Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Biochemistry for one year before withdrawing from the course. I then studied BSc Biomedicine (3 years) at a different university. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all four years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning 2018/19.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible, from years 1-4 of the Medicine degree, for the full maintenance loan of £8700 as a mature student living outside of London?

Many thanks,

Jasmine
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jkiyu)
    Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Biochemistry for one year before withdrawing from the course. I then studied BSc Biomedicine (3 years) at a different university. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all four years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning 2018/19.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible, from years 1-4 of the Medicine degree, for the full maintenance loan of £8700 as a mature student living outside of London?

Many thanks,

Jasmine
    Hi Jasmine,

As you would be studying undergraduate Medicine as a second degree you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan for years 1-4 .

The maximum Means Tested Maintenance Loan amount for full year rate in 2018/19 is £6236.00 for living elsewhere .

The amount of £8702.00 is the London rate of Maintenance Loan . If you are living and studying in London.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise,

Thank you for your reply.

I read on a parliament UK document that the maximum maintanence loan for new full time undergraduates who started their course after 1 August 2016 is £8700 (students living away from home and outside of London).

The same document says that full time undergrads who started their course before 1 August 2016 will receive a maximum £6236 for living outside of London.

You advised me that I would be eligible for the amount of £6236 even though I am starting the Medicine course next academic year 2018/19 (ie after August 2016). Is £6236 the Maximum Maintanence loan I can receive because I had already started a previous degree before August 2016 and therefore am stuck at these rates?

Thank you,

Jasmine

(Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi Jasmine,

As you would be studying undergraduate Medicine as a second degree you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan for years 1-4 .

The maximum Means Tested Maintenance Loan amount for full year rate in 2018/19 is £6236.00 for living elsewhere .

The amount of £8702.00 is the London rate of Maintenance Loan . If you are living and studying in London.

Thanks

Louise
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jkiyu)
    Hi Louise,

Thank you for your reply.

I read on a parliament UK document that the maximum maintanence loan for new full time undergraduates who started their course after 1 August 2016 is £8700 (students living away from home and outside of London).

The same document says that full time undergrads who started their course before 1 August 2016 will receive a maximum £6236 for living outside of London.

You advised me that I would be eligible for the amount of £6236 even though I am starting the Medicine course next academic year 2018/19 (ie after August 2016). Is £6236 the Maximum Maintanence loan I can receive because I had already started a previous degree before August 2016 and therefore am stuck at these rates?

Thank you,

Jasmine
    Hi Jasmine,

Louise has advised you correctly, £8702 is the maximum maintenance Loan for London, £6236 is the the maximum, based on household income, that you can receive if living elsewhere.

The loan rates are applicable to all students for the academic year 2018/19.

Regards Rona

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.