Turn on thread page Beta

Chances of being accepted into top Univeristy choice with lower than required grades? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I’m new here, and this is just a throwaway account. Anyway, having gone through the arduous process of applying to universities some months ago, and having now received offers from all (conditional and unconditional), I would like to ask the chances of getting in somewhere when my grades do not meet the requirements.

The option I am talking about is York, and in particularly, to study Law at York university. This however, would require grades of AAA. My predictions, currently, stand at ABB and realistically, I am very unlikely to exceed these. I do not consider myself unintelligent, but equally I would not class myself as particularly academic and I feel something like AAA is out of the question for me (somebody who only scored As and Bs at GCSE level).

Last week, I had a semi-successful interview for my course, and following this have received a conditional offer subject to the grades I obtain.

I will be attending university regardless all said and done, as I have 3 unconditional offers, though it must be noted none of which I particularly would like to accept. My question: how likely am I, with let’s say grades of BBB-ABB, to be accepted into my top choice? Is there realistically any chance I can get in, considering it is unequivocally my top choice and I am deemed semi-suitable for the course, following interview.

(Would like to apologise in advance for formatting - it’s late and this is being done from mobile). I will get around to responding on the morrow, provided there are any responses.

Would like to hear opinions from people on these forums and any help would be very much appreciated!
    Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Ollie_18x)
    Hello. I’m new here, and this is just a throwaway account. Anyway, having gone through the arduous process of applying to universities some months ago, and having now received offers from all (conditional and unconditional), I would like to ask the chances of getting in somewhere when my grades do not meet the requirements.

The option I am talking about is York, and in particularly, to study Law at York university. This however, would require grades of AAA. My predictions, currently, stand at ABB and realistically, I am very unlikely to exceed these. I do not consider myself unintelligent, but equally I would not class myself as particularly academic and I feel something like AAA is out of the question for me (somebody who only scored As and Bs at GCSE level).

Last week, I had a semi-successful interview for my course, and following this have received a conditional offer subject to the grades I obtain.

I will be attending university regardless all said and done, as I have 3 unconditional offers, though it must be noted none of which I particularly would like to accept. My question: how likely am I, with let’s say grades of BBB-ABB, to be accepted into my top choice? Is there realistically any chance I can get in, considering it is unequivocally my top choice and I am deemed semi-suitable for the course, following interview.

(Would like to apologise in advance for formatting - it’s late and this is being done from mobile). I will get around to responding on the morrow, provided there are any responses.

Would like to hear opinions from people on these forums and any help would be very much appreciated!
    Thank you.
    The average accepted grades a couple of years ago was ABB (see https://university.which.co.uk/unive...0-m100-A30-J45 and scroll down) so it’s not unknown for them to accept applicants with grades below AAA. But there’s no guarantees - it will all depend upon how much demand they have from applicants who met the requirements.

If it’s your favourite choice then it’s not a complete shot in the dark to put as your firm (but aim to meet your predictions or higher to give yourself the most chance).

If you don’t like any of your other choices then don’t pick them as insurance. It’s better to go straight into clearing than to be tied to a course you wouldn’t be happy with. Those universities offering unconditional offers are doing that because they are short on applicants - so they’ll likely be in clearing too if you change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    I think at the moment you have the wrong mentality and is probably what is holding you back. If you are deemed suitable for the course then you should more than capable to get the grades.

If you want to go to the university, that should motivate you and drive you to achieve those grades.

Predicted grades have that name for a reason they’re just ‘predictions’ and do not determine anything at all.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.