Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who didnt / or who wont be going to uni, what did you do/are you going to do instead? Have you had success?

ReputationRep:
    For a long time I thought to myself, if i dont go, i wont get a good job, i wont be respected, others will look down on me. I wont have a social life.. i wont meet anyone decent to date..

I then realised, you know what, im not anti - uni, but, if i dont really know deep down what i want to study, (even though ive given it much thought!), and im not even sure if uni right for me, why should i spend 3/4 years doing something, just because im worried about what others think of me.

Have you had success without university/degree? Do you have any tips for me?

ReputationRep:
    I binned it off after a little over a month when I was 18. I still met great girls, I still had boss mates (most of whom I still knock around with now, actually). I didn't stay in touch with anyone fro0m my first stint at uni, and I stay in touch with about 7 people from my second. My mates all come from elsewhere.

I did some shite jobs (skivvying on a dock in torrential rain when it's - figures out isn't fun), and then I flitted off abroad to do that typical working in bars and nightclubs year - that was brilliant, and in some ways the most formative year of my life.

When I went back, it was a considered decision that it had taken me the better part of 6 years to reach, and it was with one particular job in mind. If not for that, I don't think I'd have ever bothered, and certainly not for the reasons you outline above.

TL;DR: you can still have a great life without a degree. You can still meet great people. You can still live how you want to.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your feedback !

What do you do now if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njc313245)
    Thank you for your feedback !

What do you do now if you don't mind me asking?
    Teach in a university, believe it or not! :laugh: (I'm just finishing up my PhD)

ReputationRep:
    Nice!!Which subject ? 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njc313245)
    Nice!!Which subject ? 😂😂
    Philosophy :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.