Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am preparing to apply for BSc in Creative Computing from University of London International Program

I need help understanding the Entry Requirements. It says:

Either passes in:
    • two subjects at GCE A level, plus at least three further subjects at GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C or a ‘pass’ if taken prior to 1975) or
    • three subjects at GCE A level (with one A level at not less than grade D) or
    • three subjects at GCE A level, plus one further subject at GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C) or
    • two subjects at GCE A level, plus two further subjects at GCE AS level.

When it says GCE A Level, does it mean that I need to have GCSE Certification and A Level Certificate?

I am enrolling courses from ICS Learn UK for refresher before I take my exams.

So is it for example, I am taking Mathematics - I'll need to take the GCSE Mathematics, then A Level Mathematics? And then take the exam for each to earn the GCE A Level Certificate? Thank you so much.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by rosepajaroja)
    I am preparing to apply for BSc in Creative Computing from University of London International Program

I need help understanding the Entry Requirements. It says:

Either passes in:
    • two subjects at GCE A level, plus at least three further subjects at GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C or a ‘pass’ if taken prior to 1975) or
    • three subjects at GCE A level (with one A level at not less than grade D) or
    • three subjects at GCE A level, plus one further subject at GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C) or
    • two subjects at GCE A level, plus two further subjects at GCE AS level.

When it says GCE A Level, does it mean that I need to have GCSE Certification and A Level Certificate?

I am enrolling courses from ICS Learn UK for refresher before I take my exams.

So is it for example, I am taking Mathematics - I'll need to take the GCSE Mathematics, then A Level Mathematics? And then take the exam for each to earn the GCE A Level Certificate? Thank you so much.

It is normal you take GCSEs in years 10-11 and then GCE A levels in years 12-13.

If you read those entry requirements it gives you four options.
    Options 1,3 and 4 require GCSEs + GCE A level i.e you need both.
    Option 2 requires just three A levels.

Just pick the category that you can meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It is normal you take GCSEs in years 10-11 and then GCE A levels in years 12-13.

If you read those entry requirements it gives you four options.
    Options 1,3 and 4 require GCSEs + GCE A level i.e you need both.
    Option 2 requires just three A levels.

Just pick the category that you can meet.
    Thank you. We don't have this in my country, and I am only taking exam as private candidate to get certified. Should I need to take GCSE and A Level? Or taking A Level would be enough? Thank you so much.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by rosepajaroja)
    Thank you. We don't have this in my country, and I am only taking exam as private candidate to get certified. Should I need to take GCSE and A Level? Or taking A Level would be enough? Thank you so much.
    There are 4 options given. You have to decide which one best suits you.

In the UK exams go:

Years 10-11- take GCSE/ O levels

In year 12 People took AS levels and this is still the case if you are international and study international A levels., but AS levels arent really taken in the UK that often anymore. An AS levels is equivalent to half an A level and takes one year.

In year 13 you would do A2, which when combined with AS makes a full A level.

It is normal to take GCSE as these are shorter and easier, then move onto AS and A2 for full A levels. It could take you four years to do that and is the most logical and imo the easiest way to do it.

Option 1 is 3 x GCSE and then 2x A levels at the required grade.
    GCSE is good to get experience and build your skills with a subject before moving onto the harder A levels.

Option 2,3 and 4 require three A levels. That can be shorter, but you may find it much too hard to jump straight to A levels. It depends on yoru age, intelligence and how confident with exams you are. Virtually all UK students do GCSE and then A levels. Many people find A levels hard.

You need to discover more about international GCSE and A levels . the main provider is Cambridge international. The exams are equivalent to
    UK GCSE or A level an will be recognised worldwide.

http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...n-brochure.pdf

http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...e-secondary-2/

http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...idge-advanced/

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the detailed information.

I am choosing EDEXCEL. By the way, I'm already 33 yrs old this year, and already working.

I am thinking of taking A Level Psychology, A Level Business and GCSE Math this year then A Level Math next year.

However, I feel like I also want to take A Level English Language, am just a little worried it's too hard and won't pass it.

I could probably choose any subjects I want, but just to include Math.

Any suggestions which subject to take? Thank you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.