The Student Room Group

AQA AS- and A-level Philosophy 1 PHLS1 / 2 PHLS2 - 16 May or 04 Jun 2018

Philosophy AS (epistemology/philosophy of religion): 16th May 2018 AM
Philosophy A2 (Ethics/philosophy of the mind): 4th June 2018 PM
Hey!
Thought I'd start a thread for the AQA Philosophy exam this year as I struggle with the subject as its sooo much content. If anyone has any notes/predictions/ study tips to share that would be amazinggg! goodluck!

I have found these notes (credit to owner) for anyone resitting the AS, i'm trying to find the A2 ones and will post them when I do!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tspejkq8phe24f2/AADzSaH6GYk7tfxjubD_YWFBa?dl=0

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
HELLO I’M DOING IT TOO AHH TWINS
i’m resitting too lol .
we should share notes etc .
Reply 2
Original post by sjkkx
HELLO I’M DOING IT TOO AHH TWINS
i’m resitting too lol .
we should share notes etc .

Hello! Yes that would be great, I feel like i have so much to remember with all the AS content on top of A2
Reply 3
AHHH i get you ! but its kinda an advantage too tbf because doing a2 has rlly put as into perspective for me.
Add me on snapchat and we can help each other revise etc, krazedup
What grade are you looking to get
Reply 4
Ahh!! Dont worry we will make it work.
Add me on snap // krazedup
Hi Nice exam thread! I've added it to our big list of exam threads here where you can find helpful threads for all the exams you're doing If you feel like making any more exam threads, let me know the link and I can add it in as well! Happy revising
Doing this exam too. Think I am going to fail. There is way too much to learn and apply!!!!!! Dying here
Original post by madylbaugh
Doing this exam too. Think I am going to fail. There is way too much to learn and apply!!!!!! Dying here

Same!😬 I always think i’ve written the right things in mocks but there’s always so much more detail needed
Original post by Meglizzieyoung
Same!😬 I always think i’ve written the right things in mocks but there’s always so much more detail needed

We haven't done many mocks which makes me even more worried. Hoping the whole country does badly to grade boundaries are low. It's honestly just a joke. We are also studying theories which have bene counteracted and proved wrong so they're dead theories!!!! There is no point in that!
Reply 9
We haven't done many mocks which makes me even more worried. Hoping the whole country does badly to grade boundaries are low. It's honestly just a joke. We are also studying theories which have bene counteracted and proved wrong so they're dead theories!!!! There is no point in that!

ikr!! we haven't even started AS revision in school when almost the whole class are re-siting, I also agree I find it so hard to argue a theory with intent through a big essay if it just gets shut down my other philosophers
Reply 10

There is a point because you get marks for explaining what's wrong with those theories.
Original post by Joe312
There is a point because you get marks for explaining what's wrong with those theories.

Yes but philosophically speaking it's utterly pointless learning about it. It's not studied at degree level.
Reply 12
Yes but philosophically speaking it's utterly pointless learning about it. It's not studied at degree level.

It's good practice in developing philosophical skills and understanding the history of philosophy.

Which subject are you thinking of that's studied at A level but not degree level?
Hey! I'm also doing this! I'll be doing both exams this year as well.
My main concerns are- not many people do it so the grade boundaries will be high.

I'm worried about learning every single little detail. I am so bad at remembering things and It kind of annoys me how philosophy is meant to be about thinking but the majority of the exams are about memorising what people have said and regurgitating it in the exam. There are the essays, but even then you have to remember who said what etc etc.

I think Ive left revision too late as well. for philosophy I started about a week ago. Ack.
Original post by granitejanet
Hey! I'm also doing this! I'll be doing both exams this year as well.
My main concerns are- not many people do it so the grade boundaries will be high.

I'm worried about learning every single little detail. I am so bad at remembering things and It kind of annoys me how philosophy is meant to be about thinking but the majority of the exams are about memorising what people have said and regurgitating it in the exam. There are the essays, but even then you have to remember who said what etc etc.

I think Ive left revision too late as well. for philosophy I started about a week ago. Ack.

Literally same!!!!! I am so glad people feel similarly. It is such a huge stress. It certainly is only regurgitating what we have learned and not actually thinking. My class didn't take the AS exam....
Hey guys, Im doing both papers too and really panicking tbh. AS last year I underperformed so am resitting. I dont suppose anyone has any good example essays? Like for mind, behaviourism or eliminativism (I find these trickiest tbh). How are we feeling? I need to start learning everything :frown:
Theres a decent number of us on this chat so hopefully we can really help each other and by some miracle get through this stressful exam haha
Hey, I did both exams last year and got an A so any questions or any topics you're struggling with, let me know and I should be able to help! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by clucky_chick
Hey, I did both exams last year and got an A so any questions or any topics you're struggling with, let me know and I should be able to help! :smile:

if you have an tips for the bigger essay's (the 15 & 25 markers) that would be great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest