Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My son has got offers for doing undergraduate courses in economics from the University of Essex, Sussex, Kent, Portsmouth and Coventry starting September 2018. Looking for honest advice on which university to join. Top employability is the focus area! Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Lots of advice about choosing Firm and Insurance here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

'Employability', whatever that means, is not a great way to choose a Uni/course as 'getting a job' depends much more on the individual not the exact Uni they went to. No Uni guarantees a stonker salary or life-long happiness, and its quite possible to have a 'good degree from a good Uni' and be totally unemployable and/or thoroughly miserable. The most successful graduates (from whatever Uni) are the ones who did heaps more than just study whilst they were there - study abroad, work placements, interesting holiday jobs, voluntary stuff at Uni, involvement in clubs/societies etc. and therefore have an interesting CV with more than just 'a degree' on it.

Your son needs to think back to Open Days and/or Visit Days and what he liked about the course/the Uni/the place its in.
    'The course' is actually the most important bit - which optional units would he choose in each year of the course, and why? If he is really enjoying what he is studying that will get him a good degree - and a feeling of satisfaction/confidence about what he is doing that will translate into a confident adult. That attitude/approach is what gets people through job interviews and career building, not the brand name of the Uni they went to - which is mostly marketing hype anyway.

All of the Unis he's applied to are 'good'. I'd lean away Coventry simply because its small and its expertise is engineering/tech subjects not social science (and its in Coventry!), but any of the others would be a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the elaborate answer! Appreciate your feedback and time!

Since we're located in India, it won't be possible to attend any open day. My son is a football player and would like to pursue that at highest possible levels. I'm myself MBA and a professional and understand what you have mentioned but since undergraduate degrees in UK aren't cheap, need to keep an eye on employability reputation.

Thank you once again!

[noQUOTE=returnmigrant;76222586]Lots of advice about choosing Firm and Insurance here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

'Employability', whatever that means, is not a great way to choose a Uni/course as 'getting a job' depends much more on the individual not the exact Uni they went to. No Uni guarantees a stonker salary or life-long happiness, and its quite possible to have a 'good degree from a good Uni' and be totally unemployable and/or thoroughly miserable. The most successful graduates (from whatever Uni) are the ones who did heaps more than just study whilst they were there - study abroad, work placements, interesting holiday jobs, voluntary stuff at Uni, involvement in clubs/societies etc. and therefore have an interesting CV with more than just 'a degree' on it.

Your son needs to think back to Open Days and/or Visit Days and what he liked about the course/the Uni/the place its in.
    'The course' is actually the most important bit - which optional units would he choose in each year of the course, and why? If he is really enjoying what he is studying that will get him a good degree - and a feeling of satisfaction/confidence about what he is doing that will translate into a confident adult. That attitude/approach is what gets people through job interviews and career building, not the brand name of the Uni they went to - which is mostly marketing hype anyway.

All of the Unis he's applied to are 'good'. I'd lean away Coventry simply because its small and its expertise is engineering/tech subjects not social science (and its in Coventry!), but any of the others would be a good choice.[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    By the way, we have shortlisted Sussex, Kent and Essex in that order.

Campus recruitment is one important feature that can't be ignored. Rest depends on the student how he or she has managed to groom himself or herself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aseem)
    Since we're located in India, it won't be possible to attend any open day.
    If he goes on YouTube he'll find films of each Uni's Open Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aseem)
    Hi,
    My son has got offers for doing undergraduate courses in economics from the University of Essex, Sussex, Kent, Portsmouth and Coventry starting September 2018. Looking for honest advice on which university to join. Top employability is the focus area! Many thanks!
    Hi!

I'm a current student at Essex so hopefully I can help you with this! I study politics but I have done a module in the Economics Department and the teaching was amazing. The lecturer was Italian and so engaging.

Seeing as your main focus is employability, I'll tell you a bit about my experiences with that. There are so many opportunities to build and improve skills that employers are looking for. I have done an on-campus internship called a Frontrunners placement. These are available in many departments, including Economics. They are paid also and are very flexible around your studies. I also work for the students' union and as a student ambassador.

Outside of my jobs, there are many other opportunities to improve employability. Our Careers and Employability office put on loads of events throughout the year, such as workshops to help you with applications, interviews and assessment centres. They also have a huge careers fair with both national and global employers present which is a great chance to make a good first impression.

I'm in my final year at the moment and my experience at Essex has allowed my to feel like I'm ready for the workplace, whatever career I go into.

Hope this helps!

Olivia

ReputationRep:
    Hi Olivia!

Thanks a lot for your elaborate response! Appreciate your time.

Well, probably Essex is among our top two choices and we hope to take an informed decision in a month's time.

Thank you once again for such a detailed response!

Best wishes,
    Aseem

(Original post by EssexLiv17)
    Hi!

I'm a current student at Essex so hopefully I can help you with this! I study politics but I have done a module in the Economics Department and the teaching was amazing. The lecturer was Italian and so engaging.

Seeing as your main focus is employability, I'll tell you a bit about my experiences with that. There are so many opportunities to build and improve skills that employers are looking for. I have done an on-campus internship called a Frontrunners placement. These are available in many departments, including Economics. They are paid also and are very flexible around your studies. I also work for the students' union and as a student ambassador.

Outside of my jobs, there are many other opportunities to improve employability. Our Careers and Employability office put on loads of events throughout the year, such as workshops to help you with applications, interviews and assessment centres. They also have a huge careers fair with both national and global employers present which is a great chance to make a good first impression.

I'm in my final year at the moment and my experience at Essex has allowed my to feel like I'm ready for the workplace, whatever career I go into.

Hope this helps!

Olivia

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.