Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should 'upskirting' be classed as an offence? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'd really appreciate it if you would participate in my 6 question survey regarding the phenomena of upskirting. It will become an article for my Journalism portfolio Thank you!
    Upskirting: where someone takes pictures up a girls skirt unbeknownst to her.
    1) Did you know what upskirting was before this survey?
    2) What is your name and age?
    3) In your opinion, should this be an offence and why?
    4) Have you experienced upskirting and if so can you elaborate on how this made you feel?
    5) What action do you wish to be taken on this?
    6) (If male) how do you feel about this?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need someone's name?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by hollyghammond)
    Hey guys I'd really appreciate it if you would participate in my 6 question survey regarding the phenomena of upskirting. It will become an article for my Journalism portfolio Thank you!
    yes
    Napp, 24
    Nope because it seems to me to be covered under other legislation - with that being said i have no particular issue with it becoming a crime in its own right
    4) Have you experienced upskirting and if so can you elaborate on how this made you feel?
    I dont exactly wear skirts...
    Have the perp paraded naked through the city with everybody shouting shame.
    It's a shameful act by a bunch of perverts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Why do you need someone's name?
    I only need to reference who said it (can literally just be first name), but you can answer anonymously if you wish

ReputationRep:
    Does this question really have to be asked?

of course it should be an offence- in the sense that if it happens, the person should be punished. As for whether up skirting needs its own law, really the laws we already have should cover it but if they're ineffective then the answer is yes.. obviously

Being male won't change how any sane person feels about an explicit, illegal, and perverted act; I should think being a perpetrator of the crime itself would yield different replies, however.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Anonymous. 17
    Yes, I'm surprised it's not an offence tbh. You're harassing a woman and nobody should ever feel intimidated by what they wear or how short their skirt is.
    No, Male.
    Sentencing to 3 Years in prison + 2 years with a parole officer + Registered as a Sex offender for 30 Years.
    Surprised the matter hasn't been made illegal, I'm surprised that with the current events of the #metoo the government should be supporting victims, who have been harassed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Have the perp paraded naked through the city with everybody shouting shame.
    I see what you did there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Nope because it seems to me to be covered under other legislation - with that being said i have no particular issue with it becoming a crime in its own right
    The tricky business is that it is not covered neatly by current statutory provisions. The offence of voyeurism only refers to taking pics/vids of a private act for sexual gratification; wearing a skirt is not a private act. Indecent images of children; well, not everyone who is a victim is a child and not all upskirting images will be deemed indecent. Lastly it might be caught under outraging public decency; there are some unusual "public" elements to this, i.e. the act must offend the the public present rather than in the abstract. If no one is around, the person is not a child, then it would be caught under no offence. Further, if upskirting of children is not automatically indecent, it does not seem that upskirting of adults would automatically be considered "lewd" to a qualifying extent.

We would all be much better off if we had an automatic understanding of what constitutes an offence. It will increase the reporting of incidents and deter this sort of behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    1) No
    2)Moony (not my real name, don't worry, my parents aren't cruel)
    3)Yes it is a violation of privacy and quite frankly perverted
    4)No
    5) Make it an offence, maybe like a fine or something
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be an offence, may be include it in the category of indecent assault.

1)no
    2)16
    3)yes definitely
    4)no
    5)idk
    6)I’m female
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.