Medicine as 2nd degree 2018/19 Maintenance Loan Watch

jkiyu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Biochemistry for one year before withdrawing from the course. I then studied BSc Biomedicine (3 years) at a different university. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all four years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning 2018/19.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible, from years 1-4 of the Medicine degree, for the full maintenance loan of £8700 as a mature student living outside of London?

Many thanks,

Jasmine
Louise E SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jkiyu)
Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Biochemistry for one year before withdrawing from the course. I then studied BSc Biomedicine (3 years) at a different university. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all four years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning 2018/19.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible, from years 1-4 of the Medicine degree, for the full maintenance loan of £8700 as a mature student living outside of London?

Many thanks,

Jasmine
Hi Jasmine,

As you would be studying undergraduate Medicine as a second degree you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan for years 1-4 .

The maximum Means Tested Maintenance Loan amount for full year rate in 2018/19 is £6236.00 for living elsewhere .

The amount of £8702.00 is the London rate of Maintenance Loan . If you are living and studying in London.

Thanks

Louise
jkiyu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Louise,

Thank you for your reply.

I read on a parliament UK document that the maximum maintanence loan for new full time undergraduates who started their course after 1 August 2016 is £8700 (students living away from home and outside of London).

The same document says that full time undergrads who started their course before 1 August 2016 will receive a maximum £6236 for living outside of London.

You advised me that I would be eligible for the amount of £6236 even though I am starting the Medicine course next academic year 2018/19 (ie after August 2016). Is £6236 the Maximum Maintanence loan I can receive because I had already started a previous degree before August 2016 and therefore am stuck at these rates?

Thank you,

Jasmine

(Original post by Louise E SFE)
Hi Jasmine,

As you would be studying undergraduate Medicine as a second degree you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan for years 1-4 .

The maximum Means Tested Maintenance Loan amount for full year rate in 2018/19 is £6236.00 for living elsewhere .

The amount of £8702.00 is the London rate of Maintenance Loan . If you are living and studying in London.

Thanks

Louise
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jkiyu)
Hi Louise,

Thank you for your reply.

I read on a parliament UK document that the maximum maintanence loan for new full time undergraduates who started their course after 1 August 2016 is £8700 (students living away from home and outside of London).

The same document says that full time undergrads who started their course before 1 August 2016 will receive a maximum £6236 for living outside of London.

You advised me that I would be eligible for the amount of £6236 even though I am starting the Medicine course next academic year 2018/19 (ie after August 2016). Is £6236 the Maximum Maintanence loan I can receive because I had already started a previous degree before August 2016 and therefore am stuck at these rates?

Thank you,

Jasmine
Hi Jasmine,

Louise has advised you correctly, £8702 is the maximum maintenance Loan for London, £6236 is the the maximum, based on household income, that you can receive if living elsewhere.

The loan rates are applicable to all students for the academic year 2018/19.

Regards Rona
fuzzmuzz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Sfe, this is not what it says on your website. It's says 8,700 max for living outside London. And 11,354 for living in London but away from home.
smurfette44
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Louise,Is this also true if I the applicant is from the EU, but intends to stay in the UK and holds a permanent resident certificate?Thanks!
SFE Tegan
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi,

I can confirm the maximum Maintenance Loan for students living in London is £11354 for the academic year 2018/19 and £8700 elsewhere. I apologise for any confusion caused by the previous information which is related to the Special Support Loan and not the standard Maintenance Loan.

Smurfette44, EU students are entitled to Tuition Fee only unless they have lived in the UK for 5 years or are working during their studies.

Warm regards,
Tégan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.81%
Impatient (217)
12.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise