Turn on thread page Beta

All Chinese students who speak Chinese with each other in a German state school will be warned and under serious circumstances be expelled.

In this specific case, Chinese students are not allowed to speak Chinese during lunchtime when other German students are present. Besides lunchtime, Chinese is not allowed during breaks either.

All Chinese can speak German. The fluency May vary from individual to individual, but all Chinese students have achieved B2-level certificate.

Can it be considered as racism? And why?

All answers would be appreciated. Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    That does sound a bit wrong.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I wouldn't say it's full on racism, but I do agree that it is wrong to do.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely discrimination if it's only the chinese students who aren't allowed to speak their own language.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, let's consider is a language a matter of race? If we're discussing differences between human languages because I have no doubt that many animals have languages of their own.
    But humans are all biologically able to speak any other human language, if only they have learned it. So it's not a matter of race, but culture, then it's not racism. We would need to find another name for it

I guess the idea behind this law, is to force pupils of different nations, to use the official language of the country, to make sure they will be compatible to the rest of society.
    Of course, it does not guarantee a success, but that's the least they can do, to make sure they speak in a language that everybody in the country can understand.

Or consider traditions perhaps. In my country of origin, we believe it's rude to speak a language that cannot be understood by other people in the company.
    For this reason, when I meet other Poles and eg. Chinese same time, I speak English, so everyone can understand what I say, even If I speak specifically an information dedicated to the Polish because it would be impolite to conceal information from others or taking away a chance to share the conversation from them.

ReputationRep:
    Its probably to help with integration and ease social awkwardness, i.e. people are naturally suspicious when people around them start speaking a language they don't understand, I doubt there's any racist agenda behind it

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.