Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

So I'm a year 12 student, currently taking French, Spanish and History OR Psychology. School is giving me a choice between the 2nd two, and I need to know which one top US Unis will view more highly. I would like to study Law after doing whatever subject will be most useful at an undergraduate level.

Also, I have just started revising for the SAT, is it worth me doing individual subject tests too? I am a native French speaker if that helps.

My current predicted A Levels are A*,A,B. Are those good enough? What extra curriculars are seen as most useful?

I just have A LOT of questions and none of my teachers can answer anything.

Basically to summarise: what subjects will be most impressive, are my grades good enough, and how can I make my application as strong as possible?

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet is to ask the universities that you want to apply for what they expect. They're the ones who make the decision after all.

ReputationRep:
    History is a facilitating subject and highly respected by unis, but I'd take the one you enjoy most and are best at. There's no use taking history, hating it and getting a D when you could've taken psychology, loved it and got an A

ReputationRep:
    Choose whichever subject you prefer (and are best at!), I doubt US unis will differentiate between the two. Just pick the one you prefer and are good at.

For subject tests, have a look at what the universities you are going to apply to say about them. Some require them, some recommend them, whilst some say they are optional. The usual amount of subject tests you take are two. I took two (Math 2 and Literature) but didn't send them off because I didn't do so well in them, but the uni I applied to said they were optional.

Your predicted grades are good, however the B would have to be made up for elsewhere, in extracurriculars and honours or SATs. The best extracurriculars are ones that are leadership positions and ones you are passionate about. This could be setting up a club or being head boy/girl, or being in the Youth Parliament, etc, or it could be a sport you really enjoy or a musical instrument.

If you have any questions on applying feel free to send me a message!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaliaQ)
    Hi!

So I'm a year 12 student, currently taking French, Spanish and History OR Psychology. School is giving me a choice between the 2nd two, and I need to know which one top US Unis will view more highly. I would like to study Law after doing whatever subject will be most useful at an undergraduate level.

Also, I have just started revising for the SAT, is it worth me doing individual subject tests too? I am a native French speaker if that helps.

My current predicted A Levels are A*,A,B. Are those good enough? What extra curriculars are seen as most useful?

I just have A LOT of questions and none of my teachers can answer anything.

Basically to summarise: what subjects will be most impressive, are my grades good enough, and how can I make my application as strong as possible?
    First of all, as you already know, law is a postgraduate degree in the US. Second of all, it doesn't matter which subjects you take, as long as you do well on the SAT exams and get good A-level results. US colleges tend to focus more on the all-rounded individual: grades matter, but it isn't the be-all and end-all. They also look at your extra-curricular activities, as well as your breadth of knowledge in multidisciplinary areas. I would worry less about the subjects and focus more on your SAT results. Good luck with everything!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.