Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently working at Primark and plan to transfer to a store in my university of choice's (TBC) town.

I've just thought however, that if I do, I probably won't be able to go home at the end of my first year.

All of my choices are 50+ miles from home, so it would be unreasonable (not to mention expensive!) to commute every day during summer just to get to work.

I have noticed however, that university accommodation has the option for 45 or 51 week lease (depending on universities), so would it be reasonable for me to take the 51 week lease?

Or I might see if I can temporary transfer my contract to my hometown for the summer?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by WildPyromancer)
    Hi, I'm currently working at Primark and plan to transfer to a store in my university of choice's (TBC) town.

I've just thought however, that if I do, I probably won't be able to go home at the end of my first year.

All of my choices are 50+ miles from home, so it would be unreasonable (not to mention expensive!) to commute every day during summer just to get to work.

I have noticed however, that university accommodation has the option for 45 or 51 week lease (depending on universities), so would it be reasonable for me to take the 51 week lease?

Or I might see if I can temporary transfer my contract to my hometown for the summer?
    Most students moving out of halls into a shared house will do this at the start of the summer. It’s often possible to rent a room over the summer for much less than you would pay in halls. I wouldn’t commit now to an expensive 51 week contract unless you plan to live in halls for your second year too.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alec33)
    As a current college student i solemly believe that college should be tuition free. When you see a middle class person complain about the tuition costs you know there is a problem. With college costs not only come to tuition but also the materials needed for each class . College books are ridiculously expensive we must also cover other costs our selves. In this country with rising college tuition costs there is also a message that the best of education goes to those who can afford it. I believe that education is a right not a privaledge I believe that everyone should have equal access to education regardless of income. I just feel like there is no longer a middle class population and the gap between the top 1% wealthy and the rest of the lower class population is getting bigger and bigger.
    I think you have posted this on the wrong thread
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Often large chains have a facility to allow students to transfer during the holidays, so I would ask your employers if that would be ok.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.