Turn on thread page Beta

Hey there,

I recently transferred into a UK uni about four weeks ago (into second year) and have yet to make any local friends.

There are three other people who transferred with me and I'm very good friends with them, but I don't want to be one of those international students who exclusively interacts with other internationals out of comfort. I'd like to make local friends.

Thing is I've come during such an awkward time of the year (Jan) where everyone already knows each other and has their groups set. I have a tendency to make very good friends when I've spent a couple of months somewhere, so while I'm not particularly worried, I'm just wondering what the hold up is? I find people here much easier to converse with than from my previous uni.

I haven't joined any societies yet, so I plan on doing that. People in my course are friendly and I've gone out for dinner with a couple, but I just don't feel like I've forged a proper friendship with anyone. I know zero people in my hall, and hence eat in the dining hall alone (not that it bothers me too much, but it would be nice eating with people).

Right now, university in the UK isn't exactly the liberating social experience I expected so far. Dating scene seems pretty dry too.

Is there anything I could do to expedite the process?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey there,

I recently transferred into a UK uni about four weeks ago (into second year) and have yet to make any local friends.

There are three other people who transferred with me and I'm very good friends with them, but I don't want to be one of those international students who exclusively interacts with other internationals out of comfort. I'd like to make local friends.

Thing is I've come during such an awkward time of the year (Jan) where everyone already knows each other and has their groups set. I have a tendency to make very good friends when I've spent a couple of months somewhere, so while I'm not particularly worried, I'm just wondering what the hold up is? I find people here much easier to converse with than from my previous uni.

I haven't joined any societies yet, so I plan on doing that. People in my course are friendly and I've gone out for dinner with a couple, but I just don't feel like I've forged a proper friendship with anyone. I know zero people in my hall, and hence eat in the dining hall alone (not that it bothers me too much, but it would be nice eating with people).

Right now, university in the UK isn't exactly the liberating social experience I expected so far. Dating scene seems pretty dry too.

Is there anything I could do to expedite the process?
    My only advice is stop putting so much pressure on yourself and the situation and thinking about it. It will happen with time. Put yourself out there which you are already doing and things will fall into place.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.