General Entry Requirements - BSc Creative Computing

Watch this thread
rosepajaroja
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am preparing to apply for BSc in Creative Computing from University of London International Program

I need help understanding the Entry Requirements. It says:

Either passes in:
  • two subjects at GCE A level, plus at least three further subjects at GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C or a ‘pass’ if taken prior to 1975) or
  • three subjects at GCE A level (with one A level at not less than grade D) or
  • three subjects at GCE A level, plus one further subject at GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C) or
  • two subjects at GCE A level, plus two further subjects at GCE AS level.

When it says GCE A Level, does it mean that I need to have GCSE Certification and A Level Certificate?

I am enrolling courses from ICS Learn UK for refresher before I take my exams.

So is it for example, I am taking Mathematics - I'll need to take the GCSE Mathematics, then A Level Mathematics? And then take the exam for each to earn the GCE A Level Certificate? Thank you so much.
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rosepajaroja)
I am preparing to apply for BSc in Creative Computing from University of London International Program

I need help understanding the Entry Requirements. It says:

Either passes in:
  • two subjects at GCE A level, plus at least three further subjects at GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C or a ‘pass’ if taken prior to 1975) or
  • three subjects at GCE A level (with one A level at not less than grade D) or
  • three subjects at GCE A level, plus one further subject at GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C) or
  • two subjects at GCE A level, plus two further subjects at GCE AS level.

When it says GCE A Level, does it mean that I need to have GCSE Certification and A Level Certificate?

I am enrolling courses from ICS Learn UK for refresher before I take my exams.

So is it for example, I am taking Mathematics - I'll need to take the GCSE Mathematics, then A Level Mathematics? And then take the exam for each to earn the GCE A Level Certificate? Thank you so much.

It is normal you take GCSEs in years 10-11 and then GCE A levels in years 12-13.

If you read those entry requirements it gives you four options.
Options 1,3 and 4 require GCSEs + GCE A level i.e you need both.
Option 2 requires just three A levels.

Just pick the category that you can meet.
rosepajaroja
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
It is normal you take GCSEs in years 10-11 and then GCE A levels in years 12-13.

If you read those entry requirements it gives you four options.
Options 1,3 and 4 require GCSEs + GCE A level i.e you need both.
Option 2 requires just three A levels.

Just pick the category that you can meet.
Thank you. We don't have this in my country, and I am only taking exam as private candidate to get certified. Should I need to take GCSE and A Level? Or taking A Level would be enough? Thank you so much.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rosepajaroja)
Thank you. We don't have this in my country, and I am only taking exam as private candidate to get certified. Should I need to take GCSE and A Level? Or taking A Level would be enough? Thank you so much.
There are 4 options given. You have to decide which one best suits you.

In the UK exams go:

Years 10-11- take GCSE/ O levels

In year 12 People took AS levels and this is still the case if you are international and study international A levels., but AS levels arent really taken in the UK that often anymore. An AS levels is equivalent to half an A level and takes one year.

In year 13 you would do A2, which when combined with AS makes a full A level.

It is normal to take GCSE as these are shorter and easier, then move onto AS and A2 for full A levels. It could take you four years to do that and is the most logical and imo the easiest way to do it.

Option 1 is 3 x GCSE and then 2x A levels at the required grade.
GCSE is good to get experience and build your skills with a subject before moving onto the harder A levels.

Option 2,3 and 4 require three A levels. That can be shorter, but you may find it much too hard to jump straight to A levels. It depends on yoru age, intelligence and how confident with exams you are. Virtually all UK students do GCSE and then A levels. Many people find A levels hard.

You need to discover more about international GCSE and A levels . the main provider is Cambridge international. The exams are equivalent to
UK GCSE or A level an will be recognised worldwide.

http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...n-brochure.pdf

http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...e-secondary-2/

http://www.cambridgeinternational.or...idge-advanced/
rosepajaroja
Rep:
Thank you for the detailed information.

I am choosing EDEXCEL. By the way, I'm already 33 yrs old this year, and already working.

I am thinking of taking A Level Psychology, A Level Business and GCSE Math this year then A Level Math next year.

However, I feel like I also want to take A Level English Language, am just a little worried it's too hard and won't pass it.

I could probably choose any subjects I want, but just to include Math.

Any suggestions which subject to take? Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (66)
66.67%
No (25)
25.25%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
8.08%

Watched Threads