Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've read quite a few reviews about how the chemical engineering department at UCL is not good and lacks student satisfaction. These reviews were around 3-4 years ago.

I was wondering if anyone that is currently studying this course at UCL feels the same or do they feel like it has changed.

I am planning on studying chemical engineering at UCL in september 2018 and have been given my offer, but reading these reviews has made me double minded about applying there.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the visit day
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsk800)
    Go to the visit day
    I've been to many open days and applicant days. I even attended a summer school at UCL last summer. I live 20 minutes away from UCL so I have a pretty good idea about the university life.

However, at open days universities try and promote the course so only show the good side about it. So I think it's better to get some reviews about the course from people that are actual studying the course at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous619)
    I've been to many open days and applicant days. I even attended a summer school at UCL last summer. I live 20 minutes away from UCL so I have a pretty good idea about the university life.

However, at open days universities try and promote the course so only show the good side about it. So I think it's better to get some reviews about the course from people that are actual studying the course at the moment
    London isn't the best for student life imo
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi,

I've read quite a few reviews about how the chemical engineering department at UCL is not good and lacks student satisfaction. These reviews were around 3-4 years ago.

I was wondering if anyone that is currently studying this course at UCL feels the same or do they feel like it has changed.

I am planning on studying chemical engineering at UCL in september 2018 and have been given my offer, but reading these reviews has made me double minded about applying there.
    Hello,

Just going to give this a bump and move it over to the UCL subforum for you. Hopefully, a current student will see your thread and give an honest review over there.

ReputationRep:
    1. I graduated from UCL last year after I did 4 years of chemeng and trust me it's a uni that you do not want to go to unless you are well connected with people. After working my ass off doing coursework that is due in a few weeks before exams- I barely get time to study since I do a lot of coursework and when I mean a lot I mean a LOT. A lot of people that arent hardworking do not go through this process- they get sends off similar coursework from the year above or from other students and they collaborate and spend less time on cwk and work more for exams. This is if you are well connected and within the circle, if you are not you are in trouble my friend. You will have to work your ass off the entire degree whilst you see people chill and still get higher marks than you. If you are religious, good for you because societies in the years above will let you access to their work and hence you will end up doing less work. If you enter uni outside of this loop then you're in trouble. Other universities change their exams and courseworks greatly over the years but UCL does not and hence quite a large fraction of students end up doing dubious things. Furthermore, you do not get as much coursework in other universities and you are more likely to enjoy chemical engineering and learn a lot more without killing yourself over it.

ReputationRep:
    aside from the coursework element of it... how is the course, the department etc?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hi! im nin the same boat, let me know if you come across anything useful. PM me if you wish

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.