Turn on thread page Beta

Hello, I'm in my teens and live with my 2 siblings and my mum. My mum has struggled financially all her life, but my grandma is really wealthy. My grandma raised my mum with little money just like my mum is raising me and my siblings, but she managed to gain her success later in her life. She has always supported my mum, but always kept her money close, and made it out like she didn't have a lot. The past few years my grandma has helped us out less and less. We never relied on my gran or anything, she would just help us out with basic necessities such as school equipment. Anyways the past few years she has stopped helping out and is showing less care for us. Recently I found out that she has a lot more money than she made out.

She has now decided to completely stop helping us out. I rarely ever ask her for anything but the other day I asked her for some money for school books and she said that she isn't going to support us anymore because she had to get through it without any help so that means I should too.

This mentality it quite sick to me because if I had struggles raising a child I would want my child to not have those struggles when they raise their child and would do anything to help. She doesn't need any of that money, she has no mortgage, loans, debts, nothing. The money will end up with us in the future anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Aight I got you.
    She could on the verge of dying and is cutting ties off. This typically suggests that she left her fortune to your mum or you lot perhaps.

or she a cold stoned bitc*. If it turns out to be the latter then let me at her I'll steal you lot some money from that pesky shite.

ReputationRep:
    aight I think she might very well be a sadist but if not and she is on the verge of death then I give it a week or two. Precisely a week. lemme know how it goes.

(Original post by AspiringAccount)
    aight I think she might very well be a sadist but if not and she is on the verge of death then I give it a week or two. Precisely a week. lemme know how it goes.
    ok ill let u know
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    She has no obligation to help you out. You don't know her situation. How do you know whether she's in debt or not?

ReputationRep:
    she has no obligation to help you, although it does sound a bit scrooge like for her to withdraw all support

however at the end of the day it's your mums job to support you not your gran
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Her money, her choice.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The money will end up with us in the future anyway.
    Will it?

Don't start planning for the future assuming you'll get an inheritance in due course -- it might not happen.

(Original post by martin7)
    Will it?

Don't start planning for the future assuming you'll get an inheritance in due course -- it might not happen.
    where would the money go?

ReputationRep:

World Vision?
    The RSPCA...?

Spoiler:
    Show

i've heard stuff like this happening before...........
    don't count your chickens before they've hatched is my advice..

ReputationRep:
    She might spend it in her lifetime. She might need to go into a care home/nursing home (these are not cheap).

And when she dies you might find she's left some or all of it to charity.

ReputationRep:
    This is a really awkward situation? Do you guys help her at all? Maybe you could offer to help her in exchange for her help with your financial situation?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Topic discussion ended

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.