Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anaesthetics/ICM higher training watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how impossible higher training (ST3+) in anaesthetics and intensive care is to get into? I’ve just got into core training and was looking at the higher training self assessment score out of interest, does one need research and publications and masters degrees and extra post grad exams and so on to get a post?? Just scared myself into thinking I could potentially not be able to get a training post after core unless I spend every minute of the next two years doing application related stuff! Would be great to hear from some trainees :-)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anna1988)
    Just wondering how impossible higher training (ST3+) in anaesthetics and intensive care is to get into? I’ve just got into core training and was looking at the higher training self assessment score out of interest, does one need research and publications and masters degrees and extra post grad exams and so on to get a post?? Just scared myself into thinking I could potentially not be able to get a training post after core unless I spend every minute of the next two years doing application related stuff! Would be great to hear from some trainees :-)
    Third page of https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk...2017%20ST3.pdf

It says:
    Anaesthetics ST3
    Application received - 495
    Posts available - 398
    Competition ratio - 1.24

Intensive Care Medicine ST3
    Application received - 231
    Posts available - 163
    Competition ratio - 1.42

So bottom line - not very competitive unless you want London. Relax!

ReputationRep:
    Not impossible at all. As ecolier says, the ratios aren't that high - they set CT places with the number of ST places in mind to try to avoid a bottleneck. London was actually undersubscribed the year I applied (2014) for ST3!

If you have any non-anaesthetic postgrad exams it gets you a few points but I wouldn't start trying them now if you haven't already achieved it. Getting the Primary FRCA safely is by far the biggest stumbling block. Obviously there will be opportunities to get involved in QIPs and teaching during your jobs, plus possibly research. You might want to consider doing some of the relevant courses like ATLS, APLS etc, which is a better use of your money than doing other exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Not impossible at all. As ecolier says, the ratios aren't that high - they set CT places with the number of ST places in mind to try to avoid a bottleneck. London was actually undersubscribed the year I applied (2014) for ST3!

If you have any non-anaesthetic postgrad exams it gets you a few points but I wouldn't start trying them now if you haven't already achieved it. Getting the Primary FRCA safely is by far the biggest stumbling block. Obviously there will be opportunities to get involved in QIPs and teaching during your jobs, plus possibly research. You might want to consider doing some of the relevant courses like ATLS, APLS etc, which is a better use of your money than doing other exams!
    Thank you, that’s really useful. Definitely planning on doing some of those courses. How necessary would research and publications be in your opinion? I guess I want to allow some family/other stuff time and not have to do things constantly for application purposes.
    Is it worth looking at a MSc or MRes degree? Also I’m assuming trying to do a part time degree while doing core training and studying for FRCA would be a bit insane!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that’s really useful. Definitely planning on doing some of those courses. How necessary would research and publications be in your opinion? I guess I want to allow some family/other stuff time and not have to do things constantly for application purposes.
    Is it worth looking at a MSc or MRes degree? Also I’m assuming trying to do a part time degree while doing core training and studying for FRCA would be a bit insane!
    I'm sure people have done it, but it would be very very hard!

The criteria have changed since I applied, but I got into Oxford (one of the most competitive deaneries) with no publications and only a small amount of research (re. other bits of the application, just for comparison, I have a 2:1 intercalated degree, got a prize but no distinction at med school and had a poster presented at an international meeting). Obviously take any opportunities you come across though!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.