Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Biochemistry for one year before withdrawing from the course. I then studied BSc Biomedicine (3 years) at a different university. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all four years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning 2018/19.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible, from years 1-4 of the Medicine degree, for the full maintenance loan of £8700 as a mature student living outside of London?

Many thanks,

Jasmine
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jkiyu)
    Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Biochemistry for one year before withdrawing from the course. I then studied BSc Biomedicine (3 years) at a different university. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all four years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning 2018/19.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible, from years 1-4 of the Medicine degree, for the full maintenance loan of £8700 as a mature student living outside of London?

Many thanks,

Jasmine
    Hi Jasmine,

As you would be studying undergraduate Medicine as a second degree you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan for years 1-4 .

The maximum Means Tested Maintenance Loan amount for full year rate in 2018/19 is £6236.00 for living elsewhere .

The amount of £8702.00 is the London rate of Maintenance Loan . If you are living and studying in London.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise,

Thank you for your reply.

I read on a parliament UK document that the maximum maintanence loan for new full time undergraduates who started their course after 1 August 2016 is £8700 (students living away from home and outside of London).

The same document says that full time undergrads who started their course before 1 August 2016 will receive a maximum £6236 for living outside of London.

You advised me that I would be eligible for the amount of £6236 even though I am starting the Medicine course next academic year 2018/19 (ie after August 2016). Is £6236 the Maximum Maintanence loan I can receive because I had already started a previous degree before August 2016 and therefore am stuck at these rates?

Thank you,

Jasmine

(Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi Jasmine,

As you would be studying undergraduate Medicine as a second degree you would be eligible for Maintenance Loan for years 1-4 .

The maximum Means Tested Maintenance Loan amount for full year rate in 2018/19 is £6236.00 for living elsewhere .

The amount of £8702.00 is the London rate of Maintenance Loan . If you are living and studying in London.

Thanks

Louise
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jkiyu)
    Hi Louise,

Thank you for your reply.

I read on a parliament UK document that the maximum maintanence loan for new full time undergraduates who started their course after 1 August 2016 is £8700 (students living away from home and outside of London).

The same document says that full time undergrads who started their course before 1 August 2016 will receive a maximum £6236 for living outside of London.

You advised me that I would be eligible for the amount of £6236 even though I am starting the Medicine course next academic year 2018/19 (ie after August 2016). Is £6236 the Maximum Maintanence loan I can receive because I had already started a previous degree before August 2016 and therefore am stuck at these rates?

Thank you,

Jasmine
    Hi Jasmine,

Louise has advised you correctly, £8702 is the maximum maintenance Loan for London, £6236 is the the maximum, based on household income, that you can receive if living elsewhere.

The loan rates are applicable to all students for the academic year 2018/19.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sfe, this is not what it says on your website. It's says 8,700 max for living outside London. And 11,354 for living in London but away from home.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.