Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    IMO an hour long lecture is way too long. Human brain can’t focus on one thing for that long, especially if it’s just someone eating w PowerPoint. When’s the lecturer gives of the impression they don’t want to be there themselves (or have no interest in what they’re talking about). Lecturers have left mid-session to return later while on my undergrad one straight up said uni wouldn’t let him get away with not giving lectures.

What’s the perfect length for them you think?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mine turtle)
    IMO an hour long lecture is way too long. Human brain can’t focus on one thing for that long, especially if it’s just someone eating w PowerPoint. When’s the lecturer gives of the impression they don’t want to be there themselves (or have no interest in what they’re talking about). Lecturers have left mid-session to return later while on my undergrad one straight up said uni wouldn’t let him get away with not giving lectures.

I would love 15 minutes, break 5, 15, break 5, 15...

I think uni is about self teaching anyway :lol:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Yeah, I prefer an hour too. We did have 2 hour ones and were given a 15 minute break after the first hour.

ReputationRep:
    If you think 1 hour is long you should try 4 hours

ReputationRep:
    I jave one specific lecturer that doean't like his lectures it seems and they are so boring.

One other lecturer has two hour lectures but gives us a twenty min break and is interesting to listen to. His are the only ones I really enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I think after 45-60 mins you should have a break but I don't have an issue with a 2-3 hour lecture. TBH they're often going into very in depth subjects and just doing 30 minutes wouldn't give the time to go into detail properly. Lateness would also be a bigger issue. And you'd have to move between lectures way more often, wasting time. I think small teaching groups are a bit better anyway personally as then you can do group actvities and discussions etc rather than just listening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mine turtle)

Back in 2 and 3rd year it was normal and routine for us to have 2 hour lectures. In first year we had regular 3 hour lectures. I think you just need to improve your stamina

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmudz_009)
    Back in 2 and 3rd year it was normal and routine for us to have 2 hour lectures. In first year we had regular 3 hour lectures. I think you just need to improve your stamina
    I’ve never paid attention to things that aren’t interesting. Same as school really, where I’d actually be daydreaming or drawing in my book most of the time (about stories to write, characters to make, games to play, things to do outside of school, imagining what characters would do in my situation, songs I wan t to play on guitar or how to play a song I already know). I would tune back in when I was required to do something. Thing is, lectures don’t need you to do anything and I can’t take notes live because they move on too fast (and are usually overly text heavy with a lot of monotone unenthusiastic delivery which, ironically, they’d mark us down for if we did that). Paying full attention (uni in general actually) makes me die a little inside and then the fight becomes staying awake. There were one or teachers in school where this wasn’t an issue, because they knew how to teach, plus I still had an end goal in mind.

Back to the one hour thing, I looked this up a while back and one hour solid concentration isn’t something humans are that great at because it peaks and then drops off long before the hour, maybe it I’ll come back later but it doesn’t stay consistent over the hour. Looking round the lecture room like I sometimes do, a lot of people aren’t tuned in (on phones, messaging, sleeping or just straight up having a conversation etc.). Although, the subject matter is probably a contributing factor since when I was doing a short business course I was engaged (I had an end goal then too) and it didn’t feel like a major effort or time sink

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.