Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to do maths at Cambridge.
    I'm in AS year taking double maths and physics and English Lit (did well at GCSE), and I'm attending super-curricular maths classes and going out of my way to view maths videos and podcasts, reading any maths-y books my library has got. I love the subject, and do well in it, I'm so far predicted an A (we don't predict A*s). Physics i'm predicted an A but working at a D, but this holiday i am bringing it up to at least a C. English is a solid A. I'm starting an EPQ in maths too to get me as much super-curricular as possible.
    Do you think that if i work hard at Physics to get at least an A, get A*s in the maths, that I can get in?
    I got 8 A*s & 2 As at GCSE so i have a good track record at least, as they look at that too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by cambbe)
    I want to do maths at Cambridge.
    I'm in AS year taking double maths and physics and English Lit (did well at GCSE), and I'm attending super-curricular maths classes and going out of my way to view maths videos and podcasts, reading any maths-y books my library has got. I love the subject, and do well in it, I'm so far predicted an A (we don't predict A*s). Physics i'm predicted an A but working at a D, but this holiday i am bringing it up to at least a C. English is a solid A. I'm starting an EPQ in maths too to get me as much super-curricular as possible.
    Do you think that if i work hard at Physics to get at least an A, get A*s in the maths, that I can get in?
    I got 8 A*s & 2 As at GCSE so i have a good track record at least, as they look at that too.
    You can be competitive, yes. You will really need to be predicted A*A*A.

You are likely to be called for interview (75-80% are shortlisted) and then if all goes well, reasonably likely to get a STEP offer. Achieving the offer is the tricky part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you really need to do much super curricular stuff for maths (although it is of course still useful to have), but I'd concentrate on smashing the interview maths questions and then the STEP (both down the road obviously). Unis near me offer yr12 STEP classes that help you work on STEP related problems, might be worth checking with your school if anything like that exists.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.