Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So this post is on two fronts : the first being that for various reasons due to mitigating circumstances relating to health in particular my final year of undergraduate was effected adversely (kindly acknowledged in writing by former uni despite their then refusal to use any concessionary powers to mitigate the effect as coursework marks were so high I successfully passed everything) now this gives me an issue applying for PhD's straight out the gate as I'm disputing it with my Old uni and fully expect a successful resolution however the final step has been delayed in that regard till well no earlier than April.

On the other front I particularly want to stay at my current uni however they know and have requested my recent Jan results.... And to say I messed up would be an understatement. Now 50% my MSc is the research project. However it doesn't look good on paper because between being abit distracted last term by the whole "oooh new uni" effect (and a collosally stupid couple of mistakes) like if I were them seeing those marks I'd probably throw my application in the bin.... So how screwed am I? Or are they likely to be abit less judgemental and at least give me an interview? Considering the weighting of the research project etc and the fact my current marks can simply be resolved by summer resit of exams. Or am I likely looking at having to get a job for a year and reapply with a fully complete MSc next year if I want todo a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extermin8or)
    So this post is on two fronts : the first being that for various reasons due to mitigating circumstances relating to health in particular my final year of undergraduate was effected adversely (kindly acknowledged in writing by former uni despite their then refusal to use any concessionary powers to mitigate the effect as coursework marks were so high I successfully passed everything) now this gives me an issue applying for PhD's straight out the gate as I'm disputing it with my Old uni and fully expect a successful resolution however the final step has been delayed in that regard till well no earlier than April.

On the other front I particularly want to stay at my current uni however they know and have requested my recent Jan results.... And to say I messed up would be an understatement. Now 50% my MSc is the research project. However it doesn't look good on paper because between being abit distracted last term by the whole "oooh new uni" effect (and a collosally stupid couple of mistakes) like if I were them seeing those marks I'd probably throw my application in the bin.... So how screwed am I? Or are they likely to be abit less judgemental and at least give me an interview? Considering the weighting of the research project etc and the fact my current marks can simply be resolved by summer resit of exams. Or am I likely looking at having to get a job for a year and reapply with a fully complete MSc next year if I want todo a PhD.
    Ok so it doesn't look good - that's right. But at least you know that, so you can try to rectify that. Getting a funded PhD is going to be tough - even with a first in your MSc thesis.
    There are options though:
    1. Just try and apply anyway and see how far you get.
    2. Do another MSc and ace it.
    3. Do a self-funded PhD.
    4. Take a year or two in industry to make up for the degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Should add the field of study is Experimental Physics not sure how that will effect matters because I don't know what application rates and stuff are...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mip22)
    Ok so it doesn't look good - that's right. But at least you know that, so you can try to rectify that. Getting a funded PhD is going to be tough - even with a first in your MSc thesis.
    There are options though:
    1. Just try and apply anyway and see how far you get.
    2. Do another MSc and ace it.
    3. Do a self-funded PhD.
    4. Take a year or two in industry to make up for the degrees.
    Yes... My main concern is that I fix it but had no offers and then.... What todo for a year... Because well everything costs money unfortunately. This is my main concern tbh. How to finance anything further. As with points 3 and 4. See if I were rolling in money I'd have that option. Unfortunately I am not lol (I'm not usually this way inclined in terms of political views but in this matter it does irritate me that if my family were rich even now I'd have significantly less to be stressed about because I could just 'self' fund whereas as they aren't I'm sitting on a financial time bomb so to speak haha.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.