for both papers done by around Easter. Did some questions on B6, from my CGP workbook. I also did a maths past paper, I got 69/80 which is 86.25%, I would've like 90%+ so I feel I could've done better but it wasn't too bad, only around 4% off. It was quite a productive day actually
    Wow you got a lot done
    That maths is awesome, do you know where you lost the marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    Wow you got a lot done
    That maths is awesome, do you know where you lost the marks?
    Thanks
    Yeah the thing is I think I got marks on all the questions and I lose marks on really silly mistakes I got all the big 5/6 mark questions right except the last one which was on circle tangents graphs or something. I forgot what the topics called but it’s like a circle on a graph with a tangent, I can send a pic if you wanted. But I think that overall I just need a little more exam practice so I don’t make silly mistakes. How’s your revision going?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks
    Yeah the thing is I think I got marks on all the questions and I lose marks on really silly mistakes I got all the big 5/6 mark questions right except the last one which was on circle tangents graphs or something. I forgot what the topics called but it’s like a circle on a graph with a tangent, I can send a pic if you wanted. But I think that overall I just need a little more exam practice so I don’t make silly mistakes. How’s your revision going?
    I get you my mistakes are similar like for not reading the question properly...i looked through my mock from earlier this month and one of the questions said “solve algebraically” and i did it by substitution?!
    Ooh yeah those tangent questions are interesting, I don’t find them too bad but I think that’s cause we’ve gone over them in add maths quite a lot I’d love to see the question though
    Revision hasn’t really been going this weekend; idk I just didn’t want to do anything yesterday but today I’m trying to get on with my mandarin revision

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been at school since Monday.
    On Monday I did 2 hours of revision, doing computing, English literature and biology.
    Tuesday I did a similar amount, doing some maths as well.
    Wednesday I did function for maths and I did a maths past paper, I got 67/80 = 83.75%, I would like to get around 70+
    On Thursday I had quite a productive day and revised P1, sine/cosine rules and Ozymandias (English Literature). I did around 4 hours.
    Today I've just been revising p1 and b6 and later on hope to do some maths and english.
    So it's been a pretty good few days off thanks to the snow and I think that I've been quite productive although I'd still like to get a lot more done.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.