Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Welcome to my mad mind

So, this is my journey of getting my ass to university and that means you're going to need some background info...
      • July 2015 - finished GCSE's with 3 A's and 7 B's, taking my exams 2 months after waking up from a diabetic coma (at diagnosis). Chose Sociology, Psychology, English Lit and Biology as my AS levels, started in Sept 2015
      • November 2015 - major depressive episode, took 3 weeks out of college and wasn't going to go back unless they allowed me to drop Psychology, and I went back in December. Really enjoyed the last few months of AS year.
      • August 2016 - AS results of ACD (sociology, English literature and biology respectively) and slipped back into a depressive episode because I worked ridiculously hard, destroyed my mental health in the process and made myself seriously ill, but still didn't get the grades I was nor hoping for or predicted (depressive episodes are a running theme js)
      • Sept 2016, started A2, the whole of which i can only describe as a blur. I don't remember the majority of the year
      • I didn't apply for university because i wanted a gap year to travel, focus on my diabetes control and sort out my mental health
      • August 2017 - A-Level results day and cried for hours on end, came out with BDD (sociology, English lit and biology respectively), knew I would never be able to get accepted into a university with those grades, dreams of travel and exploration and a gap year were destroyed, ended up getting into Year 14 at the same college, doing year 1 and 2 of a Health and Social Care National Extended Certificate in one year and retaking Biology.

And here I am. It is February 2018. I have firmed BCU for Child Nursing and insured SHU for the same course. Both are conditional offers.
    Conditions of offers:
    1. Birmingham City - 80 UCAS tariff points from Biology and Health, which working it out means I need to get a distinction in Health and a C in Biology
    2. Sheffield Hallam - 112 UCAS tariff points overall. With my B in Sociology and D in Biology, this adds up to 64 points. This leaves 48 points from Health and Social Care, which requires a Distinction.

So very complicated I know, but as I've come to understand it, to get into university, I need a distinction in Health. No matter what. However, I have a little bit of le-way with Biology, if I get a C when I retake it in June, I can go to BCU, and if I don't quite manage that, I get into SHU.
    Basically, I need to work extremely super duper hard over the next 3 months. And it's going to be difficult. The aim is to update on a weekly basis, probably on a Sunday, just updating on how my coursework is coming along, and eventually (probably around mid-March) how I'm tackling revision of Biology. Hopefully, this gives me the motivation to get through these next few months without another depressive episode, and get myself to university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IonaGrace17)

Welcome to my mad mind

So, this is my journey of getting my ass to university and that means you're going to need some background info...
    [list][list][*]July 2015 - finished GCSE's with 3 A's and 7 B's, taking my exams 2 months after waking up from a diabetic coma (at diagnosis). Chose Sociology, Psychology, English Lit and Biology as my AS levels, started in Sept 2015 ....
    Good luck - I look forward to reading your progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Good luck - I look forward to reading your progress.
    Thank you, gobsmacked anyone even read this!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.