Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need help with the very last question on this please: 4cii

"The cone experiences a mean damping force of 0.25N. Calculate the average power
    needed to be supplied to the cone to keep it oscillating with a constant amplitude."

I've attached the rest of the question in case you need context.

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s%202%20QP.pdf

What I did was work out energy from part i. I then worked out time by doing 1/2400 = 4.167*10^-4 secs. So P = e/t and so I subbed in the two values I had.

I don't understand why the markscheme did 1/4 of a cycle??

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...A-level/Topic-
    Qs/OCR-A/5-Newtonian-World-and-Astrophysics/5.3-Oscillations/Set-M/Oscillations%202%20MS.pdf

ReputationRep:
    They've taken quarter of a cycle because that's what a displacement equal to the amplitude is, so they've taken T/4 to match.

Think of your graph, to go from 0 to max displacement (or the reverse) is quarter of a full wave / full cycle.

So they've used P = Work/time = (force x distance) / time
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MrToodles4)
    I need help with the very last question on this please: 4cii

"The cone experiences a mean damping force of 0.25N. Calculate the average power
    needed to be supplied to the cone to keep it oscillating with a constant amplitude."

I've attached the rest of the question in case you need context.

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s%202%20QP.pdf

What I did was work out energy from part i. I then worked out time by doing 1/2400 = 4.167*10^-4 secs. So P = e/t and so I subbed in the two values I had.

I don't understand why the markscheme did 1/4 of a cycle??

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...A-level/Topic-
    Qs/OCR-A/5-Newtonian-World-and-Astrophysics/5.3-Oscillations/Set-M/Oscillations%202%20MS.pdf

You may want to show how you work out the energy, as it may or may not be correct depending on how you work it out.

… I don't understand why the markscheme did 1/4 of a cycle?? …

If the cone undergoes sinusoidal oscillation and starts from x = 0 at t = 0, it would move to x = A at t = ¼T. We can only deduce the exact distance moved by the cone every ¼ of the cycle or period.

But you don’t need really need to use ¼ of the cycle. If you use one period, then you need to work out the distance moves in one period – which is 4A.

Power =  \dfrac{{{F}_{d}}\times 4A}{T}=\dfrac{{{F}_{d}}\times A}{\frac{T}{4}}
    where Fd is mean damping force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)
    They've taken quarter of a cycle because that's what a displacement equal to the amplitude is, so they've taken T/4 to match.

Think of your graph, to go from 0 to max displacement (or the reverse) is quarter of a full wave / full cycle.

So they've used P = Work/time = (force x distance) / time
    Thank you so much really appreciate this I would rep if I could

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Eimmanuel;76223236]You may want to show how you work out the energy, as it may or may not be correct depending on how you work it out.

If the cone undergoes sinusoidal oscillation and starts from x = 0 at t = 0, it would move to x = A at t = ¼T. We can only deduce the exact distance moved by the cone every ¼ of the cycle or period.

Why is this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Why is this?

Maybe I should rewrite statement as

We can only deduce the exact distance moved by the cone every ¼ of the cycle or period without going through the usage of trigonometric ratio.

In SHM, you should know that if the particle starts from x = 0 at t = 0, the particle will reach x = +A or −A at t = ¼T. If you want to know where the particle is at any time, you need to know how the particle moves. This means that you need to know trigonometric ratio that is used to describe the motion of the particle.

However, regardless of the trigonometric ratio, if the initial condition is x = 0 at t = 0, then we can know when the particle reaches the extreme position.

at t = ¼T, particle will reach x = +A or −A

at t = ½T, particle will reach x = 0.

at t = ¾T, particle will reach x = −A or +A

at t = T, particle will reach x = 0

Hope it makes sense.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 22, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.