Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've been invited to sit the UGAA and I'm really struggling to find any helpful resources for writing such a short précis. I wrote one out for one of the past papers but it's really a stab in the dark - wondering if any students who have sat the UGAA would be kind enough to have a quick look?

Rupert Murdoch has written to the Guardian to deny he ever claimed that Downing Street does his bidding, as a bid by his US film and television group to acquire Sky is due to be formally notified to ministers.

The media mogul, who is chairman of 21st Century Fox, wrote: “I have made it a principle all my life never to ask for anything from any prime minister." In a rare move to write directly to a newspaper, Murdoch disputed a quote attributed to him in the Guardian and elsewhere in which he reportedly said: “When I go into Downing Street, they do what I say; when I go to Brussels, they take no notice.”

In his response, Murdoch added: “There is much fake news published about me, but let me make clear that I have never uttered those words.”

The intervention comes at a highly sensitive moment for Murdoch’s business interests, with Fox’s proposed £11.2bn takeover of the 61% of Sky he does not already own expected to be notified to the UK government for approval.

The culture secretary, Karen Bradley, has 10 working days from being notified to tell the regulator Ofcom whether a public interest investigation into the proposed takeover should be launched.

The former Labour leader Ed Miliband and former business secretary Vince Cable have called for the takeover to be blocked and referred to the regulator. A previous attempt by a Murdoch company to acquire the remaining part of Sky was withdrawn in the summer of 2011 at the height of the phone-hacking scandal, which was exposed by the Guardian and led to the closure of the News of the World. However, Fox, the company bidding on this occasion, does not own the newspapers; they are published by a separate business, News Corporation. The
    newspapers were hived off in the wake of the hacking scandal.

Robert Booth, ‘Rupert Murdoch: “I’ve Never Asked Any Prime Minister for Anything,” The Guardian, 19 December 2016.

My précis:

Robert Booth relays Murdoch’s written denial of having influence over UK politics in his article ‘Rupert Murdoch: I’ve Never Asked Any Prime Minister for Anything” (2016). Writing to The Guardian, Murdoch described prior reports of his influence over Downing Street as ‘fake news’. Booth notes the timing of the Murdoch’s rebuff of the claims: it coincides with the UK government’s consideration of the proposed takeover of the remaining 61% shares of Sky not owned by Murdoch. Such a take-over may warrant a public interest investigation, to be decided by the culture secretary, Karen Bradley. Previous opposition voiced towards an unregulated take-over is noted in the article, namely from Ed Miliband and Vince Cable. The withdrawal, in 2011, of a prior attempt to takeover the remaining shares of Sky by the Murdoch-owned News of the World took place amidst the ‘phone-hacking scandal’. Contrasting this, Fox does not own newspapers.

Any help at all would be massively appreciated!
    • TSR Community Team

TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.