The Student Room Group

Do I need to pick Higher English?

Hello, I have my S5 option form to hand in soon. English of my weakest subjects as I got 59% or a C in the prelim. I don't enjoy it and I find writing essays a chore as I am more of a STEM type person. Is it recommended for me to pick Higher English? Is it hard to get into uni/employment without higher English? Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
University doesn't need English. It works like this - Choose subjects related to what you want to do in university (Look up what you want to do and the subjects required to get accepted). No need for English unless you don't live in the UK and want to study in the UK, therefore you'll need to pass the language test.
Reply 2
I never took Higher English and received offers for Maths and Physics and Edinburgh and Strathclyde. Honestly you're best just to check the entry requirements for what you want to apply for and check whats needed. If it's not listed then you're safe not to take it.
It might be an idea to look at any courses you're thinking about doing (if you know) and see if they require it.

Schools don't like people not taking it, but it's up to you really and totally dependent on what you want to do with the qualifications. Most Unis only require Nat 5s in Maths and English.
Reading this has kinda changed my views on this area, in my school, we have no choice - taking Higher English is compulsory. Strange thing is that we don't need to take Higher Maths, but Higher English is required. So as the others have said, I'd look towards to requirements for courses etc that you aim to apply on and judge by referring to those :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by WestDragon
Reading this has kinda changed my views on this area, in my school, we have no choice - taking Higher English is compulsory. Strange thing is that we don't need to take Higher Maths, but Higher English is required. So as the others have said, I'd look towards to requirements for courses etc that you aim to apply on and judge by referring to those :biggrin:

Thats mad. Im awful at english and would have certainly not got an A in it. Can't imagine being forced to take it, schools are weird.

Quick Reply

Latest