Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to the TSR forum, and I joined purely to recieve advice and help from everyone who can relate to my experiences and may be undergoing the same cirriculum as I am.

I'm a worried GCSE student, with my last set of Mocks in a week, and 2018 Official exams in less than 3 months. My subjects are:

English Literature (A Christmas Carol, Power & Conflict Poetry Cluster, An Inspector Calls & Macbeth) [AQA]
    English Language [AQA]
    Mathematics [Edexcel]
    Combined Science: Trilogy [AQA]
    Religious Studies (Christianity + Sikhism) [Edexcel]
    History (Crime & Punishment 1000AD - Present + Whitechapel, Elizabethan England, The American West and Weimar & Nazi Germany.) [Edexcel]
    Business Studies [AQA]
    Product Design [AQA]
    Spanish [AQA]

Predicted Grades are:

English Language: 9
    English Literature: 9
    Mathematics: 8
    Biology: 7
    Chemistry: 7
    Physics: 7
    Christianity: 7
    Sikhism: 7
    Product Design: A/A*
    Business Studies: A/A*
    History: 7

The problem is... I'm unfortunately nowhere near any of these grades, and it's got to a point, where, because i've been bullied and neglected pretty much all my Secondary Education life, and because of the lack of consistent teachers (There have been too many teachers leaving, and I haven't yet had a committed teacher in most subjects) I am completely falling behind by at least 2 grades by this point. I come from a school, where the majority of my year are doing foundation for the categorized GCSEs, and that disruption is far worse than 99% of schools across the Borough, if not the country. I'm in a state of depression, which people are mocking, and because of how far behind I am, I literally have no time to properly revise.. no friends.. no full discipline for the mindset.. my parents and family aren't understanding my situation.. My Psychiatrist is barely seeing me anymore, and no solutions are actually being found from my own input... I honestly don't know what to do, which is why I joined TSR to search for advice and, if i'm lucky, help. My day to day life, and GCSE education, is honestly far worse than descripted. If there is any help possible, in terms of resources, any courses on offer near to Buckinghamshire, Berkshire or London, any advice would help me. I know that my next step to A-Levels and, hopefully, University will be even harder, but I still require so much help for GCSE. I really hope that this can be acknowledged and read, and I hope that I can collabrate with GCSE students and Post, even Pre-GCSE students who are going through the same things as me.

Revision Tips, Day-To-Day tips, Curriculum Help, Method tips, Exam Technique, anything will benefit me, as a student to the World Wide Web.

Thank you so much for reading, as even that means a whole lot to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itendtoworryalot)
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to the TSR forum, and I joined purely to recieve advice and help from everyone who can relate to my experiences and may be undergoing the same cirriculum as I am.

I'm a worried GCSE student, with my last set of Mocks in a week, and 2018 Official exams in less than 3 months. My subjects are:

English Literature (A Christmas Carol, Power & Conflict Poetry Cluster, An Inspector Calls & Macbeth) [AQA]
    English Language [AQA]
    Mathematics [Edexcel]
    History (Crime & Punishment 1000AD - Present + Whitechapel, Elizabethan England, The American West and Weimar & Nazi Germany.) [Edexcel]
    Business Studies [AQA]
    Product Design [AQA]
    Spanish [AQA]

Predicted Grades are:

The problem is... I'm unfortunately nowhere near any of these grades, and it's got to a point, where, because i've been bullied and neglected pretty much all my Secondary Education life, and because of the lack of consistent teachers (There have been too many teachers leaving, and I haven't yet had a committed teacher in most subjects) I am completely falling behind by at least 2 grades by this point. I come from a school, where the majority of my year are doing foundation for the categorized GCSEs, and that disruption is far worse than 99% of schools across the Borough, if not the country. I'm in a state of depression, which people are mocking, and because of how far behind I am, I literally have no time to properly revise.. no friends.. no full discipline for the mindset.. my parents and family aren't understanding my situation.. My Psychiatrist is barely seeing me anymore, and no solutions are actually being found from my own input... I honestly don't know what to do, which is why I joined TSR to search for advice and, if i'm lucky, help. My day to day life, and GCSE education, is honestly far worse than descripted. If there is any help possible, in terms of resources, any courses on offer near to Buckinghamshire, Berkshire or London, any advice would help me. I know that my next step to A-Levels and, hopefully, University will be even harder, but I still require so much help for GCSE. I really hope that this can be acknowledged and read, and I hope that I can collabrate with GCSE students and Post, even Pre-GCSE students who are going through the same things as me.

Revision Tips, Day-To-Day tips, Curriculum Help, Method tips, Exam Technique, anything will benefit me, as a student to the World Wide Web.

Whats your mock grades (or real grades)

ReputationRep:
    What I found that worked really well for revision for triple science was watching YouTube videos on the the different papers, I would watch though them once just listening and then take a break or come back the next day and watch it again and make notes. This helped me in physics as in the mocks I got a C and in my GCSEs I got a A. Posters and mind maps worked for me as well and to help me remember the various quotes for English I stuck different coloured post it notes on my wall with all the quotes on it. I hope this helps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, im in year 10 and am also stressed about GCSEs even though they are in over a year. I’ve struggled with mental health for over 2 years now. I’ve been isolated and alone at school and it got to the point where I didn’t eat lunch because I isolated myself so much. I feel so much pressure to do well and get straight 8/9s. The thing that actually really helped me feel a bit happier and enthusiastic was I found a career that I really want to do. I was in hospital and I had never considered medicine before but once I saw what it was really like I knew it was something that I would love to do. I think this helped me because not only did I have a goal, but for the first time I knew what I wanted to do, which I think got rid of some of he insecurities. I’m guessing you are in year 11 as some of your targets are still in the old grading? Please start revising and even if it’s just an hour a day you will be so so grateful in the future. I know it feels like a waste of time and you just can’t think straight but there are some people who fail basically all their GCSEs (not in anyway saying you are!) and look back on their life and wish they had put effort in.
    Remember no one knows what the grade boundaries are!
    I hope you get some results you are happy with x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itendtoworryalot)
    Hey everyone,

English Language [AQA]
    Mathematics [Edexcel]
    Business Studies [AQA]
    Product Design [AQA]
    Spanish [AQA]

Predicted Grades are:

Hi,
    A really useful revision technique for English Literature which i used for my gcse's was mindmaps, i did them for characters, themes and context with relevant key quotes and terminology analysis on them, i understand that you may not have the time to do that, so maybe only do it for the main key characters, or the characters that you don't have much to say about off the top of your head. Also for maths our school gave us 'mathsbuster' which i used so much, but just practice and practice for maths, also using quizlet might help you learn all the maths formulas - i used someone's set i found on there. I really hope this helps you, and good luck for your exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GcseStudent9)
    Whats your mock grades (or real grades)
    Hi there,

Thank you for reading, as I honestly didn't think anybody would, so it means a huge deal to me.

My Mocks (November 2017) results were:

*English Lit: 8-
    *English Lan: 8
    Mathematics: 6-
    **Combined Science: 5-
    **History: 5-
    Christianity: 6-
    Sikhism: 5
    *Spanish: 6+
    Business Studies: A2
    Product Design: A3

* - Not sure about marking, as I think it was too optimistic. I usually tend to get lower marks, for the same sort of work I produce.

** - Teachers are new to the school, and haven't had proper examination marking. I'm not sure about these grades either, as I got higher marks than the grade I got, referring to the mark scheme.

( Science: I got Grade 6 in first paper, then Grade 7 on the other
    History: I got Grade 6 on that paper)

Thank you, once again.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.