cambbe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to do maths at Cambridge.
I'm in AS year taking double maths and physics and English Lit (did well at GCSE), and I'm attending super-curricular maths classes and going out of my way to view maths videos and podcasts, reading any maths-y books my library has got. I love the subject, and do well in it, I'm so far predicted an A (we don't predict A*s). Physics i'm predicted an A but working at a D, but this holiday i am bringing it up to at least a C. English is a solid A. I'm starting an EPQ in maths too to get me as much super-curricular as possible.
Do you think that if i work hard at Physics to get at least an A, get A*s in the maths, that I can get in?
I got 8 A*s & 2 As at GCSE so i have a good track record at least, as they look at that too.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cambbe)
I want to do maths at Cambridge.
I'm in AS year taking double maths and physics and English Lit (did well at GCSE), and I'm attending super-curricular maths classes and going out of my way to view maths videos and podcasts, reading any maths-y books my library has got. I love the subject, and do well in it, I'm so far predicted an A (we don't predict A*s). Physics i'm predicted an A but working at a D, but this holiday i am bringing it up to at least a C. English is a solid A. I'm starting an EPQ in maths too to get me as much super-curricular as possible.
Do you think that if i work hard at Physics to get at least an A, get A*s in the maths, that I can get in?
I got 8 A*s & 2 As at GCSE so i have a good track record at least, as they look at that too.
You can be competitive, yes. You will really need to be predicted A*A*A.

You are likely to be called for interview (75-80% are shortlisted) and then if all goes well, reasonably likely to get a STEP offer. Achieving the offer is the tricky part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I doubt you really need to do much super curricular stuff for maths (although it is of course still useful to have), but I'd concentrate on smashing the interview maths questions and then the STEP (both down the road obviously). Unis near me offer yr12 STEP classes that help you work on STEP related problems, might be worth checking with your school if anything like that exists.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads