Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been doing research on universities for quite a while now but I can't find anything useful. I'm looking at the Ivy League Schools in particular. I currently live in Britain but dreaming of going to university in America. I'm also looking to stay in Britain for sixth form instead of college. I'm wondering if the school systems in America are the same? The Ivy League Schools are universities right? I'm also looking at fees. Is there anyway I can get a free visa or scholarship to an Ivy League School? How would I be able to live in America to study for as cheap as possible while I gain my degree? I am looking for science degrees particularly the highest level degrees, I'm not sure which degree or subject to be certain (probably chemistry) because I'm a bit dazzled by the amount of information. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BalpreetU)
    Hi, I've been doing research on universities for quite a while now but I can't find anything useful. I'm looking at the Ivy League Schools in particular. I currently live in Britain but dreaming of going to university in America. I'm also looking to stay in Britain for sixth form instead of college. I'm wondering if the school systems in America are the same? The Ivy League Schools are universities right? I'm also looking at fees. Is there anyway I can get a free visa or scholarship to an Ivy League School? How would I be able to live in America to study for as cheap as possible while I gain my degree? I am looking for science degrees particularly the highest level degrees, I'm not sure which degree or subject to be certain (probably chemistry) because I'm a bit dazzled by the amount of information. Thanks!
    First Q would be why you dream of studying in America? If you still don't know so much information, perhaps your dream is misguided and based on fantasy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Seems like you need to do some more research yourself before committing to the States. If you're aiming for Ivy League, why not consider Oxbridge also?

Just going to give this a bump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Seems like you need to do some more research yourself before committing to the States. If you're aiming for Ivy League, why not consider Oxbridge also?

Just going to give this a bump.
    Thank you for your advice. I'm going to continue researching Ivy League and Oxbridge. However, I need to bear in mind about fees. Can I get a student loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StayWoke)
    First Q would be why you dream of studying in America? If you still don't know so much information, perhaps your dream is misguided and based on fantasy.
    To be honest, I could write you a whole essay. Mainly, because of the great universities there, which I am aiming for but I am keeping in mind the big possibility that I won't get in. America, also in general, has been a lifelong dream and I think to go to study there would be a great opportunity for me personally, as at the moment I am quite an introvert. The big decision for me is that if it's actually worth it. I'm wondering about student loans because that will be the best bet I could get there money wise. Thank you!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Thank you for your advice. I'm going to continue researching Ivy League and Oxbridge. However, I need to bear in mind about fees. Can I get a student loan?
    I'm not an expert when it comes to international study/fees. Have you tried posting in the International subforum?

I know you can't get a loan with the Student Loans Company for international study, but there should be scholarships available for international students available if you look for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I'm not an expert when it comes to international study/fees. Have you tried posting in the International subforum?

I know you can't get a loan with the Student Loans Company for international study, but there should be scholarships available for international students available if you look for them.
    Thank you very much!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.